1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the Hell??? Francis didn't make the Goodwill Roster?????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Francis, May 17, 2001.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Thats a damn shame. How can the best PG in the NBA not make the team? I heard it on 740 KTRH.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

2. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

You serious? I thought they just named the assistant coaches today.

------------------

3. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

As much as I love Stevie, he's NOT the best point in the NBA.

Not yet ...

------------------
    Technically speaking, we're #1!
    ~Portland fans

4. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

By the way, who are on the roster?

------------------
    Technically speaking, we're #1!
    ~Portland fans

5. tacoma park legend

Definitely not the best point in the league, but can you name 12 players better than him that were eligible for the team?

It would be nice to see one of the Rockets players a little earlier than usual, and see how his game has progressed.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited May 17, 2001).]

6. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

The goodwill Roster is a mixture of NBA and College talent. For the NBA players to make the team they must be under a certian age -- 22 or under I think. I'm pretty sure Francis was ineligible for this reason.

------------------

7. tacoma park legend

But players from the 99-00 draft were eligible for the team, even if they were not under the age of 22.

------------------

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

When did they announce the roster? Cause All I could find was that they announced that Doc Rivers, Tom Izzo and some guy named Purnell from Dayton were the assistant coaches.

------------------
    Charles Barkely on the Raptors defeating the Knicks in Round 1 :"I think it was the Lord. The Lord was with the Raptors. You know the Knicks like to talk so much about religion, but I think the Lord was a Raptor fan."

9. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

TPL, Although I'm confident that there is a certain age a player must be under to participate in the games, I'm not quite sure of the exact age.

------------------

10. Puedlfor

Its 22, but players who where drafted in 99 or 00 are also eligible, regardless of age.

------------------
    Charles Barkely on the Raptors defeating the Knicks in Round 1 :"I think it was the Lord. The Lord was with the Raptors. You know the Knicks like to talk so much about religion, but I think the Lord was a Raptor fan."

11. Puedlfor

From the press release announcing Flip Saunders as the head coach :

"The player selection criteria developed by the Senior National Committee calls for the 2001 USA Goodwill Games Team to be comprised of NBA players who were either drafted in 1999 or 2000, or who are 22-years-old or younger. USA player selections will be made at a later date."

------------------

12. tacoma park legend

Thanks for clearing that up Puedlfor.

------------------

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you sure you heard that right? They announced the all rookie team yesterday, and I see no info anywhere concerning the announcement of the Goodwill Games roster.

------------------

14. haven

haven Member

I would *much* rather Francis didn't play. It seems like the returning Olympians/Good Will gamers always wear out before the end of the season - well, they're more likely to at least. Maybe it's just a coinincidence - but it still spooks me out.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

15. unt2003

unt2003 Member

i would rather see Franchise get his rest this off-season. After all its only the Goodwill Games.....

------------------

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I guess best case scenario for us is Steve is selected and then declines ? Oh, well maybe not.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Just as long as he is on the Olympic Roster in 2004.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I don't know the roster. I just heard Steve on 740 yesterday and he said he couldn't believe he was looked over for the Goodwill games. Rudy T was pissed also.

------------------

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Here is a snippet of a story on the USA basketball website which indicates the team will be picked at a later date (the story is dated 05/16):

Minnesota Timberwolves head coach Flip Saunders was announced on March 21 as head coach of the 12-member USA team which will be comprised of young NBA players who will represent the United States in the Goodwill Games for the first time. The assistant coaches selections were made by the USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team Committee which is chaired by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President of Basketball Operations. The player selection criteria
    developed by the Senior National Committee calls for the 2001 USA Goodwill Games Team to be comprised of NBA players who were either drafted in 1999 or 2000, or who are 22-years-old or younger. USA player selections will be made at a later date.

The complete article can be found at:

http://www.usabasketball.com/usab/Men/01_goodwill_staff_additions.html

------------------

20. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Amen to that.

------------------