1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will happen to the now $15-25 jobs if the min wage becomes $15?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

Raising cost of minimum wage does cause the cost of things to go up - but not nearly as much as the wages went up. If someone makes $10/hr now and would make $15/hr with an increase, their income goes up 50%. But a business's costs only go up a fraction of that since their costs aren't 100% labor. So it can cause inflation, but it also essentially makes the poor relatively wealthier vs everyone else. It's been seen time and again everytime we raise minimum wages.

The OP's point is valid about the next tier of employees. I have employees making about $12-$20/hr, and it varies partly by responsibilities and partly be quality of the work done. We can handle raising wages to $15 over a several year period by raising prices some - since our customers will have more money, it's not a huge deal. But it compresses our wage scale and makes it harder to reward our best employees or those that do more. And it's harder for us to compete with jobs that used to pay $8/hr also going up to $15/hr.

Generally speaking, a min wage increase is necessary - it should just be tied to inflation annually and then it wouldn't be. But its a lot lower today than it was in the past after accounting for inflation. $15 is probably an overshoot, but I think a national hike to $10 or $12 over a 3-4 year period would be a good starting point, and then tie to inflation after that.

2. Major

Major Member

Marginal increases - that's true. But going from $7.25 to $15 over a few years is not really marginal - that's a more than doubling of wage costs in heavily low-wage industries and can't just be accounted for through profit margins.

ElPigto, Corrosion and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont disagree with anything you have stated. Its spot on.

What I have an issue with is the idea that $15.00 is the stop gap to the long term solution. Doubling minimum wage in Seattle is not the same as doubling minimum wage in rural Idaho. Its the blanket statement that bothers me. What do we do in 10 years when 15.00 is no longer enough?

Now as you stated, minimum wage should be loosely tied to inflation and for the most part, the workforce is. In my area, I dont think I could pay someone minimum wage to just sit on a bench and keep it warm for 40 hours a week. Now if I should go 10 miles over to true 'rural' area, people would be happy to make $15.00 an hour in their town. True minimum wage jobs do exist in these towns, however its frequently the mom and pop shops that everyone is so eager to protect from big business like Walmart and Lowes.

There is much more that NEEDS to be done than simply raising wages. Over the years, I have come to understand the greed of corporate america. It comes down to the philosophy of 'A fool and his money shall soon depart'.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

$7.50 is just a ridiculously little amount of money to pay anyone. That hasn't changed in 20 years - it should be double by now.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It put pressure on those wages to go up. Employee have more choices - they can take less skilled works for the same pay. They can become dissatisfied and move to a higher paying job. Won’t happen over night but there will be additional pressure for wages to go up.

A reduction on gov assistance and higher tax revenue help all tax payers.

6. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Less than 2% of Americans make the minimum wage. This is a silly argument.
    By raising the minimum wage all you are doing is letting a business know instead of
    hiring a high school kid you should put in a digital order kiosk.

I don't know why we're even talking about this. 2019 was one of the greatest years for
    low income earners in terms of wage inflation, benefits offered and job offers.

It wasn't the government that made those jobs, it was government getting out of businesses
    way that made those jobs.

B@ffled, Corrosion and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could you point to the examples of when raising the minimum wage resulted in an increase in the unemployment rate?

8. TheresTheDagger

LOL :rolleyes:

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's called demand side economics...

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I know! Let's cut taxes for the rich, again...maybe we can even sneak in an entitlement cut or two!!! It'll all trickle do, right??? LOL :rolleyes:

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What happens when people make 30k a year make 40k a year in the year 2020?

LONG LINES FOR TOILET PAPER AND CAVIAR

PUTIN'S DREAM COME TRUE COMRADES

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

This. Higher cost states can build from that increased base.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I want to commend @Senator for looking after the $15 - $25 per hour work force. You're doing a real lion's share of work out there.

14. Senator

Senator Member

If you live in Tx, the office you work in, the roads you drive on and house you live in were built by people on those wages. A good number of them likely illegals. Just because the left pretends these people don't exist doesn't make it true. Instead of being snarky and defensive, why not think things through like a grown up? It's this attitude that led to Trump being voted in by alot of previous Obama voters.

B@ffled and Corrosion like this.
  15. Senator

Senator Member

Another question is, with mortgage rates at record lows, how would this affect the ability of an American to buy a home? Can the government force home builders and owners to accept lower profits?

Alot of the manufacturing industry - quality check and those who work on the assembly lines for cars and electronics - make this wage as well.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

half of all workers make less than $15

https://fortune.com/2015/04/13/who-makes-15-per-hour/

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Why would people making that wage feel they needed to compete with people making minimum wage? The people making minimum wage and the people making that wage should both know the people making much more than that have plenty to spare and they should be united to get their fair share from them instead of worrying that the guy below them got a tiny break in their pay.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Let the market determine the wage but I can tell you one thing... the economy will BOOM!!! because middle and lower class spend 100+% of their income so in the short term they will have an explosion in buying power. Long term wages and the cost of goods and services should stabilize but will still be great for the economy so long as executive wages stay flat because really the inequality gap is the biggest issue now.

20. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Most people would not take a wage cut of 25 percent of their income to move to an easier job. .