1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be the 1990s version of the Warriors super team?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Mr. Space City

this thread is about making a 90's version of the warriors (without using bulls players).

let's analyze what the warriors actually are.

they're a team with 4 all stars / all nba players.

2 of those all-stars / all nba players that were MVP winners AND scoring champions (30 ppg scorers) perimeter players.

1 of those all-stars / all nba players that is not only a 20 ppg scorer (and one of the best shooters ever) but an all-defensive caliber defender as well.

and the other all-star a swiss army knife undersized stretch PF / C triple double threat that is also a DPOY of the year candidate.

when trying to replicate that using 90's players it becomes difficult because there simply wasn't perimeter players like steph and durant in the 90's.

point guards that era did not scored at the volume steph does while shooting 3's at the volume and percentage he does.

there wasn't small forwards that scored at the volume durant did while shooting 3's at the volume and percentage he does. nique scored at a similar pace but he was trash behind the arc.

there wasn't as much MVP caliber perimeter talent at that level in the 90's if you exclude jordan and pippen.

and players that can't even average 20 ppg are not even in the discussion.

#41 Mr. Space City, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    JumpMan likes this.
  2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Out of those point guards, I think only Kidd was an MVP caliber player, but i consider him a 2000s point guard. He got very popular in late 90s, and he was my favorite player, but he didn't hit his prime until after Jordan. His first year in all-nba and all-defense teams was 1999, that's after Jordan. And i wouldn't even count the 1999 TBH, because 1999 had the worst level of NBA basketball i have ever seen due to lockout, I can't take 1999 seriously.

I think Durant is much better than any 90s SF. Better than Pistons' Grant Hill or Nique both offensively and defensively. Pippen was overall also on the level of these players, just different. Also, he was on Jordan's team so i don't think you can put him on your team. :p The task was to build an anti-Bulls team.

#42 DonatasFanboy, Jun 4, 2017
    plutoblue11 likes this.
  3. VBG

VBG Member

I think the easiest person to put is Rodman on the team in the Draymond role.
    Then put in Reggie Miller in the Klay role.

After that you probably want two top 5 game. One of them being a historically great offensive player (maybe Stockton) and a 2 way great that is probably the second best player in the era (Hakeem). And then the SF would be someone like Detlef Shrempf for the Iggy role.

So in terms of the GSW top lineup

Curry - Stockton
    Durant - Hakeem
    Draymond - Rodman
    Klay - Reggie
    Iggy - Shrempf

Stockton, Reggie, Shrempf, Rodman, Hakeem also would compliment each other pretty well. And yeah, I think that team is better than the 1996 Bulls. Would be fun though. Rodman on Hakeem would be damn interesting in a playoff series.

4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If Hakeem joined the sonics in 95, how could would they have been?

5. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Alternate reality p***y ass Hakeem joining the Sonics in 97 would basically fit the parallel to a T.

AntiSonic likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

Why? He would have already been a back to back champion. Losing to the Sonics in game 7 of the 92-93 semifinals and then teaming up with them makes more sense.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

That's totally fine, but i don't believe for one second that today's perimeter players are just automatically better when they have a green light in a league with rules to help perimeter players and no great defensive bigs in the post. They had different roles for the perimeter players but it's not like they couldn't have been MVP candidates today with a green light. Are they better 3 point shooters today? Sure. They grew up practicing 3 pointers. Most of the people in the 90s didn't even have a 3 point line to practice with when they were children growing up. For as much better of 3 point shooters today's players are, the past players were equally that much better at the mid range and post up game and finishing around legit trees. In fact, tons of 90s players actually started to increase their scoring immediately post Jordan era when the rules started changing to help perimeter players:

Read this section right here:
    http://nobodytouchesjordan.blogspot.com/2014/09/section-1-players-from-jordans-day.html

8. Mr. Space City

that's all fine and dandy but the point still remains.

some players now are better shooters and better scorers. techniques for developing scorers is more advanced than in the past.

you put some 90s players in a time machine and drop them in this era and i don't think they're going from averaging 16 ppg to averaging 30 ppg.

you put curry and durant in a time machine and drop them in the 90's they're still getting 25 ppg at least.

jason kidd is not going to up and turn into a 30ppg scoring champion. some guys now are simply just as good or even better than some 90's players.

it's nothing wrong with admitting that.

#48 Mr. Space City, Jun 4, 2017
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

I kindly disagree...Kidd is a bad example though but even with a broke jumper could still routinely put up over 20 a game today with enough shots. He was averaging 18.7 and 9 on 15.5 attempts in 03 and MVP candidate. Not the most efficient but not like a lot of these guys today aren't shooting low 40% FG either.

10. Mr. Space City

and it's not just as easy as saying someone needs more shots.

some guys simply don't have the moves or skill to get quality shots off at anytime.

eric gordon COULD be a 25 ppg scorer with more shots but he's not a dominate 1 on 1 player nor is he someone who can consistently create space and get sa quality shot off at any time like true superstar scorers.

that's what separates the steph curry's from the steve nash's. nash was extremely efficient when scoring within the flow of the offense but he couldn't force the issue like curry.

nash couldn't take over a game offensively and carry the scoring load like that which is what ultimately hurt those suns teams (amongst other things)

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Small guards always gave Bulls trouble along with good bigs. Defensive guys mixed with dead eye shooters. Rasheed as the stretch four. Oakley with the muscle.

Steve Nash
    Gary Payton
    Reggie Miller
    Rasheed Wallace
    Dream

Off the bench
    Clyde Drexler
    Glen Rice
    Charles Oakley

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can't look for comparable 3pt shooters in the 90s because that's just not how the game was played.

As someone has pointed out, many of the elite players in the 90s were bigs. You can't put more than two bigs in the same lineup. This is why the 90 could not have assembled a comparable superteam.

Today, the game goes small and 3pt shooting is king. It's much easier to find 4 elite guys playing in the same lineup now than back then.

13. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Makes more sense than this:

Sticking a bunch of empty stats losers (other than maybe Miller) on a team does not make it "super".

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

Did you not read my post after? I first thought the point was to create a team with similar type of player to each Warrior

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I realize that the 1990s is a long era, so let's narrow it down: Let's focus on a super team for the 1995-96 season, the first year of Jordan/Bulls' second three-peat.

Here are the All NBA players of that year:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1996.html#all_all-nba

Rockets legends Charles Barkley and Juwan Howard were both 3rd team ALL NBA.

16. Asian Sensation

It would be the 95 Championship Rockets except Olajuwon and Drexler would be younger. Then add a prime Barkley without giving up Horry and Cassell.

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

C- Hakeem Olajuwon
    PF- Otis Thorpe
    SF- Robert Horry
    SG- Vernon Maxwell
    PG- Kenny Smith

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually, I think Thorpe fits better than Barkley with Dream. If we could exchange Horry for a top wing guy, Mitch Richmond?, and put more super role players on the bench, comparable to Iggy, then we'd be unbeatable.

19. conquistador#11

I'd take the showtime lakers averaging 117 ppg over the warriors (115ppg)squad that people want to rate it as the best of all time. More rebounds for fast breaks. I don't agree with Magic on many things with the exception of them sweeping this warriors team.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That team had 3 hall of farmers. Byron Scott was a 20 pt a game scorer and AC green was pretty good. Those Lakers teams were stacked with talent.