1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will our rotation be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Oct 9, 2018.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Clark?

saleem likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

and mcw won't be playing over the likes of gordon and gg. Knight's obviously hurt so he has the edge there. if you can't shoot in this system as a perimeter player you're not going to get consistent time on a nightly basis.

he's very much game based. the rockets are good enough to get away with it since they're much better than most teams so he has that going for him as far as blowouts

#22 YOLO, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

MCW is 100% part of the rotation and will be a big contributor, because he is the best perimeter defender on the team. Some of you guys are way too stuck on pigeonholing everyone in some "system". You forget that Daryl Morey is the architect of your little system and he is the same guy bringing in guys like MCW and Melo who on the surface goes against this system. The reason why is because Morey believes talent is more important than anything else. Only then do you construct a scheme and way you want to play to maximize your talent. MCW and Melo have flaws in their game but they are both talented, we can change the way they are used and maximize them.

Gerald Green, bless his soul, was sitting home shooting with his dog or whatever when the Rockets called him up, for a reason. His skill set fits what the Rockets need, but the talent just isn't there. He has never been a positive contributor on a team, and even on the Rockets last year after maximizing his efficiency he was still a below average player. He might get some run in the beginning of the season just because he is familiar with the system and the incumbent, but MCW will definitely be ahead of him in the rotation eventually, if not immediately. Yes he can't shoot, but he contributes to winning, and that's the point of the game.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not saying I don't agree with a lot of what you said, but... wasn't MCW also sitting at home?

MCW plays D. Green tries but cant.
    MCW is dynamic, GG is a 1 trick pony.

No clue if they'll play him, but I'm glad he's here to put on the floor when GSW plays Livingston, because Livingston always kills us, and for no reason. That alone is enough reason to keep MCW around.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

MCW was a free agent in the offseason, the first one Morey met with. Green was a free agent during the season because he wasn't on an NBA roster. But that's not the point because you're right, MCW had been maligned and his value is super low right now. Difference is even though he has been injured and one of the worst offensive players in the league, overall he was still average to slightly net negative contributor. With the Rockets using him differently and hiding his weakness he can become a net positive contributor to winning. Green, even in the Rockets system, has only gone from hugely net negative to decently net negative.

MCW will guard Curry and Durant and Klay and whoever he is switched on to because we switch everything. If Livingston and his 2 point jumpers is what's killing us, and not those other guys, then we've already won.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not sure yet what it will be. The the post below is about where I am at.

-Will Ennis or Gordon start at SF? Not sure
    -Will MCW get minutes over Green because of defense? Perhaps
    -Back up C committee. I agree. I am intrigued by Hartenstein though...want to see more.

Matt78777 likes this.
  7. icewill36

icewill36 Member

ill take hartenstein over nene tbh.....

hopefully the rotation opens up enough to play cp3 less minutes. anything to help him stay healthy.

8. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

-I personally would love to see Rockets try Gordon starting, but they haven't started that lineup once all preseason so I wonder if they have shelved that idea for now. I know people don't like the idea of Ennis coming off the bench, but it would be cool to see his energy with MCW together.

-I tend to agree that MCW will get minutes over Green. MCW seems to get hurt though, which could change this equation.

-Also intrigued by Hartenstein, I really hope he becomes reliable enough to soak up backup center minutes on the regular. I think ultimately lineups with Tucker and Melo as center will prove to be Houston's best Non-Capela lineups, but I hope Hartenstein pans out and Rockets get the luxury of using these lineups only in emergencies during regular season so they can save them for playoffs. Chriss has potential to be better than Hartenstein and thus raise rockets ceiling, but I think he's shown enough in preseason that I'd be shocked if he ever reached that potential. Other dark horse possibilities: Rockets acquire buyout guy, another "Capela-lite" type back up C like Chriss or what Brandan Wright was supposed to be, or Gary Clark pushes his way into rotation as undersized defensive C like a new wave Chuck Hayes who can hit 3s.

Deckard, CXbby and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's absolutely on the table in my mind.

Matt78777 likes this.
  10. bmd

bmd Member

Disagree. Thought the team looked much better when Ennis started with Tucker and Gordon and Carmelo came off the bench. I pretty much agree with the OP.

CP3
    Harden
    Ennis
    Tucker
    Capela

Gordon
    Carmelo
    Green / MCW
    Nene / Hartenstein

I'm thinking those 11 players will play regularly, but not all on the same night. Green and MCW will get minutes some nights and some nights not play. Nene will be the backup, and Hartenstein will be the 3rd center and play when Nene takes games off like Tarik Black did last season.

The only wild card here is Brandon Knight. When he comes back, how will he look? Will he earn a rotation spot? How well will his knee be recovered? Will he just be a bench-warmer kept around for depth like Joe Johnson was? I have no clue what his role will be. Just a lot of questions with him. And if he comes back and looks great, how does he fit in and who takes a back seat? I guess these questions will be answered in time.

Gary Clark also looks good. He's a rookie, so he may not get much time... but he could earn some minutes.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ennis has still yet to prove he's a starting caliber wing. Looks more like a good energy piece. he picks up a bit too many fouls too quickly from what hes shown thus far, which will be an issue. Regardless if its Gordon/Ennis, as long as theres a defensive guy in that spot would be preferable. Adjustments will likely be made if ennis starts off the season and he continues to be forced from the game early. Hou has yet to see Gordon/PJ in the starting lineup together so we don't know how it looks this year.

12. bmd

bmd Member

MCW has done a good job of slashing to the rim on Harden's drives so that he doesn't have to shoot a 3 on the kickout. He's running to the rim to get lay-ups.

JW86 likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

14. bmd

bmd Member

The coaches have seen Ennis a lot more than we have. We only see the preseason games. I get the feeling the rotation we saw against the Spurs is the rotation D'Antoni is leaning towards right now. It was:

CP3
    Harden
    Ennis
    Tucker
    Capela

Carmelo then entered the game for Tucker. CP3 / Harden / Ennis / Carmelo / Capela

Then later in the 1st quarter, Eric Gordon came in the game for CP3. Then it was: Harden / Gordon / Ennis / Carmelo / Capela

Gerald Green then came into the game for Ennis a little later. Harden / Gordon / Green / Carmelo / Capela

A bit later, PJ Tucker then came back in the game for Capela. Harden / Gordon / Green / Carmelo / Tucker

A little later, CP3 came back in for Harden. CP3 / Gordon / Green / Carmelo / Tucker

End of 1Q.

That's your 8 man rotation. Possibly interchange Green with MCW. And also add in Nene somewhere in there if he wasn't injured. It's very similar to the rotation D'Antoni used last season. Just replace Ariza with Ennis and Anderson with Carmelo.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for pointing out the substitution patterns. Makes sense. Even more so if you put MCW (defense) into the Gerald Green spot as you then have a wing paired with Melo for defensive purposes.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I like setting the defensive tone early . I think ennis and tucker should start .

Melo comes in to open things up along without Gordon .

You can't ever relax vs us ; we're gonna get you one way or the other .

kevtse, hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Good question. I would say garbage time/injury depth only, although I would love to see Chriss, Clark, Edwards and any other young guys beat expectations.

Of course, my opinion means squat.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. da_juice

da_juice Member

I agree; we probably see something similar to this with maybe Green coming in occasionally. I'd love to pick up a proven backup Center just to give us 5-10 min a night.

19. BigBum

BigBum Member

8-man rotation against GS and Celtics

CP3 (rest first 2 rounds of playoffs)
    Harden
    Melo
    Tucker
    Capela

Benches:
    Gordon
    MCW
    Defensive player (Knight and Chriss traded for)

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

really need to pick up 7th Center?