1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What Rockets loss stings you to this day?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Nov 28, 2017.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

figured I'd channel some inner demons today. Was watching the Jazz vs Rockets game 7and that loss still kills me. Not even Lillard or last years game 5 against San Antonio upset me like this one does. I still hate Carlos Boozer. That's one guy who I am truly happy his basketball career went south. I cringe at that whole roster: D Will, Okur, Kirilenko, Harpring, shiny bald headed weak point guard who needed Kobe to win 3 rings and did Matt Barnes wrong.
    It was Cinco de Mayo, I had my confirmation that day but honestly all I could think about was game 7. I was ready for us to play the Warriors the next round. Had finally gotten completely over that stupid rigged Mavs series and I just felt it that this was our series to win. Couldnt grab a defensive rebound to save our lives and when Kirilenko threw it out of bounds but they called it on Battier. F that 2007 series forever.

brings me to my point, which loss hurts you to this day? One loss you cant even watch the highlights off?

Caesar and The Greyhound 33 like this.
  2. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

1997 Stockton three robbed us of Hakeem vs MJ

3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Probably G2 of the '15 WCF... lost on the final possession of the game after a dazzling performance from Harden (38-10-9) and a double-double from Dwight on a torn MCL. Not to mention, it took place right after a crushing defeat in G1.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The Lakers loss stings but more in a "wow if Yao was healthy" way. With a healthy Yao we beat that Lakers team in, heck we could've still won if Kobe knew how to miss vs Battier/Artest. No way Carmelo abuses those 2 like Kobe did in that series. As for the finals, IIRC Yao always did very well vs Dwight.

Plowman and ElDobleK like this.
  5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Kind of a random one, but G5 vs Dallas in 2005 still makes my blood boil.

6. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Gm 6 2017

LCAhmed likes this.
  7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

to be fair I still think that Mavs team was better than ours but still without a doubt a complete robbery. That 40 point blowout never happened IMO

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

best Rockets team in a while. 2009 would have been the perfect year had we won it. Man that hurts.

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The players on that team were exactly the kind of players you fall in love with as a fan.

Landry, Hayes, AB, Battier, Artest, Yao, Dikembe, Scola etc

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Von WAFER

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As much as I hated that play, we were down 2-3 and game was tied. It robbed us of going to overtime in Game 6. And if we win, we go to Utah for Game 7....where they won all three games, so far.

Caesar, seeingredtx and Mr. Clutch like this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lillard game winning 3 in 2014

Reeko, seeingredtx and yoeddy like this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I hate the "we were so close what could'a been" losses

2015 WCF G2 loss to GSW
    1997 WCF G6 loss to Utah

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There was another Jazz series where we took them to 5 (we were seeded 8th) and looked like we could pull it off, then Barkley got hurt.

Back then, being down 2-3 didn't mean **** to us as a fanbase. We'd been coming back from behind and Heart-of-a-Championing our way to all kinds of crazy victories.

16. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Also, Brandon Roy drilling a fall-away three with 0.8 seconds left in OT, right after Yao hit a clutch jumper to put us up, in 2008. It was the prequel to Lillard's shot. Stupid Blazers.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

that was the closest we could have gotten to a championship until this day
    OT at home, game 7 with momentum, Hakeem, Barkley, Drexler, Elie, E Johnson

what even happened to Heart of a Champion?

what loss did you hate the most?

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Lillard in 2014 changed the way I view nba basketball

yoeddy likes this.
  19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

It hurt that harden didnt even get a shot up to win that game. It was a furious late rally

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Those are injuries that sting. They suck, but there's nothing you can do about it. As for Rockets losses that frustrate me, some that come to mind are:

1993 - Rockets vs Sonics Game 7 - They got screwed on a few out-of-bounds calls late and then Ricky Pierce hit a tough shot to tie it and send it to OT where Seattle prevailed. If the Rockets win that game, they face Phoenix who they always got the best of and then we might've had that elusive Bulls-Rockets Finals matchup. Really though, the more frustrating loss that season wasn't Game 7 to Seattle. It was the 2nd to last game of the regular season at home against the 11-71 Mavs. The Rockets p-ssed that one away(they'd even won 11 in a row heading into that game) and then lost the next night at San Antonio on that infamous Robinson dunk after the buzzer. If they just beat a sh-tty Dallas team at the Summit, then Game 7 vs Seattle is on their home floor.

2005 - Rockets vs Dallas Game 3 - The Rockets had the Mavs reeling with a 2-0 lead coming home and T-Mac ripping their hearts out with that game-winner in Game 2. And with a 10-point lead in the 3rd quarter, they seemed well on their way to a commanding 3-0 lead. Instead they let Dallas back in the game, the Mavs stole the win and the momentum, and the series was never the same after that. Yes, the refs were targeting Yao. Yes, Game 5 was also infuriating with the blown out-of-bounds call on Finley. But they had a stranglehold on this series and let it get away.

2007 - Rockets vs Jazz Game 7 - The Rockets dug themselves a deep hole(I think 16 points) in the first half. By the time they recovered to take a 5-point lead in the 4th, T-Mac and the others had nothing left in the tank. There's a reason the Rockets couldn't grab a defensive board in the final 2 minutes which wound up costing them the game and the series. A really infuriating loss given that the 8th seed Warriors were awaiting in the 2nd round. Had the Rockets shown up in the first half and won that game, they almost certainly get to the Western Conference Finals and face the Spurs. I doubt they beat San Antonio, but if by some miracle they had, the Cavs with a 22 year old LeBron would've been a cakewalk in the Finals. One of the biggest wasted opportunities in franchise history.

2014 - Rockets vs Blazers Game 1 - One of the other most notorious wasted opportunities in franchise history. I know everyone will gravitate towards Game 6 and the infamous Lillard wide open buzzer beater, but this is truly where the Rockets lost the series. Up by 10 late in the 4th and Stotts out of desperation went to Hack-a-Dwight. But it worked since Howard was so worthless at the foul line and couldn't make a single free throw which led to McFail panicking and pulling him out of the game. The Blazers quickly tied it up and then before we knew it, we were in OT where Portland stole away home court advantage. Again just like with 2007, I don't know if the Rockets defeat the Spurs had they advanced. But they never even gave themselves a chance to find out.

1997 - Rockets vs Sonics Game 5 - A seemingly obscure loss, but a very costly one. The Rockets had Seattle on the ropes after taking both Game 3 and 4 on the road(including a thrilling OT win in Game 4). Up 3-1, they had a chance to close out the Sonics at home and instead got badly outplayed. Seattle deserves credit for some of the best D I ever saw them play, but their intensity was about 1000 times greater than the Rockets' that night. By blowing this opportunity, the Rockets were forced to go to Game 7 before they finally finished off the Sonics. Meanwhile, Utah was resting after dispatching the Lakers in 5. Had the Rockets won Game 5, they wouldn't have been worn down heading into Games 1 and 2 in Salt Lake City(both of which they lost) and that series might've gone very differently.