1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What you can't coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chrisjent, Dec 16, 1999.

Tags:
  1. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

I attended the game tonight, and must express my opinion on the downfall in the 4th. with about five minutes remaining, the spurs started to double team the rockets guards (primarily francis and mobley) on the perimeter by sending duncan at them. no less than four times this left cato (and later thomas after a substition) open under the lid. the spurs didn't even rotate to cover this guy on the weakside post. all it would have taken was a quick swing or an ally. point being, court presence is a function of basketball knowledge as much as it is experience, and the rockets possess little of each. it is with great regret that you can only teach one of these traits.
    on another note, rudy called no less than three timeouts in the final period, and as i recall, when they came out those three possessions the result was either a 24 second violation or horrendous turnovers (yes, you all saw bullard jump in the air and throw a pass to no one in particular no matter how much you want to believe you imagined it). in my opinion such lack of productivity, or even showing a resemblance of an offensive set, is a function of lack of cohesivness, discipline and inability to execute rather than faulty coaching.

2. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

C.J.,
    You are so close to absolutely correct that I can't quibble with you. Coaches call plays and it's up to the players to respond to the defenses when the play is being executed (unless a pattern develops and Rudy must change the offensive flow). We looked out of place even when we were winning. Sean Elliot does commentary for the Spurs, and as obvious as his bias is, he hit the nail on the head when he said the Rockets inexperience would make us lose. Coaches can't teach experience-that comes with time, no matter what Caveman tries to pin on Rudy every time we lose.

3. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Pass1st Shoot2nd-

EXACTLY. I have been posting that as well. IT IS UP TO THE PLAYERS ON THE FLOOR TO GET IT DONE. Rudy has forgotten more ball than caveman will ever know.

------------------
    We would like to get rookie Francis on the break for some easy scoops in the first quarter...

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

BINGO !!!

Please read my post...The Rockets are Mental Midgets.

I don't see any indication of court savvy out of anyone with the small exception of Shandon Anderson, and glimpses from Kenny Thomas.

These players are clueless as far as baskeball IQ.

DaDakota

5. 3pointer

3pointer Member

That is why its called "GROWING PAINS" . We are currently goint through it and as painful as it is to watch all this experiences will make us better in the future. Mark my word.

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

you can't deny that rudy has done some horrible coaching this year. when was the last time he purely outcoached someone?

7. Lainey

Lainey Member

DaDakota - that's why it was SO frustrating to see Mobley in there in the 4th last night instead of Anderson. Can't really say what would have happened, but at least Anderson has experience in big game....I can't understand why he wasn't in there, while Mobley was (it's not like Mobley was exactly hot).