1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What we can learn from the Pelicans game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Oct 18, 2018.

1. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

What we learned? You got to play defense at least 10% of the game even if you are the best offense.

juanm34 likes this.
  2. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

At the end of the day, it’s one game. Yes it was disappointing to open the season like that, but there’s no reason to believe that such bad play will continue.

3. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Livingston is good to very good from mid-range. MCW is awful, you don't want him taking one dribble pull ups. Teams will play off him and hope he takes one dribble pull ups or wildly drives to the basket, so that's not a valid solution.

He's not that likely to get much better from 3PT than he's been, though it's not impossible. If he's a spacing liability, then he has to be in lineups where everyone else is a shooter, but realistically with the ball in his hands, but you don't really want him as a decision maker, so I don't know.

There's a reason the guy was available for the minimum and has been a <100 Ortg player through his career, so expectations need to be tapered in general anyways. He's still a third string player until he proves otherwise, but he got minutes that suggests more, but we'll see if he can live up to it.

GermanRoxFan likes this.
  4. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Once the intensity when up on the second half we look ok defensibly,

But there was a lot of confusion on rotations and switching defense. It looked like these team need a few more games to get it together, but is the West and you will have to do it while playing playoff caliber teams. BTW getting Capela in shape is a most, he looked heavier a step to slow.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

we played 9 last night
    Pelicans actually played 8

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Already addressed ;)

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And those 8 played better together than our 9. :eek:

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I keep reading posts like this like as if the Pelicans weren't working in Elfrid Payton and Julius Randle.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That's true , but maybe the style the Pelicans play it's easier to work in new pieces .

If the pelicans play up tempo , randle and Payton just have to be athletes and find spots .

For us , we really are trying to teach guys how to play as a piece in our system . I think we could use a little more tempo and freelancing ourselves ...

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When you have a frustrating/oddball loss it leaves you searching.

So, Will, really appreciate this post.

11. HP3

HP3 Member

People saying we paid Capella too much, need to slow their roll big time. Jeez, dont even try to understand.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

MCW has never been able to shoot. A lot of fans were deluded into thinking that he could suddenly become a decent shooter just by playing with CP3 and Harden in MDA's system.

Melo has never been good at defense. A lot of fans were deluded into thinking that he could suddenly become a decent defender just by playing with CP3 and not with Westbrook.

But I agree with Will. No need to freak out. We don't need MCW's shooting and Melo's defense to win, just like we didn't need the shooting of Bobby Brown and the defense of Ryan Anderson to win last season. But can we beat the Warriors in the playoffs with these same weaknesses?

HP3 likes this.
  13. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

True, but you have to remember, Most NBA Teams run set plays. The Rockets on the other hand, play a read and react offense based on CP and JH. This is going to take some time to learn....now the Defense on the other hand....

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We have one play on offense

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

The Rockets replaced 2 studs in Luc and Ariza with career losing scrubs. It's NOT just losing two really good role players, it's replacing them with steaming garbage. People are not realizing this.

Green was NEVER good. Hartenstein, Clark, Michael Carter-Williams, are you kidding me?

Carmelo Anthony hasn't had a good NBA season in at least 3 years.

This cheap off-season slammed the title window shut.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Anthony Leon Tucker, Jr.

KlutchQT likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Man, I think the worst part is, I'm not sure if Luc or Ariza were here, we still would have one. Like, idk man. I really wish Jeff didnt retire this is ridiculous.

18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yep i was all in for it

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I learned that Roy Rogers might be fine for Dale Evans (think Zombies with a basketball), but he's no Jeff Bzdelik. We need a replacement as our defensive coach who's of the same caliber as our very lamented, suddenly retired former defensive guru. I'm not terribly surprised that we have a way to go to gel as a team. I am surprised that we were as disjointed on the defensive end as we turned out to be.

I can't help but think that Coach Bzdelik would have had us better prepared. We still might have lost, the Pelicans were on a mission, but we wouldn't have looked this bad, in my opinion. Morey needs to explore a possible change there. Defense simply isn't MDA's forte. He needs a strong, highly experienced coach to handle that end, and we don't have that solved, not yet. My apologies to Coach Rogers, but the breakdown at that end can't be entirely placed at the feet of the guys on the court.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There's some truth to saying MCW & Green are barely in the league.

slothy420 likes this.