1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What were they saying about Gary Payton on 610 KILT?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr. Basketball, Jun 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Basketball

ON 610 KILT

I MISSED THE BEGINING OF THE CONVERSATION, BUT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT THE POSSIBILTY OF GARY PAYTON SGNING WITH US AND MOBLEY COMMING OF THE BENCH. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE CONVERSATION, AND WHAT WOULD BE THE CHANCES OF HIM REALLY COMMING HERE?

2. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

They did say they could talk about using the vetran mid level exception to try to sign him, but signing him could put the rockets over the luxury tax and Les will not let that happen.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

If Payton could be had for the MLE and Les let the luxury tax keep it from happening I would be amazed. Payton would put asses in seats and offset the tax. And we'd also have a sure ticket to the playoffs. Then again, I can't see either of these things happening.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it sounds like a good idea but.....

gary will not take such a pay cut.

cat will not being on the bench with gary and steve taking up so much playing time.

gary will have to become like jason kidd in order for us to win. that means he cant look to score at all since we have yao, steve, and cat.

5. SLA

SLA Member

Would any of you accept a sign and trade...Mobley for Gary?

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

In a heartbeat.

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

And I bet that means no Posey, either.

8. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

as fast as a blink of an eye.

9. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Member

Negative : Gary Payton Is 35 years old.

Postive :Hes good enough thou to play for maybe 4-5 years depending on his health. I think this would be a good move for the Houston Rockets until there team really develops w/ age. He a proven veteran, who can win.

Nice to See Payton/Gundy together helping out the rockets.

But i really doubt hes gonna take the MidLevel, Unless there is something he likes about Houston. I dont think he has even thought about houston, why would he come here??????

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Edited thread subject to be something that remotely gave away what the thread was about.

11. MManal

MManal Member

If the Rockets can acquire Payton w/o losing Yao or Francis, it would be an absolute coup imo. A trio of Yao, Francis and Payton would be incredible and work well together. The rest would be a matter of filling in the appropriate role players. Francis would learn a great deal from Payton, and GP would really set the tone with his work ethic, defensive intensity, etc. Despite being 35, Payton still looks like an extremely solid PG with atleast 3-5 yrs left imo. That being said, I'd be surprised if the Bucks signed and traded Payton for a package of something like Mobley, Griffin, Rice, etc.

12. Sane

Sane Member

It would have to be a 3-way. Milwaukee is loaded at SG, loaded at SF, and loaded at PF.

Payton would take us to 50 wins, absolutely no doubt about it.

Mo Taylor, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato

for

Payton, Caffey, their choice of (Desmond Mason or Micheal Redd)

How does that sound?

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah let's get him along with Ewing as an assistant. Someone suggested John Starks as an assistant, I like that idea too. Karl Malone still has some left in the tank, I'd like to see us go after him as well. Anyone else? Stockton retired, so he's out. Let's see...I wonder what Derek Whittenburg and Lorenzo Charles are doing right now...

14. tozai

tozai Member

Hmm, I'm just curious what exactly you envision the Rockets goals to be?
    To win FIFTY games? WOW...
    To make the playoffs? oohhh
    Or to make a run for the finals with some vets and then fall off?

I'd hope it's too develop a team around Yao and Steve, note --develop--meaning to take some time, as in several years. Don't you all want to win a championship or just be Dallas/Minnesota/Phoenix? We could be there pretty damn soon, but to be with SA/Sac/LA, it'll take a little longer and signing players like GP won't work so well in the long-run IMO.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think its pretty much eye candy or a dream like Brand. If Payton takes the mle , it would be for a team like LA who is really,really close to winning a ring. Even with Payton, this team is still no closer than a 4th or 5th seed in the West. If Payton goes to La, they're probably no worse than a 3rd seed. Shaq has started working out with T-Mac's trainer so expect LA to be back regardless of Payton. Payton ,like Malone want a ring and in the West its only about 3 or 4 teams that can give them the realistic possibility in the West. Houston for all their talents, isn't one of them.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't forget Jack Sikma is looking to make a comeback. Said he would sign for the veteran minimum.

17. Just B

Just B Member

Like they said, in a heartbeat! I like Cat, but Payton and Francis are also friends and Payton's a lot more experienced

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

GP sounds like C-Webb did during his FA. Every team is the greatest etc etc. It's a con.

GP has three choices:
    1 resign with Bucks
    2 take someone's MCE for three years
    3 try to effect a sign and trade by finding a team with a player Bucks would want

Sure, GP could be a Rock, but not for Cat. Milwaukee already has Mason and Redd (Redd and Mason?). Now, Cato? Maybe.

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

Or he can sign with Miami (my bet). Miami could then resign Alonzo and boom, they are instant contenders in the East.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Nothing says youth movement like trading a 20 something 2-guard for a 35 year old PG! Seriously if Gary Payton were to take the MLE don't you think he would take the Lakers before he took the Rockets since he's trying to win a ring? And the Lakers are interested in getting him.