1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the Rockets get to look forward to this upcoming season....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by koby1868, Jul 19, 2010.

1. koby1868

koby1868 Member

In most people's eyes the Houston Rockets of last season had a mediocre .500 season. As Rockets fans we had the opportunity to watch each and every one of our players grow and develope. We have the most depth out of any team in the NBA.

Starting 5:
    - Aaron Brooks: 2010 NBA's Most Improved Player, League Leader in 3pt FG's Made, Averaged 20 PPG and 5 Assists. I'd expect his scoring to drop slightly but he should improve in his assists and his 3pt FG% with more open looks with Yao in the post.
    - Kevin Martin: Acquiring Martin was a steal for the Houston Rockets, we were in need of a SG with Ariza playing out of position. Martin is an elite scorer in the NBA but didn't get much recognition in Sacramento. He managed to average 21 PPG without really understanding the system. With the half of the season he played last year and this summer to prepare Kevin should be pretty hard to contain. Martin is also one of the league leaders in FT attempts per game as well as FT%.
    - Trevor Ariza: Ariza came to the Rockets last offseason and was put in a position he wasn't ready for. He isn't the go-to guy on a team, he's a role player. After the trade for Martin, Ariza was able to slide into SF position where he belongs. He doesn't have to handle the ball and the expectations for him aren't nearly as high. He can sit back and do what he does best, slash to the basket for easy dunks and knock down the spot up 3. With Yao back this year you'd expect easier looks and more opportunites for Ariza to attack the basket. Through his ups and downs last season he still averaged 15 PPG and 6 Rebounds.
    - Luis Scola: To be honest I wasn't a fan of the Chris Bosh deal because we were going to be losing so many of our young assets for a player that doesn't do that much more than Luis. He averaged 16 PPG and 9 Rebounds. Considering that much of his season was split with Carl Landry his numbers were great. This was probably one our best offseason moves we could have made. He spreads the floor for Yao with his ability to knock down the mid range jumper and last year showed what kind of low post moves he has with the up and under.
    - Yao Ming: The missing piece to the puzzle. Yao got us through the first round two years ago and without going down probably would have put us past LA. With Yao back it puts us back as one of the top defensive teams and adds one of the league leaders in FG% and FT% back to the roster.

I'd have to say that what I'm looking forward to the most next season is the depth of our bench and thier impact on the team. We've got great backups at each position and in some cases two or three.
    - Kyle Lowry: Lowry is explosive and attacks the basket every opportunity he gets, the game doesn't change when he comes in. He keeps the tempo up and runs on every team. He averaged a solid 9 PPG and 4 Assists off the bench. He's a perfect fit for our second group and as a back up to Aaron Brooks.
    - Jermain Taylor: Taylor made a name for himself late in the season last year with some good starts and quality minutes for the Rockets. He had a great performance against Kobe and the Lakers proving he's ready for the league. I think he's a solid backup to Kevin Martin. He's a run and gun type of player who can knock down the jumpshot and is explosive around the rim. This year in the Summer League he averaged 18 PPG ranking in the top 10 in scoring, also making the All Tournament Team.
    - Chase Budinger: Chase had a great Rookie season last year averaging 9 PPG. He's a great shooter and finishes at the basket with the best of them. As for all the other 3pt shooters on the team, he should get better looks with Yao on the floor.
    - Jordan Hill: Hill has spent the summer developing into a NBA big man. Before the trade for Brad Miller, Hill was expected to be Yao's backup. This means he would have to guard elite Centers in the NBA, he's not ready for that. He now gets to settle into the backup spot for Luis Scola at the PF. He's developed a back to the basket game and finishes great at the rim. It's been said that Hill has been spending his summer focusing on just two things, Defense and Rebounding.
    - Patrick Patterson: He didn't get much attention at Kentucky because of Wall and Cousins but in my opinion he's just as good. Pat is a perfect fit on the Rockets with his post game and suprising range on the court. During his debut in the Summer League he was 2-2 from the 3. Hopefully he's not rushed into anything, he has great players to learn from and develope into a great forward.
    - Brad Miller: What a great addition to the team. Exactly what we needed, a legit 7' backup. Finally no more Chuck Hayes in at center.

Expendables:
    - Shane Battier: He has a lot to offer, and expiring contract and he's a great defender. Only problem is he's lost a step or two.
    - Jefferies: He's a great defender but has no clue what to do on the offensive end, and he also has a large expiring contract. I don't expect to see him on the floor.
    - Chuck Hayes: I don't really see much use for Chuck anymore. He's also a fantastic defender but he is undersized and offensively limited.
    - David Anderson: I don't know what happened to him at the end of the season but he's a scrub anyways, I hope they package him in on any trade that they may try and make.

I don't see anyone else in the league with depth like that. I don't even see the need to add another star. We are a championship team exactly were we are. Go Rockets

2. rodmanhust

rodmanhust Member

great post.

whole season will depend again on Yao's health.

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

good post. But not so fast on shane and chuck. Both are amazing players for the right situation. Chuck can lock down a few superstars, as well as shane. Unless Taylor really surprises us, and i hope he does, then he shouldn't be taking minutes from Shane. Just as Morey says that he doesn't think ppat will getr minutes, we will not be developing players like last season. Les is paying tax and there is a very small learning curve. For this same reason I'm a bit concerned for Chase. He'll really need to jump out to a fast start to secure his spot. There won't be time for slumps, like the summer league.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i like how you put 3 of the best defenders on the team, two of whom are huge locker room presences and captains as expendables

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It's going to be good to bring in Chuck and Battier for situational minutes. Battier will be able to use his defensive experience to lock down perimeter players. (He kills superstars. Not all the time, but more than most defenders in the league...)

And Chuck Hayes... Wow.

What happens when an unstoppable force meets Chuck Hayes? Not so unstoppable anymore.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

paragraphs and spacing please

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

1. Battier, our team capital the past year, will not be a situational player. Rightly or wrongly, he will be coming off the bench before Chase or Taylor. Now thats not to say he can't be traded before the end(or beginning) of the season.

2. Chuck Hayes will not play behind Hill or Patterson. At this point in their careers, Chuck is simply far and away the superior basketball player, offense/defense be damned. People seem to forget how he held the fort for us as the starting Center last year, at 6'6. How he bamboozles the KGs and Duncans out there when playing his natural position. Now a year later being displaced by a couple of rookies? Now this is not to say Patterson can't work his way into the rotation ala Landry's rookie year if he is truly exceptional. But that is, well, the exception, not the rule. Hill, I won't even bother commenting on. Trade bait.

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Looking forward to watching our young bigs develop, seeing as Yao will miss the entire season... oh wait, that was last season. *wink*

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I disagree with you about the Expendibles other than Andersen. Hayes, Battier, and Jefferies are our three best defenders and should see plenty of floor time. I forcast a trade before the season starts to make some more room on our roster. Right now i couldnt tell you who the obvious candidates are but it could be anyone.

For example...maybe we trade Ariza, Taylor, Andersen, 2 first round picks for a Danny Grainger or Iggy. We uprade a starting position and make room and potentially free up cap space with the right player. There is no speculation about this yet but the way we are stacked right now its a definite possibility. If nothing come to fruition than at least we are well prepped for injuries.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

My thoughts exactly. The bench he picked better sizzle on offense, because they're not going to slow down many teams.

11. rocketsunited

rocketsunited Member

Great thread! Although I agree and wouldn't call Chuck Hayes and Battier "expendables" just yet. They are amazing on the defensive end; and I'm sure we're gonna need them just for that during many of our games. Rockets all the way! This season will be great, I'm counting on it.

12. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

How is the progress of the bionic leg technology?