1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what to see and do in India for a week?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Prempeh, Sep 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I am thinking about taking a vacation in India fairly soon...anybody have "must-do's" for while I am there? I know it's a big place, and I'm only going to take a week, so that will limit me somewhat, but I was more looking forward to seeing some of the country side/mountains/etc and more of the cultural aspects of the country.

Many thanks.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Diarrhea medicine. Even in the more expensive hotels you'll have very good chance of getting the squirts and you have to be crazy to eat outside.

3. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Go to the state of Rajasthan...See Udaipur and Jaipur, great cities....Agra is close enough too, where you can see the Taj Mahal and then finish up in New Delhi. Basically, you'll spend all your time in North India given the limited time you have. Lots of palaces, old cities,etc. to see....

4. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Here is a new travel diary from Slate.com that runs this entire week.

Trying Really Hard to Like India

#4 Doctor Robert, Sep 27, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

India, depends where in the country you want to go, you could say what to do in American, If you let us know a base, or place where you will be landing, it might be easier to figure this out per city.

6. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I will be landing in Mumbai, and will be on a limited budget, so I am hoping for some cheap transport up to Northern India, b/c from what I hear, that's the place to go...problem is, I don't where to actually go in detail!

Jokes aside, I was getting drunk with some Indian sailors a while back on board their vessel, and they were saying that Kashmir is absolutely beautiful.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Don't go. India is a dreadful, dreadful place.

You know, it's the only country that still has the plague? I mean, the plague! Please!

If I had to go to India, I wouldn't go to the bathroom the entire trip.

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The first thing that popped into my mind was something my wife saw there while on business a few months back:

She was walking in the street near her pricey hotel in the most populous city on earth when a man walking in front of her stopped...............squated.................and took a dump in the middle of the street. I said, "Honey.....you're from Dallas......isn't that normal for you?"

Anyway, if you're from the U.S., expect to see a country whose overall culture shows a familial strength that is light years beyond ours. Sadly, our sense of charity is light years beyond theirs. You won't have much trouble telling the difference between the "haves" and "have nots."

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Mumbai, wonderful city. Hop on a train go to goa. wonderful nude beaches. ;)

Kashmir is actually very very beautiful, wonderful place, my grand parents always tell me that it is a part of heaven on earth. But if you are white/foreign. DO NOT GO TO KASHMIR. Target of terrorism.

Near bombay you shoudl check out, The Elephanta caves, Karla caves, Boriveli National Park or the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Bassein Fort, The Tomb of Haji Ali ,
    Go to aurangabad, and check out the ajanta ellora caves, which are extremely awesome.
    Khandala, awesome hill station.

Everything is cheap considering the value of a dollar. Train tickets are cheap unless travelling first class(which is still cheap, but as costly as a plane ticket)

CODELL: India is awesome,

10. drapg

drapg Member

From what I hear, Goa is where the fun is at.

I only go to Mumbai. Last time I went, my cousin took me to all of the best bars and clubs in town.

I never knew Indian women who were pre-FOBs were so hot!

And damn were there clubs posh! Makes our bars and clubs look like turds in comparison. Marble tile floor, gold fixtures, COLD A/C (I didn't sweat once inside a packed club, unheard of here!)

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

yep went to the club my first time in india this time. It was pretty nice, but HYD is really conservative compared to bombay/delhi.

Goa is where it is at... Im telling you, A MUST VISIT...

12. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Try the hamburgers. Deeeeelish.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

another brilliant post!!! :D kudos to you, sir.

14. droxford

droxford Member

One of my family members who visited India also said that he saw this exact same thing while he was there. Said it was not uncommon at all for people to stop what they were doing, drop their pants, squat and take a dump in the street.

No thanks

-- droxford

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Street crapping occurs in South America too.

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I dont know how old that is, But indecent exposure is treated with ass whoopings in India nowadays. Maybe a homeless here and ther will get away with crapping or peeing on the street, but in a posh area, he will get some real crap kicked out of him....

17. mulletman

mulletman Member

a little off topic, but anyone know where all those homeless people you can see at every traffic light in houston take dumps?

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I heard the beaches and tea growing hills in the southern state of Kerala are really nice.

19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Port-A-Potties ... A little more off-topic, but one of the sickest things I ever saw was on the metro bus on my way to then Enron Field

Sitting at a stop light in downtown Houston I saw an old homeless guy and an old homeless lady come out of the port-a-potty together. Now that's not the best place to do that at all. I guess they were like Christina Aguilera and like it REAL Dirrrty.

20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

When I was in school, I saw a homeless woman giving her homeless boyfriend a hand job underneath his trenchcoat on Guadalupe in broad daylight.