1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My Dad played bball in college, so he was one of the first people in line to buy season tickets when the Rockets moved here from San Diego. I am literally a Rocket fan since birth because of him.

I still (barely) remember going to games at the Astrodome and Hofheinz Pavilion before they built The Summit. I still remember watching Rudy T and Calvin Murphy and Billy Paultz, and Mike Newlin, and Moses Malone, and Allen Leavell, and World B Free, and Robert Reid, and Jim Peterson, and Craig Ehlo, and Avery Johnson, and........

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

first team i ever watched play around 1990....same goes for the Mets and 49ers. i liked the oilers too

3. Rocketball4Life

Well basically I owe my love of the Rockets to my father. As a child during the 80's I can remember him watching all the games and urging me to get excited during the big ones. Hakeem, Sleepy, and Bruce Gietzen (pre-game & half-time anouncer) are who my earliest memories are of. I have been a hardcore fan ever since. Thanks Dad!

4. kungfueurotrash

I grew up in Houston ever since child birth.... The championship years influence me that this team is all heart and blood.... A true sportsmanship to their profession and the community...

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Oh god jealou-say. :(

6. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

Grew up in Houston. Ever since the days of going out and playing basketball on the driveway so I've always loved the sport. I guess it was one of the more accessible sports for me.

Of course the Celtics and Lakers were power houses during that time in the with the likes of Magic and Larry Bird. Between teams like them and things like the the Dr. J / Larry Bird One-on-One computer game on the Apple II (anybody remember that game????) and playing out on the driveway with my friends, basketball became a part of my identity as a kid as I grew up.

Then came the Phi Slamma Jamma era in Houston with UH during middle school and high school for me which peaked my interest in following not only the Akeem (back then), Clyde and others but the Houston Rockets as well.

Then came the Twin Towers (Akeem and Sampson) era. Who could forget the "Ivory Tower" (Jim Peterson), Robert Reid, Lucas, Lloyd, Bill Fitch and company? Who could forget Sampson's incredible inbounds shot to beat the Lakers in the WCF with time expiring!!?? From then on I have been a lifelong die-hard Rockets fan.

7. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

YOFs are gross

8. mtlkf

mtlkf Rookie

Beacuse Hakeem Olajuwon.
    When Dream help rockets won their championships 1993-94 season.

9. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Watching Akeem back in college and followed him to the pros. been a Rockets fan ever since.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It was because Houston was the first city that I lived in the US and for my love for it.Hakeem made me even fonder of the Houston Rockets especially when we won the Championships. It filled me with such great pride to see Houston win.
    Winning or losing will never make me waiver in my support for the Houston Rockets.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was a huge fan of the Coogs and Elvin Hayes when he played at UH. Elvin ended up with the San Diego Rockets, who moved to Houston and grabbed my interest. Yes, I'd followed the NBA for years before then, and wanted Houston to get a team, but the fact that Elvin was on it really had me juiced. They come to Houston and he's only with them the first year. :(

Needless to say, I stayed a fan of the Rocks!

KILL THE BUCKS!!! CRUSH YI!!

12. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

mother****in YOFs.... theres 116 of you? god damn...

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Are you on crack?

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I had watched and been to Astros, Rockets, & Oilers games in the 6 years before when we moved to Houston in 1980. But 1986 was a fantastic year. Rockets in the finals and the Astros in the NLCS. The Oliers were beginning to show signs of life with Jerry Glanville and Warren Moon.

When the Rockets beat the Lakers in the WCF, I was hooked. I had watched (H)Akeem since the UH days, but was never really personally invested in any of the Houston teams until that year.

#94 leroy, Nov 9, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  15. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Dream.

basketball wasn't very popular where i grew up but Bruce Lee was. i watched 'Game of Death' and my older brother told me Kareem was a bball player so i became a casual faker fan. no televised games except the occasional highlight from ABC's 'Wild World of Sports'. the box scores and standings in the local paper was my only way to follow the game.

then i came to Houston and saw the 8th natural wonder of the world. Dream was amazing. me ---> hooked.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Grew up near Houston (Lake Jackson)... went to games every year on or around my birthday in late December... since like '76 or '77...

17. SmitingPurpleEm

Apparently we are a plurality.

18. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

This is the best poll I have ever seen. This is a cleverly disguised poll to single out the YOFs. We now know that this board is full of them, correct?

19. booshan

booshan Contributing Member

Because of Rodney McCray (the original #22!). He is from New York State (Mt. Vernon) & played my high school in the state championship. He went to Louisville and then was drafted by the Rockets. I followed his career until he retired and stuck with the Rockets.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Because of Rudy T