1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What rappers do you's like?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Miggidy Markell, Aug 13, 2000.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I enjoyed early 90s rap music the most. Anyway my favs are (in no particular order):

- Dr. Dre (especially his first album)
    - Snoop (awesome when he released his album Doggystyle], now he's just "OK")
    - 2 Pac
    - A Tribe Called Quest (too bad the group broke up)
    - De La Soul
    - The Pharcyde (underrated group IMO)
    - DMX
    - Bone Thugs & Harmony (they were at their best during their first 2 albums, now they've mellowed down and I don't like that [​IMG])
    - Juvenile and Lil' Wayne
    - Nas
    - Rakim
    - Jay-Z
    - Ice Cube
    - DJ Quik
    - LL Cool J

I used to like No Limit, now I can't stand 'em. I also dislike Puff Daddy's music even though his music videos are decent.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cold Hard (edited August 29, 2000).]

2. Hydra

Hydra Member

I like Professor Murder [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm sticking with Charlotte. I can't flip because I don't want to be confused with Peter Vecsey.
    -- Charles Barkley

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The greatest of all time (other than Ali) was Tupac. I'm not sure how much of his stuff was written by him, but unlike so much crap out today a lot of his works actually had meaning. His music is among the few I actually pay attention to the words.

As for Biggie, I don't get what people see in him. He couldn't rap worth squat. Sounds illiterate and overweight. Everytime I heard him rap, all I could think of was "What the hell is he babblin' about?".

I like DMX, but if you want to hear somebody that basically is trying to steal Tupac's style, go to cdnow.com and listen to L'il Zane's Callin' Me. His style is such a rip of Pac, it's sad.

Anyway... my faves of all time in no particular order :

Tupac, Run DMC, Tribe Called Quest, Cash Money (the entire label, [​IMG]), Ruff Ryders, Snoop Doggy Dog, NWA (and most of their individual artists), several No Limit artists including Master P, Beastie Boys, Scarface/Willie D, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Jay-Z's ok, etc.

I know I'm forgetting somebody, but there ya go...

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited September 14, 2000).]

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

*. Method Man - Far and away the best. His word play is amazing. I like everyone from Wu Tang.
    *. 2pac - I do have to admit he has an excellent voice, but he is an idiot. This is the man who started all of the Eastside vs. Westside rivalry.
    *. Raekwon
    *. Rakim
    *. Timbaland - Even though some of its computer generated, he has the best voice in the rap industry.
    *. Notorious BIG
    *. All of Gangstarr
    *. The Lox, especially Jadakiss.
    *. Fat Joe

I can't stand "Cashy Money" or "No Limit". Eminem is unbearable.

------------------
    Mo money, Mo problems...

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited September 14, 2000).]

5. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

i like the Ruff Ryders...especially X, Kiss, and DRAG-ON [​IMG], but i've been all about the WU since they've come out...they're gonna take over again in November...

-Cash Money, LL (just bought the new album today), Nas, Dre, Eminem, Biggie, Pac, Noreaga, and a bunch more that i can't think of right now

------------------

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

CABBAGE

YOU DON'T LIKE THAT NEW MYSTIKAL

Shake it Fast . . SHOW ME WHAT YA WORKING WITH

Mystikal is the most talent person
    in No Limit. . .unfortunately that ain't
    saying much . .

[On could argue for Mia X]

Rocket River

------------------

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

And I thought Cabbage was a grouchy old white dude.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

8. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Cabbage--

Why do you think 'Pac was an idiot? The Eastside vs Westside rivalry SOLD RECORDS, and a hell of a lot of them. It may have gotten out of control, but it made him the artist he is (or was? [​IMG]), IMHO.

Oh, by the way, right on DoD. I see people jock Pac's style all the time.

However, many of you diehard Pac fans (like me) remember the Outlawz. But now, they aren't putting out ANYTHING decent and all they do is defend Pac. Get over it! Loyalty is one thing, but riding someone else's fame is another....

------------------
    Jazzkiller

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I like some of Mia X's stuff, but Mystical gives me a migraine just listening to him. How anybody can rap like that without having an aneurism is beyond me.

And all you guys dissin' No Limit, do you guys not like Snoop either? He's a part of No Limit, too. I've always liked his laid-back flow.

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited September 15, 2000).]

10. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Nelly is the best rapper today.

------------------
    "You look a team that's been to the mountaintop like the Houston Rockets, I'm going to put pressure on myself to be the best possible player that I can be. With the pieces they already have in place and myself, we can do some amazing things next season."

Maurice Taylor

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

"Back in the day, when I was young. I'm not a kid anymore..."

I used to listen to a lot of rap. In the mid 80s I really got into breakin just as it was going out. I remember going to Astroworld and watching the "Break Dance Express".

NWA was my favorite rap group, and still is. Straight Outta Compton is also still my favorite rap album.

I don't remember a lot of the groups names from way back when. Man, that was about 15 years ago....

I also liked: Run DMC (not a huge fan, but liked 'em okay), Public Enemy, Digital Underground (some of their stuff), LL Cool J (some of his stuff), Ice-T (some older stuff), Snoop Dogg (I like his laid back style)

I absolutely hate: Fat ass Joe, didn't like B.I.G., hate Puff Pansy (he's made his whole career milking other great artist's deaths), basically I never have liked the "commercial" or "popular" rap or any music for the most part.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The best rapper alive is Cube. Snoop and Dre are still bad ass, but Cube is the best of a weak bunch.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

13. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

nellys ok, but the whole dre gang is unbeatable, along with tupac, puffy(when biggie and mase were around). there are many east st louis(where nellys from) rappers that are better than he but one thing i like is he is more raw than the rest. after being in the spotlight for so many years dre and snoop dont seem raw anymore.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

GHETTO BOYS [houston's own are FABULOUS]
    Best introspective gansta rap around

I hate Snoop
    and dre ain't done sh*T worth anything
    since chronic [NOT CHONIC 2000]
    but we know that THE D O C wrote
    most of the chronic [He wasbad until he
    lost his voice]

Cube ain't been anything in a while either

Rocket River

------------------

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

VJ,

While I agree with you on Dre, what do you see in Mase, Puffy and Biggie? Reverand Mase is illiterate and sounds like he's on sedatives when he raps (not a good combo). Puffy like somebody else says needs somebody else to do background vocals or somebody to die before he can get a hit, and Biggie was a very large man and that was his greatest skill.

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember when the D.O.C. first made it public around a decade ago I thought the group would be the next NWA. Then they suddenly disappeared. I always wondered what happened to them.

It's the diggy diggy diggy diggy Doctah, the Doctah...

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

well, i actaully think puffy, mase, are pretty good. yes, they are kinda odd, but for some reason i like their kind of rap, they always have a good beat.