1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What To Do About Our Own Free Agents?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets111, Jul 5, 2006.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The first job of every NBA player is to endorse their paycheck. They'll do it gladly.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Bogans started 90% of the games when he came to Houston, how can he not be happy about that?

I wouldn't mind bringing back either one of Wesley, Bogans, or Frahm. Both Wesley and Frahm are gonna give us shooting for which we really need. But Bogans has good size and defense that we are completely lacking at SG right now.

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find that hard to believe because he played almost 10 minutes more per game than he has ever played in his career last year and he started the vast majority of the games he played as a Rocket. No way he was unhappy.

What last year proved, though, is that he gives you almost identical production in 30 minutes that he does in 20. That spells backup. I hope we keep him for his defense, toughness, and aggresive style. If we have added at least Battier, Novak, and James then his lack of shooting will not really matter as much.

4. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

I would like to see us re-sign bogans, I wouldnt mind re-signing frahm.. wouldn't be that bad.

5. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

resign wesley and bogans. fraham if we can't get anything else. wesley will be cheap, and bogans has the potential. wesley is still good in short stints and bogans could really become a player.

now if we could just find a young cheap PF who will break out and become a starter....

maybe cato will have to do for now.

we shoulda got in on that villanueva action...

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bogans, yes. Frahm, are you high? The guy played like one minute for the rockets. From what I saw, he certainly wasn't anything special.

Bogans may not be a shooter, but he does all of the other little things that you need a basketball player to do. Plus, he's got size, and we badly need that in our dwarfish backcourt.

I just don't understand the obsession with this Frahm guy. Take a look at his career numbers, and you certainly don't come away thinking that this is a guy we need to lock up.

7. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Frahm was injured most of the time here. He did have some nice games though, one against the Lakers stands out. He has a pure of a shot as anyone in the league.

8. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Before Frahm came to the Rockets his career numbers were the only thing that I had to base my opinion on, and came away with the same opinion you have mentioned above.

After watching him play last year I noticed he has a really nice shot. Given another year at under $900k he can put up alot more points than Bowen does and help keep the defense spaced out when he is on the floor. Heis the type of player that is just glad to have a job, and with some experience playing in the Rockets system I think he will be able to play better this coming year in limited minutes.

For anyone that is opposed to resigning Frahm. Who do you suggest the Rockets go out and sign that will play for around the league min with his height and shooting ability?

9. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

10. rserina

rserina Member

At this stage, none of our free agents are really competing for anything other than spots 11-15 on this team.

Assuming we obtain James and another post player, we will have rotation including McGrady, Yao, Battier, James, Alston (or other point), Howard, Hayes, additional post player, Mutombo, and Novak. Any out of Wesley, Bogans, Frahm, and Bowen would just give us some relatively cheap role-playing veterans who keep our key players rested during the regular season and become spot performers in the playoffs. I can handle any of the above guys in that role.

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Bogans should be re-signed. He is a solid rotation guard. If the Rockets need shooting once the rest of the moves are made, they should sign Wesley. If Frahm walks, I wouldn't even notice.

12. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

I Repeat BOGANS IS SIGNED.

Rooks get a clue.

13. The Hungarian Rocket

Bogans can play at 2 or 3 position, can defend at the perimeter. If he's not too expensive, let's resign him. Frahm will be a benchwarmer. Anyway we have to fill our roster (16 players) so we need some cheap benchwarmers (like Frahm).

14. The Hungarian Rocket

He's a restricted free agent, no?

15. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Bogans? I never see a NBA player miss so many layups like he does. He is aggressive, he goes to the basket a lot but he can't finish. Even his free throw is not good.

Frahm? Total garbage.

Any team that play these two guys more than 10 minutes per game is not a good team.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I saw your first post, but since Bogans does not have an option on his contract, I assumed you didn't know what you were talking about. Do you have contract information?

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Newbies. What can you say?

Weslinder, I mean you no disrepect, but r-fan-since-81 has been around for a long time and his credibility is unquestioned. Take his word for it. Thanks. :)

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind resigning Wesley (I am assuming Bogans accepted our offer already) for a small amount. He is still a decent player (despite his 40 game slump at the beginning of last year) and would be a servicable backup...and could play some starters minutes if someone went down. Plus, if he didn't play much, maybe his legs would stay fresh and he could consistently knock down 3's.

19. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Do GM's smoke crack too? :D

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It really depends on who we pick up with our MLE and trades but I think Bogans is someone they should consider to bring back. He can play decent minutes off the bench at the 2/3 spot.