1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by countingcrow, May 1, 2002.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Fan takes M's to task for conduct

By José Miguel Romero
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Dave Chesson wants an apology from the Mariners, and he has asked the American Civil Liberties Union to help him get it.

Chesson, 40, is one of several fans who attended Mariners games against the New York Yankees last weekend and purchased T-shirts outside Safeco Field with the phrase, "Yankees Suck," written on the front. Some of the fans who tried to wear the shirts inside the ballpark were told to take them off, turn them inside out or leave the stadium.

Chesson, of Bellingham, went to Sunday's game with his girlfriend and two friends and bought the white shirt with blue lettering from a vendor near the Stadium Exhibition Center, north of Safeco Field. He changed into it after gaining admission to the ballpark. Later, while watching the game from the bullpen market area, Chesson said two plainclothes security officers approached him and ordered him to take off the shirt on the spot.

Chesson said he thought the guards were joking, but when it became apparent that he was facing ejection from the stadium, he took off the shirt and changed into another one.

Chesson's biggest issue with the Mariners and stadium personnel is that he felt "they were violating my rights," and on Monday, he contacted the Seattle office of the ACLU to see if he has a case against the team.

Rebecca Hale, the Mariners' director of public information, contended that the team's actions were justified under the Safeco Field code of conduct regarding fans' enjoyment of the game and the ballpark's family-friendly atmosphere.

Doug Honig, public-education director for the ACLU of Washington, confirmed yesterday that the Seattle office is "looking into" the issue and will do some research before deciding whether to assist Chesson.

"The fact that maybe some people may be offended (by the T-shirts) is beside the point," Honig said. "Insulting the other team is part of baseball. In a publicly-owned stadium, the ownership shouldn't prevent people from watching the game because someone is wearing a T-shirt."

The controversy, meanwhile, has gone national: Syndicated radio shock jock Tom Leykis turned the affair into a hot topic on his show yesterday, offering $1,000 to any listener who could be quoted in the local newspapers.

"I thought the stadium was publicly funded," said Chesson, who was scheduled to do a radio interview for a national show early this morning. "They (the security guards) had me up against the bullpen fence. I made it very clear that I was taking the shirt off under protest. I was shocked that they made me change my shirt right there, and by then there was like 20 people standing around. As a person and season-ticket holder, I was humiliated. I didn't deserve to be treated that way."

Chesson took the names of the security personnel and had one of his friends take pictures of the incident. He has called Hale and filed a formal complaint and added that he would ask the team to buy back his season-ticket package if the issue is not resolved.

"I'm willing to take this as far as I can," Chesson said. "I don't want a thing. I want an apology for the fans and a clear line in the sand as to what the stadium policy is."

Said Hale: "We've got a code of conduct and a policy, and we've enforced it many times previously. We will continue to enforce our code of conduct. We're in contact with him (Chesson), and we'll discuss it with him personally."

The code states that Mariners employees "will proactively intervene to support an environment where guests can enjoy the baseball experience free from the following behaviors," which includes "obscene or indecent clothing."

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They were violating his rights??? What rights?? What right does one have to wear a shirt with an offensive slogan on it??

The Seattle Mariners are a private, for-profit organization. In an attempt to create a family-friendly atmosphere, they asked these guys to turn their shirts inside-out.

The US Constitution protects your free speech from GOVERNMENT CENSORSHIP....the Bill of Rights outlines what the GOVERNEMENT can't do. The Seattle Mariners are NOT the government.

Free speech is not absolute. Courts have routinely held that people wearing offensive shirts in shopping malls, movie theaters or various other private facilities have no right to wear that shirt that supersedes the right of the owners of that business to kick them out.

People are way too quick to invent rights. How about the Seattle Mariners right to create and protect a family atmosphere at their events?

You have no right to disrupt class by wearing them to public school...and you have no right to wear them to a private setting where the owner deems them to be inappropriate.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

What is the difference between wearing a t-shirt that says Yankees Suck, and fans yelling Yankees Suck? (which they did throughout the game). Why did the Mariners allow these t-shirts to be sold at Safeco?

I was at Yankee Stadium a few years ago when they played the Redsox. While walking down the street, which is full of bars, towards Yankee Stadium, there was a "Redsox Suck" chant going at every single bar that we passed. Once inside the Stadium the chant was heard throughout the game.

You have never really been to a baseball game unless you have been to a Yankee-Redsox game. Maybe the best rivalry in all of sports.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The shirts weren't sold at Safeco. The guy changed into it after entering the stadium. I'm pretty sure he would have been stopped at the gate with that shirt.

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The article stated the shirts were sold outside of Safeco. Why did the Mariners allow this vendor to sell them outside of Safeco?

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If the vendor was approved by the Mariners then the guy has a point, but I bet the "vendor" was some dude with a box of shirts. I don't know how far the Stadium Exhibition Center is from Safeco or if regulations apply there, but that's how it sounds. I don't know if any baseball team would approve of an "opponents suck" shirt.

7. MadMax

yeah...somehow I doubt these were officially licensed products!! :) I bought a Mad Max shirt outside of the Summit back in the day once...it was cheap and crappy and clearly not something the Rockets were selling or encouraging. Stuff happens.

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The question is : What is deemed "offensive"?

Frankly, as far as offensiveness goes, "Yankees Suck" is pretty damn tame, and its assinine to make people take off those shirts.

Those guys who sit behind the plate talking on their cell phone and waving wildly at the camera are more offensive to me than someone wearing a "Random Team Sucks" - the shirt just looks stupid.

9. MadMax

I guess that is the question...but it's not anyone other than the Seattle Mariners' decision to make.