1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would it take to bring DeMarcus Cousins to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2015.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm not a big Cousins guy but if you think he doesn't fit with harden your kidding yourself.

did you see what Nene sis in game 4?

Cousins would do that every game and then some.

I think it's very intriguing and could potentially be the antidote to take down the Warriors.

I'm with Morey I do think the way to beat GSW is to out shoot them. You can have the best defensive in the game with a Leonard like the Spurs do and it's still not enough.

Warriors just have to many elite weapons in that staring lineup.

Houston has already shown that they can atleast make the game a single digit deficit late in games against that team. I would like to see what harden and these guys could do with another star like Cousins in the fold.

The thing about this rockets team
    Imo is that you really only take the next step to truely unseating the Warriors is by keeping this talent and adding another allstar.

You can tolerate losing Ariza do Capela to an extent but imo as much flack as Anderson gets his best important when you think about adding another star next to harden.

Imagine the space Cousins or a Paul George would have operating opposite side of harden with Anderson waiting in the slot or top of the key.

At 20m he's overpaid but he is ideal for any star that isn't playing his position imo especially one that already has harden.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets have to take a chance on someone to get over the hump. The perfect player isn't walking through that door.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't think im kidding myself at all. Nene and Cousin's games are completely different. Cousins is a player that would demand the ball to be effective. Basically a ball stopper and likely a pouter if otherwise. Hmmm sounds familiar. Nene is perfectly fine playing his role, getting touches based what the game entails. On top of that Nene doesn't have a crybaby emotional baggage that Cousins has had his entire career.

saleem, Richie_Rich and malakas like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe this is his way of saying I wanna go to the Rockets. I dont recall him wearing other team shorts in Sacramento.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nene is also old and making the vet min. U think he'll continue to take that salary or play at this level for the next couple of years?
    If Nene was 28 yrs old and playing like thus I wouldnt have an issue. But with Nene's age he can break down anytime and i dont know if he will still resign for vet min next year.

Its not Nene vs Cousins, its Capela vs Cousins.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh i get that part. My response was bc Nene was the name being brought up.

Either way though, I'm not a fan of cousins and do not think he's worth everything he comes with. He's not a guy that makes a team better all around imo

malakas likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

Do you know how much is Cousin's USG%? Don't compare him with Nene. Their roles and gamestyles are totally different.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Yeah, centers are extremely expensive. We're paying, what, a combined $4.5M for our current center rotation? We won't be able to do that for long, we'll eventually need to dish out a big contract to someone. Unless Capela makes a quantum leap in ability, I'd rather it be someone like Cousins getting that contract. Of course, that's assuming Cousins is the best player out there and wants to sign with us.

Hakeemtheking and roslolian like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

He wore some Toronto Raptors gear back when he was in Sacramento.

[​IMG]

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Cousins is talent wise the best center in the league.

I'd still take him here if there's a chance cause we need more talent to compete for the championship, but i know it would be somehow a risky move so, i understand who's against him in Houston.

Would still like to see him in a winning/serious enviroment though, cause you never know...also, in a couple of years he will be close to 30, maybe he'll grow up a bit, Z.Bo was always a hot head but in Memphis he finally grow up and turned out as a solid pro on and off the court.

#110 Vivi, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    roslolian likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nene reworked his game for Houston, and like I said you can't count him as a center alternative because he is taking a deep discount this year. Nene is fine with not having any plays made for him because he is a vet on the tail end of his career. No star will be fine with that I mean didn't Kevin Durant just leave OKC in part because he was fed up with WB taking all the shots for himself? Also there's no rule saying you have to get rid of Nene, you can keep him with Cousins as he is just making the vet min.

Cousins will allow us to have 5 people who can hit the 3 shot for a true "stretch" system. Cousins also has good passing and of course post up scoring abilities and he is shooting 33% from 3 which is actually higher than Sam Dekker.

Sure Cousins is immature but then again how mature is Capela? We don't need leadership from Cousins because we have a veteran team already. I honestly don't think wearing different jersey shorts is a big deal, this is the type of stuff Cousins is in trouble for but none of that affects team play on the court. Rockets right now are really streaky, all they know to do is shoot 3s when it isn't falling they just rely on Harden to carry the team. Cousins can play on this team as a 3 pt spacer but also revert to his traditional post up scoring if the Rox's shots aren't falling. I think he will provide another dimension to the Rox's deadly but predictable offense.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I stand corrected. So maybe it's not a big deal to him then why is everyone making a fuss about it. Look at the other guys on that pick they clearly don't give AF

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

It's not a big deal tbh, it's just a little odd. I mean, I'd have some questions if a picture of Harden wearing Laker shorts surfaced when he's about to be a FA in a year.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

He is a highly skilled player, one of the best in the league, but he is not the best teammate, could poison the good chemistry that the Rockets have now.

Gorki and saleem like this.
  15. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

MoreE, send Cousins a Samsung Galaxy ++ NAO

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This man gets it.

To beat a historic team like GS, you will need a full arsenal plus more. You are not going to out shoot them. Their weakness, if they have one, is inside the paint area. Cousins, properly focused, is one of the best big man operating in that small space.

No Chill Rocket likes this.
  18. threepointshot3

Team chemistry killer

saleem likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's a good thing that cousins spends much of his time shooting jumpers these days to defeat that paint area

Richie_Rich likes this.
  20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

That's a misuse of his talents and if this is his choice, then it is on him. He needs to play the traditional role of a center, occasionally vacating that area to draw the opposing center out.