1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What stops Ming from not going back?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sphere, May 29, 2002.

1. Sphere

Sphere Member

Seriously!
    What if Yao loves Houston and his freedom and loves the US? What is he decides he deosn't want to go back to China? Who is going to make him get on that plane? China has NO jurisdiction here and therefore Ming would be protected. I know it would stir up a mess and Ming's family would probably get hung, but what would MAKE him return? I know he LOVES China and is loyal and I don't anticipate that happening.
    But what if!!!

2. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

I don't think China is that barbaric in terms of hanging Ming's family if Ming decides not to go back. Maybe it will be like the Spy Plane incident except now the roles are reversed and Ming is the plane.

Perhaps we could have another Elian Gonzales incident and can all watch as Federal Agents raid Ming's house where we find Ming hiding in the closet.

3. Sphere

Sphere Member

Perhaps.....that would have to be a big closet to hold a 7'5" man. Maybe Ming will have vaulted ceilings!!

4. tty

tty Member

Nothing can stop him. There allready some chinese sports players, including some olympic gold medalists, live in US. China is more open than what some posters here believes.

The problem is, if Ming refuse the call from CBA to play for chinese national team, then he will take the risk of losing fans in his hometown. That happened before. A chinese player, from the same town as Ming's, immigrated to Japan and played for Japan national team. She said some bad thing about china and fans were outrageous. Actually gov did nothing to her when she went back china, but you can imagine the fan's reaction. She probably will never want to go back. I think nobody like to lose face in his hometown. Playing for national team is kind of honor.

5. ctx

ctx Member

A few years ago, one Chinese National bball player didn't go back China with his team after team china played in States, then this guy played bball for Utah state U. for four years, entered that year's NBA draft and didn't get drafted, he was invited to training camp by LAC and was cut before the season stared. Guess what?this guy now is playing for CBA in China. I think he plays 3 or 2. This guy is great player in China, but he is banned by goverment for being a member of Chinese national bball team, life time.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

LOL! BubbaMac.

"Ming hiding in the closet"...and being dragged out with Les hanging onto his legs like Van Gundy.