1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the 13 Signees tell me about the personality of the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ottomaton, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13 Players under contract - They are:

RB - Michael Basnight 6'2" 249
    RB - Frank Moreau 6'2" 230
    RB - Matt Snider 6'3" 232

S - Leomont Evans 6'2" 213
    S - Kevin Williams 6'0" 192
    CB - Anthony Malbrough 5'9" 180
    CB - Jason Suttle 5'10" 181

OL - Robert Hicks 6'6" 338
    OL - Jerry Wisne 6'7" 324
    OL - Jim Jones 6'3" 318

DT - Jason Nikolao 6'2" 300

QB - Mike Quinn 6'4" 216

The things that stand out to me: the Texans are going after big RB's that can run between the Tackles. Also, all three of these guys can catch the ball. Basnight is a tailback, Snider a FB, and Moreau can probably play both.

IMO, Basnight is, if everything goes well, the Texan's opening day RB. Basnight was a IAA player in college who backed up Corey Dillon. Though he mised a year with a broken hand, and had a wrist surgery last year, but in his one NFL start he rushed for rushed for 86 yards, and caught for another 58.

Snider stands out to me because of this Capers quote:

The second thing that stands out to me is that the Texans may have their SS in Lamont Evans and FS in Kevin Williams. Saftey currently is far and away the most experienced position at this point, with 44 NFL starts between the two.

As far as best NFL pedagree, that has to go to Hicks, a former 3rd round draft choice. He's started in 23 of 38 regular season games, mostly at right tackle, and was even awarded a game ball while playing for Buffalo. Probably the starting right tackle?

Tisdale is true to form for Capers - he really likes larger-sized LB's and Tisdale fits the bill @ 6'6" - 256 Lbs.

Jason Nikolao is interesting, in that in school he split time between DT and DE, @ 6'2" 300 lbs. That would seem to make him attractive if the Texans run a 3-4, as this Capers quote seems to indicate:

Finally, I personaly am intrigued by diminuitive CB Marlboro thought he may be a bit of a runt, he's known as a good man-to-man defender, generaly agressive player, and a definate over achiever. I think he could make a pretty nice nickleback or dimeback.

I'm also betting on Jeremiah Trotter as a 'big name' free agent signee. A former 3rd round pick, he's from Texas, went to SFA, signed a 1 year contract, and fits the bill physically @ 6'1" 261. He's the leader of a very good Eagles defense. Caper's 'big name' free agent signings with Carolina skewed heavily towards vetran linebackers, a necessity in a scheme that is very complicated for the LB's

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

ottoman, many props to your research, insight and observations, but... i don't know that i'd put too much stock in the signings. i think there's some merit in a lot of what you say (especially in terms of the type of players they signed and what hints it might give into possible philosophy), but the 13 players signed to this point are probably going to be practice squad/special teams fodder in a best case scenario, and casserly is the one saying that, not me.

re: specific players, a bills fans contacted us about hicks and said if they can get him to focus (he apparently lacks motivation), he could start (he has the talent). but, again, according to the fan, it's a big if. and it does make you wonder what he was doing out of work if he has the talent to start in the nfl... (in fact, all of these guys were out of work for a reason.)

evans, iirc, was drafted by, and played for casserly in WAS. the redskin fan we spoke with said he was happy to see him go... damn, they had a nickname for him, like toll booth, or... not real flattering, whatever it was.

my own personal observations (fwiw): williams will, at the very least, see playing time in nickel and/or dime packages; basnight will probably make the team, though opening day starter might be a stretch (having said that, casserly places next to no priority on finding a top-flight RB, so it's not unfathomable); tisdale has size and speed and will probably, at the very least, be a demon on special teams; snider will make the team, wisne will make the team (you can't teach that kind of size). the rest are probably fringe players.

trotter would be a TREEEEEEEmendous signing, but i've read phildaelphia has plenty of cap room and that trotter's their #1 priority. here's hoping he's home sick... giants' starting safety shaun williams will be a free agent. behind trotter, in terms of age and upside, he's probably the second best defender that'll be out there (off the top of my head).

kevin hardy's a real possibility, in fact, hardy, brakens and gary walker might ALL be available (all former caper-ites in JAX). offensively, tarik glenn might be out there -- he's young, plus, it wouldn't hurt to steal a division rival's starting LT (a tactic the jags used to perfection early in their career, raiding the steelers' roster). i think glenn's linemate, seth mckinney, will be free, too. in fact, it's possible houston could pick up 2 or 3 OL starters in free agency. james allen in CHI will be a free agent. not sure of his size, but like basnight and moreau, he can catch out of the backfield, and he was their starter last year.

and, of course, dilfer will be free, and i guarantee you he'll be signed if they draft carr. but overall, we've heard the free agency market will be decidedly devoid of impact players, one of the worst crops ever.

great work, tho; enjoyed reading your thoughts.

3. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Yah, afterwords I realised that I was probably 'a bit over the top'. I still, however, see the Basnight as the big contributer.

He's avalable mostly because he's had reoccuring hand problems for the past two years. He was a guy that intrigued alot of people excited comming out of college, and his playing time was limited behind Dillon.

Intresting note: Winse was listed when drafted @ 6'4" 290ish. Size inflation, or has he really grown that much in two years? Tisdale's also gained two inches, and Jim Jones, listed at 6'3" didn't attend the combine, even though he was a marginal prospect, making me think he might be closer to 6'1".

The Texans' web site has a listing of this summer's free agents by position here. One thing in looking at that list is on the O-line there are remarkably few right tackles listed.

I would say, looking at the list, that the FA class is loaded with good young linemen. Olin Kreutz is a 3rd year stud at center, with 2 other young centers out there with experience in Kevin Long, Jeremy Newberry. Meanwhile @ left tackle, you have a couple of young monsters in Flozell Adams and Tarik Glen, and a solid young overachiever in Jason Fabini.

The other guy who might fit in well would be Reinard Wilson. He's never been quite good enough against the run to be a every down end, and he doesn't quite have the skills to be an every down LB in a 4-3. A in a 3-4, however, he could slide in as an OLB and rush the passer, and his open field deficencies would be diminished.

4. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

Brackens is staying a Jaguar so is Gary Walker
    Hardy wont be

and Trotter is asking for i think 8 Mill a season(yes,more than Ray lewis) so Philly wont sign him, but will Slap the franchise tag on him

Either Jason Gildon or Earl Holmes is gone from Steelers for sure

5. Summer Song Giver

Has it bacome an accepted practice among players to sign with expansion teams? I doubt most of these guys especially the top flight players like Trotter would want to come here. Either way it will be great to have football back in The Bayou City even if it means we will have to take our lumps all over again ( lord knows the Oilers doled out enough of those over the years). As for the QB situation none of the rookies are can't miss in my book but getting one in the second if there's one there and getting Dilfer to start till he's ready would be the best course of action IMHO.

6. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

It looks like Dilfer might not be available, but Watters might be.

http://sports.excite.com/news/01092002/v6741.html

Dilfer might get chance at starting QB job

Jan 9, 2002 3:43 AM (EST)
    By JIM COUR

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) - Trent Dilfer has won his last 15 games as a starting quarterback, and he might also get a chance to win the starting job in Seattle.

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said Tuesday that he's thinking about offering Dilfer, an eight-year veteran who led Baltimore to a Super Bowl victory last season, a new contract and an opportunity to take Matt Hasselbeck's starting job away.

"I've got to give that some more thought," Holmgren said Tuesday, a day after his team's season was ended when the Ravens grabbed the AFC's final playoff berth. "That's the decision. I might even have to go on vacation for a little while."

Hasselbeck, 26, was Seattle's starter this season, but Dilfer had a better season. The Seahawks were 4-0 when Dilfer started in place of an injured Hasselbeck, while they were 5-7 with Hasselbeck.

Signed as a free agent in August to be Hasselbeck's backup, the 29-year-old Dilfer will be a free agent after the NFL season. He led the Seahawks to victories over San Diego and Kansas City in their final two games as the team finished 9-7.

"I'm going to talk to both quarterbacks," Holmgren said at his postseason news conference. "I'm going to let the dust settle just a little bit. I know what Trent wants. So it's something I have to decide. I have not decided yet."

Acquired in a trade in March from Green Bay to be Seattle's starter, Hasselbeck finished the season with a separated left shoulder after missing two earlier starts with a pulled groin. Hasselbeck said Tuesday that he wouldn't have been able to start if the Seahawks made the playoffs.

Holmgren said he was concerned about Hasselbeck's durability and the two injuries he had this season.

"One of Matt's offseason challenges will be in the weight room and putting on a few pounds," Holmgren said.

Dilfer signed with the Ravens as a free agent last season as Tony Banks' backup after starting for six seasons in Tampa Bay. He would like to be a starter again.

"I would like to play," he said. "I've made that very clear that I would like to play full time next year. I want to play and I want to be able to lead a team and do the things for 16 weeks that it takes. That's something I'm looking at. We'll see what situation presents itself."

Hasselbeck expects to be the starter in Seattle next season.

"My mindset is that I am the guy and I need to approach things that way," he said. "But I know full well if I don't play well, I'm not going to be the guy. It's going to be a huge offseason for me. I need to be ready to go to the first minicamp."

Holmgren steadfastly insisted all season that Hasselbeck was his starter although Dilfer, with the experience of 88 career starts to Hasselbeck's 12, probably gave the Seahawks a better chance to win.

Dilfer played better in his four starts than Hasselbeck did in his 12.

Dilfer had a 92.0 quarterback rating, passed for seven touchdowns and was intercepted four times. Hasselbeck's quarterback rating was 70.9, with seven touchdown passes and eight interceptions - and a 5-7 record. Dilfer was sacked 10 times to Hasselbeck's 38.

After the trade with Green Bay, Holmgren gave Hasselbeck a $24 million, five-year contract.

Although they would like to retain Dilfer, the Seahawks apparently aren't interested in re-signing running back Ricky Watters, whose 11th NFL season was limited to four starts because of injuries.

"My thinking is it's probably time for Shaun to carry the ball," Holmgren said Tuesday, referring to Shaun Alexander, Watters' backup the past two seasons and the team's top draft pick in 2000. "I don't think that comes as a great surprise to most people."

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Suttle's a good hard working player. Not real talented, but a guy who will always give 100% every down. He was in Broncos training camp the past two years and was always one of the last cuts.

8. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

In their first year of being, Caper's Carolina Panthers signed Lamar Lathon, Sam Mills, Darion Conner, Pete Metzelaars, Don Bebe, Dwight Stone, and Brett Maxie.

All of these guys were at least 'above average' and some like Mills and Lathon, were very good, with Mills having been a Pro Bowler in 5 of 9 seasons in New Orleans.

Their second year wasn't bad either, with them signing Steve Beuerlein, Duane Bickett, Eric Davis, Wesley Walls, and Kevin Greene, who'd averaged 12 sacks per year for the previous 8 years.

The Texans will be attractive to free agents because, unlike every other team in the league, they are not near or at the salary cap. They have much more freedom in being able to persue players, because they are not forced to dump half their roster in order to pick them up.

9. Old School

Old School Member

These early signings should not tell you much of anything. The majority of those players won't even make the team. Capers was quoted as saying that 4 of the first 10 signed would be lucky to make the team.

The expansion draft in February should give you a better idea.

OS

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Here's my All-Free Agent Dream Team:

Trent Dilfer, QB
    Antowain Smith, RB
    Bill Schroeder, WR
    Hines Ward, WR
    Byron Chamberlain, TE
    Flozell Adams, LT
    Joe Andruzzi, LG
    Ron Stone, RG*