1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you change about Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by plcmts17, Apr 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

If you could change one thing and only one thing about Houston, what would it be? This would probably be a more constructive way for those with a problem with Houston to hear how they would go about fixing something instead of, for lack of a better word, whining about it.

The one thing I would definitely change or upgrade to be more specific is the public transportation system. Some of you might remember Kathy Whitmire, our former mayor from many, many moons ago. I know many had problems with her, like myself, but I have to give her credit for trying to do something about public transportation. In the end it was one of the things that lead to her losing to Lanier.
    I think it should still be a priority if the city continues to grow the way it has. More rail and better bus routes would help ease traffic and pollution to an extent.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Get rid of billboards.
    Plant more trees and green spaces.

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Put smoking back in bars.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vn66vrgJl2I&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vn66vrgJl2I&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

****load more trees. Especially along the freeway. Put trees along the entire freeway.

Less sprawl. Seriously - it's become really stupid.

Public transportation. I cannot stress this enough. Get rid of the HOV, put in a rail system. Make it FAST and efficient. It's not that hard.

#4 rhadamanthus, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  5. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I love Houston but the billboards are an eyesore. Traffic sucks, but we'll never be able to change that.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would take the average summer temperature down 10 degrees.

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

The humidity.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

the HOV lane here is stupid. You can onyl et off at certain points cause it is enclosed from the rest of the freeway. I spend a lot of time in California and they just have a diamond lane that you can o in and out of whenever you want, its much easier.

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I wouldn't change the weather. It's part of the city's personality, love it or hate it.

Like stated previously, I would get rid of the billboards, plant more trees, get rid of that HORRIBLE HOV lane and turn the space into a proper HOV lane (like I-10 west or Dallas) or an elevated rail system.

I would also bring in an NHL team. As much as I don't care about hockey, it's a shame that the #4 city in terms of population doesn't have every major sport. I would move ahead on the 'grand parkway' loop as well.

I would also bring back Astroworld/Waterworld. It's so sad that my kids won't be able to experience it.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Couple of things...

Trees - Seriously, we have a LOT of trees. Just because they're not on the freeways doesn't mean we don't have any. Pull up the satellite view of Houston on Google Maps. What do you see? All I see is TREES. We have trees EVERYWHERE - that's one of the reasons I like it here so much.

HOV Lane - I don't get this one. I used to think having rail instead of the HOV lane would be good, but what's the difference between riding a bus and a rail? There are Park and Ride's ALL OVER Houston. If you're not using them, you probably won't use rail either. And turning them into "diamond lanes" would defeat the whole purpose of having them separate from the regular traffic.

Agree with the billboards though. WAY too many billboards along our freeways. They are a complete eyesoar. Just lose them all. There are very few billboards along the Hardy Tollroad and it DOES make a difference.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's how the Katy Freeway's HOV will be with the new construction.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'll second this. I'm looking south from my office on the west side. I see nothing but trees. There are buildings scattered among trees...not trees scattered among buildings. The area I'm looking out on now is about 50 years old, in terms of its development. Before it was developed, it didn't have nearly the canopy of trees it has now. The mature oak trees planted 50 years ago completely cover this side of town. You see it dramatically in a tall building. It is literally impossible for me to see the houses in the neighborhood which is right behind my building....because they're so covered with trees.

13. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I would change nothing, if we changed something it would not be Houston.

embrace it, I have to move to NYC in a few days and trust me I will miss it here.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

One word: ZONING

The lack of zoning is one of the main reasons that Houston is one of the uglier large cities in America

15. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I would say humidity, but I'll say weather. Then I could bring down the temp and the humidity in the summer at the same time.

16. no_answer

no_answer Member

Are you going to cry? Sounds like it. :)

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fast passenger train from Downtown Houston (or light rail station) to Downtown Austin (or future light rail station).

18. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Public transportation for sure. It'll cost billions, but getting rid of the HOV lane in the middle of 59 and replacing it with an elevated rail system would be perfect. It works for Chicago, why can't it work for Houston?

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

it's also the reason why we have the cheapest home costs of any major city in America

20. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

To a newcomer, it looks like we have 3 downtown areas (downtown, galleria & med center)

Although this would be impossible... I would move all the medical center buildings to the Greenway Plaza area to link Downtown to the Galleria to make it similar to Chicago's downtown.