1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What software do you guys use?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TraJ, Oct 26, 2000.

1. TraJ

TraJ Member

Office Suites?

Individual pieces: Word Processor, Desktop Publishing, Database, Spreadsheet, etc?

Web page design?

Utilities?

Which media player is the best (most versatile, etc)?

Anything else?

Just curious. Tell why if you have the inclination.

Also, Palm or Pocket PC?

------------------

[This message has been edited by TraJ (edited October 26, 2000).]

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I use Freamweaver for webpages and Fireworks for graphics. I really like the ease of use factor on Dreamweaver and Fireworks works basically like Photoshop, but it was bundled with Dreamweaver when I bought it, so it was considerably cheaper than Photoshop.

I don't really use any other stuff for much of anything. And I don't yet have a Palm or anything. I can't figure out why I'd need one.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

3. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I use mostly Frontpage 2K and Photoshop 6.0 for web design. I have messed with Dreamweaver and Fireworks at times but never really got into it. BTW (By the way), I made a webpage for my upcoming website the other day. If you'd like to see it, go to www.seekasia.com/TeenWeb/teenweb2k.htm It's still in the development stages right now. If you have any suggestions go right on ahead.

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

4. AhPook

AhPook Member

We use Office 2000 at work, but at home the general PC load (Word 97, Works something.0) is more software than I bother to use.

Quark XPress is far and away the best DP application, but I don't know if they have it for PC. PageMaker is fine too for PC. Neither app has any canned stuff for creating your club newsletter or anything, so you actually have to learn how to use the apps, but the benefit is that you have more freedom in your design.

I use HomeSite for web design. I was never much into Dreamweaver ... people say that it's so much faster, but I find that it's a lot easier for me to type out the HTML than it is to figure out where all the buttons and menu options are to insert tables, graphics etc. It's also faster for me to write javascript than have it done for me. Once a site is created though, editing is probably a lot easier in Dreamweaver.

Not a big utilities user. I think Diskkeeper, Winzip and WS FTP are about the only utilities I use.

Palm. I love it. You can download just about anything to your palm.

------------------
    Brought to you by the letter M.

5. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Offices

Microsoft Office 2000 Pro.

Word Processor

Microsoft Word 2000

Databases

MS Access 2000
    MS SQL Server 7
    Oracle 8

Spreadsheets

Microsoft Excel 2000

Web Page Design

Notepad
    FrontPage 2000
    NetObjects ScriptBuilder (when it gets here tomorrow)
    I've used JBuilder and Visual Cafe in the past, but just to play around with
    Macromedia Flash (just dabble in it)
    Adobe Photoshop
    Corel Photopaint

Utilities
    Umm... pretty general term, but... from looking at my Start -> Programs menu [​IMG] :

AVP Antivirus
    Adaptec Easy CD Creator
    Copernic 2000 Plus
    Fix-It Utilities
    McAfee Antivirus
    Micropanet Gravity
    Microsoft Money
    Microsoft Office
    mIRC
    Motherboard Monitor
    Napster
    Norton Antivirus