1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will Shandon do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Francis, Aug 17, 2000.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I would sign Anderson but I wouldn't put a starting clause in his contract. He can be a great 6th man for us next year if we can get a 3 in the draft or via free agent.

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Good point... but this is a rocketsphere, and everything is interconnected. [​IMG]

Freeing up cap space to solidify the base (your current players) isn't progress unless you're already a contender.

This very concern may be reason enough for the Rockets to heavily push for a multi-year big dollar contract w/ Taylor this year. Shandon Anderson will be the Tim Thomas next year (though much more proven). There is no reason to think that he will not be offered a high-to-top dollar contract. It'd seemingly be easier to solidify the pf position this year than to appease Shandon's ego next year and acquire a stud PF.

How much potential time was lost through the draft and FA courting by merely trying to appease Cuttino?

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

If we do sign Mo to the $2.5 mil, and he plays very well (as does Shandon) this coming season. Who do we sign next season and who do we let go? Will we have enough money to keep both?

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

4. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I thought that the option was a team option and not a player option. If he was here for 3 years then he would have his full bird rights and the Rockets could sign him to whatever they wanted. I could be wrong. [​IMG]

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

Dennis2112,

"I thought that the option was a team option and not a player option."

No, its a player option.

"If he was here for 3 years then he would have his full bird rights and the Rockets could sign him to whatever they wanted. I could be wrong. [​IMG]"

No, you are not wrong. Have a closer look at my post - I make two separate references to Shandon getting full bird rights after 3 years.

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

[This message has been edited by davo (edited August 17, 2000).]

6. Dennis2112

Davo~
    Thanks for the clarification.I was not sure about the option.

I think it would be smart for him to take the option so he could be rewarded better in the long run. I really thought that was the reason for the three year deal in the first place. Of course he has an out next year if he wants it but if he waited one more year he will make more $$$ staying here.

I hope he stays.. [​IMG]

------------------
    In Rudy We Trust

7. haven

haven Member

Lil Francis: Great 6th man? Fine, who's our starting SG? I don't know of another player that Houston has who can play both offense and defense.

Mobley is 6'4. Shandon is 6'6... a respectable SG heighth. Mobley, unlike Allen Iverson, cannot score 30 pts a game. Anderson was scoring quite a bit the last couple of months last year. Shandon does not force bad shots. Shandon plays team ball. Shandon plays great defense.

Shandon is the better player, overall.... and he is a MUCH better starter. Mobley is better off the bench as instant offense.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

8. davo

davo Contributing Member

Dennis2112,

True, but the issue at hand is whether or not he can increase earnings a year early. By choosing to opt out of his final year does not automatically mean he will leave, and does not preclude him from obtaining full bird rights the following year. A player only loses bird rights if he signs with another team as a free agent.

If Anderson opts to become a free agent after this year, he can still sign a 1 year deal with the Rockets using a) or b) in my first post, and still be eligible for a bird contract the following year.

In my mind, it would be remiss of Anderson's agent to NOT pursue increasing his salary next year, by whatever means necessary

------------------

9. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Astute. Thanks Dave.

10. Dennis2112

I guess you are right. The Rockets would have to convince him to take the option so they can use the money to sign another free agent or already have one taking up the salary space(IE Mo Taylor with a multi-year deal).

Either way, I think Shandon will stay...I hope [​IMG]

------------------
    In Rudy We Trust

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

haven: Mobley didn't sign a 6yr 30mil dollar contract to come off the bench. If Mobley comes off the bench this year it will be his last. Mobley will start either this year or next leaving Anderson to either take the 3spot on the team or taking a hike. Shandon
    is good but nothing special. I say if we have a shot at good 3 take him and let Shanndon either be the 6th man or leave.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Unless I'm mistaken Shan will be in his
    4th or 5th year after this one. Shouldn't he be like Hill able to get the Make for his
    Veteranship?

Rocket River

------------------

13. haven

haven Member

Lil Francis: How much money Mobley is getting paid has *nothing* to do with whether he starts or not. If he comes of the bench, that certainly doesn't mean he's not a valuable player, merely that such a role is what he's best suited for.

You absolutely failed to address any qualifications for Mobley to start over Anderson.

Mobley is too small. Mobley's defense is horrible. Mobley shoots too much and is a blackhole on offense. Mobley doesn't rebound well. Mobley is one-dimensional.

Listen, I *like* Mobley, but right now, Anderson is the better player, and should start *especially* on the Rockets, as they're already weak defensively. Mobley will get his minutes, but Anderson is the better starter.

I think the choice for next year is: would you rather start 14 (estimated) pts with great defense, decent rebounding, and good size, or an undersized 2 who scores perhaps 17 per game, who can't guard, and shoots far too much.

Not much of a choice.

------------------
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

14. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

plus lil' guy, Rudy T has made it abundantly clear that he likes Cuttino's fresh legs/offense against a tired starter or a lesser bench player... there's nothing to be gained by two iso players setting the tone at the beginning of the game. you just disinterest people like what happened with SirCharles and Dream a couple of years ago.

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

15. MManal

MManal Member

I have been against giving Mo Taylor anything but a 1 yr deal, but a 3 yr deal for 115% of the 4.5 mil trade exception could help on the Shandon front. If Rudy is really sold on Mo as appears to be the case, and really feels he can develop, it may not be that bad of an idea. According to my calculations, a deal starting at 115% of 4.5 mil which is 5.175 mil for three yrs with 12.5% increases off the base amount comes out to about 3 yrs 17.5 mil. My opinion is that is very fair for Mo Taylor. Its about what Toronto offered maybe a little more, but Taylor will get more PT and a better chance to succeed in Houston. Also, on the Clippers side, the Rockets could just give them future draft pick(s) and such so they would not pick up any salary.

Based on the salaries on Davo's page, and a 42.7 mil cap in 2001 which I have read about in a couple of places, the Rockets could give Shandon a substantial raise. If Mo does sign a 3 yr deal similar to what I suggested, then the Rockets could give Shandon a 1 yr extension starting in the 2001 summer for around 8 mil. Then, the yr after that, they could max him out. They would still be able to keep Williams, Rogers, KT etc but would just need to not pick up Drew's option next yr and let him become a free agent. A frontcourt of Cato/Taylor/Collier/Rogers/KT/Washington would be good enough for long term success assuming Rudy's assessment on Taylor is accurate. Then they could find themselves a true SF down the line and still keep the rest in tact.

A 1 yr extension in the 8 mil range would be enough to keep Shandon in town imho.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

16. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

8 Mill may be a little steep for Shandon -- 5 - 6.5 per year is probably more in line -- I say this thinking he is the second most valuable player on our team at this point.

Before we offer the max to Shandon, we must remember to set aside some big bucks for Francis the following year -- obviously a maximum type player.

Nice post -- a great alternative to the 20 plus Mo threads. Shandon is an important piece to our future -- I think it worth mentioning again that signing Mo THIS year instead of PF shopping NEXT year may benefit Shandon and the Rockets in the long run.

------------------

17. MManal

MManal Member

we must remember to set aside some big bucks for Francis the following year

Steve Francis will still be able to get the max when his contract runs out b/c the Rockets will have his Bird Rights. Giving Shandon 8 mil and then the max will not prevent Francis from getting his payday. The reason the Rockets have to use the cap on Shandon to give him a deal like this is b/c they wont have his Bird Rights until he has been with the team for 3 yrs. By the time Steve Francis is ready for a long term extension, he will have been with the team 4 yrs. The Rockets can then give him a 7 yr 93 mil extension even though they will be capped out at that time.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

18. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

MManal, I think Les just read your numbers for Francis and fainted [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

19. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I like shandon starting and mobley off the bench, but from what ive seen cuttinos got a good sized ego. Charles' first comment about cuttino was about his confidence. and by the way in the steve trade, who would u have wanted 2 give up- cuttino or michael, im not saying grizz would have accepteed cuttion but j/w, rudy said that he didnt want to include cuttino in the deal and kept shying away when grizz tried 2 get him into the deal. personally i love cuttino AND michael michael showed so much potential that year, and he averaged 18 ppg last year, and when will i become a member? [​IMG]

20. davo

davo Contributing Member

As most of you know, this is the second year of Shandon Anderson's mid level exception contract. He has an option to take up a third year at $2.25 Million, after which he will be a free agent.

Another thing we all "assume" is that there was some kind of "under the table" deal that the Rockets would reward Shandon with a big contract after he completes the current one.

If the true intention was sign Anderson to the maximum available($2mil) at the time, followed by a "reward" contract, then I see some interesting decisions coming up after this season.

a) If the Rockets are under the salary cap, then Shandon could "opt-out" of the final year of his current contract, and he and his agent could quite rightly expect them to give him a larger contract using cap space. If you are the Rockets, then you probably don't want this, becase it will limit your ability to chase another free agent, and you have to pony up the cash to Shandon a little earlier.
    b) If the Rockets are over the cap, then once again, Shandon could opt out of the final year, and have the rockets sign him to a new one year Mid level exception contract (which will increase to the league average of approximately $4.1 mil next year). This would give him about $1.6 mil above what he would have earned under the existing contract. Also, Signing the 1 year deal means he is eligible for full bird rights the following year, and he can get his fat contract no matter what the Rockets payroll looks like.

I will be quite surprised if one of the above doesn't happen. Of course, the Rockets may convince Anderson to wait one more year if they have a legitimate shot at someone like Webber, but that still leaves the door open for option b) above.

I personally think that the third "option" year on Shandon's Contract was either:-
    1. A hedge against the NBA average salary being less than $2.4 mil (in which case signing a new contract for the league average would not be worth it) or,
    2. Just in case the rockets were under the cap and could afford a new, bigger contract before Shandon was eligible for full bird rights the following year.

Of course, there is also the possibility that there never was an "under the table" deal in the first place, and Shandon may wish to just leave and play elsewhere, but that is unlikley considering the lack of salary cap space around the league.

Its probably a little early to be talking about this, but I thought it would be a change from reading Mo Taylor threads.

------------------