1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What we need

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Feb 3, 2000.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I see so many threads in here touting the height, assists, or scoring averages of potential draftees and free agents. Why are we prisoners of these useless stats? It seems we're just using them because these are the stats the NBA and NCAA compile.

What we ought to be looking at is game tapes that show the subtler things our team really needs. We have an extremely quick backcourt that can score, penetrate, dish, steal, and run the break. The players we add in the frontcourt should have complimentary skills.

They should have good hands and eyes to catch the dish and finish, whether on half-court penetration or on the break. They should set Malone-quality (not Olajuwon-quality) picks. They should have enough weight and strength to clear out space in the lane for their own boards and for guard penetration. They should be good free-throw shooters so that when they catch the pass under the hoop and go up in a crowd, they can punish defenders for giving them the hard foul. And they should have the predatory mindset and hand-eye coordination to block shots so we can spring our fast guys for the break.

Now, who among the upcoming draftees or free agents gives us those skills?

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Tim Duncan. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

3. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NO ONE!!

Actually, a Shawn Kemp in his prime fits the mold, but that's about it.

And to include a few more complimentary traits, the most important trait that needs to be included is a scoring low post presence, which is practically a prerequisite for a chamionship caliber team. Doesn't even necessary have to be a big man.

Actually Grummet, Duncan wouldn't qualify as a good free throw shooter since he has yet to finish a season shooting over 70% and he doesn't exactly punish players with his picks.
    (Sorry, couldn't resist) [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Da Man (edited February 03, 2000).]

4. Da Man

Supporting Member

Sorry at 230 lbs., Kenyon Martin doesn't qualify as a person who has the weight and strength to clear out space in the lane for his own boards on a regular basis at the NBA level. Also, it's kind of hard to set Malone quality picks at 230 lbs. And he has yet to finish a collegiate season of free throwing shooting over 70 %.

Oops, forgot to add the smile. [​IMG]

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You don't want much, do ya' Will? :]

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Oh, and they should demonstrate fluency in at least three languages.

7. Da Man

Supporting Member

Actually, I will settle for no less than another Hakeem Olajuwon, who is 2 inches taller, 20 lbs heavier, and sets quality picks like Karl Malone.

I REFUSE TO SETTLE FOR ANYTHING COMMONER WHO DOES NOT FIT THOSE CRITERIAS!!!

8. grummett

I could live with Duncan's FT % and pick-setting abilities. [​IMG]

9. Da Man

Supporting Member

Dammit!!

Fine, I will settle for no less than another Hakeem Olajuwon, who is 2 inches taller, 20 lbs heavier, sets quality picks like Malone, and speaks as many languages as Mutumbo.

Oh yeah,I wouldn't mind someone who also has the ability to play the bag pipes. THERE!

Grummet: Don't bend into the pressure. If you hold out on the hamburger, you can have a Steake with a little desert on the side.

10. grummett

Compromise is a given in life after 16 years of marriage and a houseful of daughters.

11. fatty fat fat

fatty fat fat Member

Look, I'm no genius, but I would love to have back our former star Elmer Bennett. I've never seen another player that could do so much with so little playing time.

He was Awesome!

If he wasn't available, I would look into a player that was the 2000's version of World B. Free, simply because I like the name.

12. Bobby

Bobby Member

Brian Cardinal - Purdue. At 6'8", he's an aggressive rebounder and defender, excellent shooter inside and outside the arc, will take the hard foul (leads the nation in taking charges, I think) and can give it back as well. Super court presence, mature and intelligent. Broke his thumb in early December, had a cast on but only missed three games. Needs to bulk up some and has the frame to carry another 20-30 pounds without losing any quickness.

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Bobby. That's the kind of answer I'm looking for. What about Da Man's critique of Martin? Does he just duplicate the skills of Cato and Rogers and not give us the additional size and power to set solid picks and fight with the big boys in the lane?

14. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Brain Cardinal is a nice player, but doesnt fit the system at all and I DONT think he can hang with the big boys.

Kenyon Martin probably is 230, BUT he will more likely gain a little more weight. He is no boney, skinny guy. He is muscular and powerfull. He reminds me of Alonzo Mourning.

Kenyon Martin is the real deal and he fits with this team. Nothing more you can ask for!

15. Da Man

Supporting Member

If you want a comparison for Kenyon Martin, think of Antonio McDyess. The same type of explosiveness with almost identical size. Martin may only weigh in at 230(maybe upwards of 240), but I call it a strong wirery 230. Much in the same vein as Gary Payton and Dennis Rodman. He looks skinny, but he's real strong when it comes to mixing it up. As I have said, he is super explosive and I don't like to just toss around that term with anyone. He could catch Alleys all day long. Has long arms. Has very solid footwork down low. His low post game brings back some memories of Antwan Jamison. He has spin moves, fadeaways, and a not so textbook jump hook. He has developed a very solid jumper out to 18 feet. Can run the court not only as well as any collegiate front court player, but as well as any NBA front court player. Has shown some ability to take his man off the dribble. I think his shot blocking skills will translate into the pros. He has learn how to stay out of foul trouble this year. Has vastly improved his free throw shooting. What he does need to improve on is his offensive game. As much as he has improved his offensive game since last year, he still has a few rough spots. His jump hook can be little bit more refined. Needs a go-to move down low. Needs to rely less on his athleticism on the defensive end and learn more of the technical aspects. Can get a bit lazy on his rebounding positioning due to his superior size and athleticism in college. Will he fit into the Rockets future game plan? Yes. At this point, he's probably the best fit out of all the college players for the Rockets.

Brian Cardinal is a very, VERY fringe NBA player. He is very hard working, but he's undersized and unathletic. Heart can only go so far. Another typical good college player, decent CBA player.

Mark Madsen is probably a guy you want to look into. He measures around 6'9", 240 lbs. An absolute beast around the basket. The "Mad Dog" nickname says it all. Has above average athleticism. Fights for the boards like you wouldn't believe. Does a lot of dirty work in the low post on both ends of the court. Has some offensive game. Probable late 1st round pick.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Excellent Will...yes. The PF we pick we don't want to end up playing only a low post, back to basket game. We also don't want a SF who can only do highlight reel dunks and wants the ball a lot.

Personally, I want a workhorse. And I am not looking at the draft for that.

I want: Danny Fortson

#4 in rebounds last year, 11.6 rebounds, 4.6 offensive rebounds last year. 6-7, 260 lbs of Malone pickage. Early injury this year has him out of the stats and out of all the radar screens since Mo is getting all the trade talk instead.

This is his third year. Celtics are dealing him. They are stupid to do so.

Give me some solid rebounding to free up Cato go for blocks and start fastbreaks. Plus, he's good around the rim for the drive and dish.

Will is right. State how your pick will fit into a guard-oriented, defensive team. Start conversative that way, and hope you find a star. To me, nobody anybody has mentioned in a possible trade is a guaranteed star. So, lets talk about team mix around Francis and defense.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 03, 2000).]

17. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

DaMan, I have seen a lot of Mad Dog and have become less and less convinced he is NBA material. I think he is really more like 6' 8", and we he has gone up against top notch competition (Arz, UConn), he has not be able to physically dominate like one would expect from a top notch college player. He also doesn't have any range on the jumper, limited post-up moves, and isn't shooting free throws well. I think he will be at best a 2nd round pick. IMO-the Collins twins on Madson's team--who both go around 6' 10/11" and 250 with long arms--may end up being better pro propects.

18. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

i say we just need a very good post player in the draft and we can compete year in and year out in the league for 15 years.

pf:kenyon martin/carlos rogers
    sf:kenny thomas/walt williams
    c: kelvin cato/ [​IMG]
    sg:shandon anderson/cuttino mobley
    pg:steve francis/bryce drew

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

[This message has been edited by brahma rocket (edited February 03, 2000).]

19. Francis3

Francis3 Member

With Kenny Thomas and the wizard at the small forward spot we wont be competing for ****.

20. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Jerome Williams of the Detroit Pistons. He's young, hungry and a beast on the boards. This is the player (along with Theo Ratliff) that I want. Is averaging just about 10 points and 10 boards off the bench this season. Doesn't demand touches in the post. Superior defender even though he is a bit wiry for his 6'9 frame. Does the dirty work underneath and isn't afraid to mix it up. This guy reminds me of the Bad Boys of the late 80's. He is Dennis Rodman without the tattoos. The backbone of perimeter inverted offenses lies within the strength of the interior defense. I envision Cato and Williams enforcing together in the paint for years to come, while letting Francis and the guards do their thing on offense. I would love to get this guy.

Another guy I have been looking at over the past year is Theo Ratliff. I don't have to say much about him, because you all saw him play last night. His offensive game still has a lot to be desired, but in our guard oriented offense his role is solely defense. Had 2 blocks on Francis last night, and one huge one on Cato, so you can just imagine the explosive leaping ability. Would make a nice defensive shotblocking combo with Cato.

Sorry Will, I don't follow college basketball as intensely as these guys seem to, but out of all NBA power forwards, these are probably my 2 favorite.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited February 04, 2000).]