1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was your perspective of the Kevin McHale hire?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Mar 13, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

When Rick Adelman left the Rockets it was because he would not agree to coach under the constraints that Daryl Morey and Les Alexander required for the coach of the Rockets. RA has said as much in interiews this season. We knew Daryl wanted Rick to take on Chris Finch as a coach, presumably to groom as a possible future head coach. We also knew that Chris had been running the same offense at Rio Grand that Rick was running for the Rockets.

There was also the assumption that there was some frustration on Daryl Morey's part that Rick was not utilizing guys like Terrence Williams who Daryl had spent a 1st round pick to acquire him. Furthermore I don't think many if any people thought that Rick gave Daryl's analytics even the least bit of consideration.

Enter Kevin McHale. It was my perception that McHale was brought in to be DM friendly. Chris Finch would not only get to coach but he would orchestrate the Rockets offense and continue using what Rick had successfully installed. Kelvin Sampson was brought in to run the defense. McHale of course would manage the whole thing and handle in game decissions as well as take into account Daryl Morey's analytics.

Fast forward a few months and none of the perceptions that I had regarding the Kevin McHale hiring seem to hold water. Kevin has maintained from the start that he prefers dumping the ball into the post. As the season has progressed the Rockets offense to me looks less and less like what we have seen over the last few years. The defense which at times has seen some improvement from last season still seems to be abysmal.

Kevin appears to loth any form of analytical information from Daryl Morey. If Kevin is not doing things the way Daryl wants him to do things then what was the point of putting conditions on signing Adelman to a new contract? I certainly don't think anyone thought McHale was in the same class as RA as a head coach but I know some of us thought that having Sampson, Finch and Bickerstaff on the staff could make up for that. The biggest concern for me is that when McHale was hired I thought I could at least see a direction and I thought I had some idea of what DM was trying to do, but by watching the Rockets this season I see no real direction and no continuity between McHale and Daryl Morey. Is this just a false perception?

I curious what other posters perception of the McHale hiring was last summer and what the think of it now? Has it played out like you thought? Do you see any clear direction of what the team is trying to accomplish and if McHale has bought into it?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I always thought firing RA was a mistake. You don't fire Hall of Fame coaches that are winning.

However, I still like McHale. We just have a team full of slightly above average players, and it doesn't matter how good the coach is, you aren't going to be any better than .500 without stars.

3. Houston288South

I won't go into my perspective, but this was my reaction -----> :confused: & o__O

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

My perception was either 1) we wanted to tank, or 2) Les simply didn't like RA and it was more about coach/owner friction.

Since 1) clearly didn't happen, I'm going with 2).

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I'm just effin' confused on what transpired. I can only think McHale is just keeping the seat warm for Finch, but I'm not sure that makes me feel any better. RA had his good and bad moments, but overall I the good outweighed the bad by quite a bit.

Dear Thursday,

Please hurry.

Sincerely,
    NotInMyHouse

P.S. - See you next year.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I too thought we'd see more of the prospects playing this year. I thought Terrence and Thabeet might get a good look...and maybe that was the intention with the McHale hiring, but surely even Morey sees now that they don't belong in this league.

I think the main conflict with Adelman was that he wanted more say in the roster moves, and maybe McHale agreed to simply work with whatever they give him.

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I like the result so far, we may have a better pick because of Lowry injure, bad play from Marin and a new coach. McHale or Adelman, this team go nowhere with the current players. I hate mediocre for no hope in any improvement year after year.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What's with all the asterisks in the thread title and first post?

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I thought it was odd. We start winning and makes it much odder because I had felt he was a transitional coach to get us through the rebuilding process. Strange all around. Not only have they not started rebuilding? They seem to want to build on the current players and team as it is without taking any steps back. Very odd all around.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was going to ask the same?? What am I missing?

I didn't have any detailed thoughts other than that it was a coaching downgrade, potentially a big downgrade, and that everything was coming together perfectly for a tankjob of a season.

11. crash5179

Sorry, I wrote this using IA Writer and the asterisks appeared after I did a copy and past

12. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

I like him. At first I was skeptical because of his previous coaching record but now I think he's doing a good job. He's not a great X's and O's guy but he knows how to work hard and motivate players. I sometimes don't like how our offense looks but I realize that a big cause of that is the shortened off-season. Also, you can have the best system in the world but if you don't have the right players to execute it, then it's sort of pointless.

I think he has a great personality and he's very likable. On the other hand, he's direct and doesn't BS around. He's old school, which I like. I know you mentioned about the team's direction and I honestly think that we had one but Stern killed it. Overall, I think he's still learning and he'll get better

13. crash5179

So is this what you expected from KMac? I guess I expected him to embrace DM and his direction (or at least my perception of his direction) a lot more.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

McHale is a moron. He is a clueless coach who was expected to bring in some D and yet we concede 120 odd points to the likes of Raptors and Cavs.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It was a move that had to be made. Adelman did not agree with the direction of the front office. He wanted stability on the roster, and he also insisted on keeping his assistant coaching staff who had way too many of RA's close friends on it that really didnt do much.

The front office rightfully wanted to change that up. I see no problem with that. Simple as that. The front office knew that this team would most likely be just a .500 or slightly better team and they weren't ok with that for good reasons. Is Rick Adelman the better coach???... of course he is. The Front office and Morey know that.

By all respects, the team is actually better at this point in the year then they were last year so Im not really sure what everyone is complaining about. Adelman's teams are fun to watch, and has a smooth offensive style thats much more appealing to watch.

McHale is a grinder who uses a Celtics type of system. Its a much uglier brand of basketball, but affective. Fans need to give this guy another year or two before you can accurately say who was better FOR THE ROCKETS of 2011/12/13. Adelman is the better coach, but not necessarily the better coach for this team.

16. arjun

arjun Member

honestly...it would not have made much of a difference. we would be exactly where we are for the most part, and if anything..we would have a pissed off coach who is trying to win now while the team is trying to rebuild.

17. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

KMac is a ok coach - not good, not horrible either. Problem is, what Les wants is so conflicting that it does not make any sense.

Clueless Owner --> Creates a clueless GM ---> Hires a clueless coach ---> Creates head-scratching fans.:confused:

RA knew what he was doing ... trying to win at any cost. What happened to all those excuses that RA is not developing TWill and Thabeet?

18. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

It was a backward move that gives the same impression as most of the other recent moves. No Real Direction.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i thought letting Adelman go was a mistake. But then again ... I thought firing JVG was a mistake.

I am still reserving judgement on McHale because of the shortened and off-seasonless season. I also think not having a star on our roster is a challange.

I truly believe most of our problems are due more to personel than to coaching. I think he's done a pretty good job under tough circumstances.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wasn't happy about Adelman leaving, thought he generally did a good job.

I like the Kevin McHale hire because he is exactly the opposite of what you'd expect a front office to hire if they intend to throw away "old school" knowledge in favor of new-school analytics. McHale is pretty much as old-school as Adelman is.

So far, I've liked what he brings to the team, even though there are some struggles in this funky condensed season. The team is performing pretty much at the level of their talent overall and have not lost their spirit to fight (there are some bad losses, but no more than those suffered by most teams). I think the team can do well with McHale if they acquire the right pieces.

Both Adelman (since Yao's injury in 09) and McHale have had a hard job of guiding a team in transition: with management collecting decent-enough players, constantly looking for trades (out of necessity if you don't want to tank in order to rebound), and having more guys wanting significant minutes than there are spots in the rotation.