1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What players in the 2016 draft would you trade Capela for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. basketballholic

1. What players in the 2016 draft would you trade Capela for?

2. What is the highest pick in the draft that a team would trade for Capela?

2. omgTHEpotential

Capela has proved that he can already be a very serviceable C in this league, albeit with some obvious flaws (FT shooting, IQ). The draft prospects on the other hand, haven't proved anything at the NBA level. I think he could net us a top15 pick, at the very least.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Stop kicking cans and go to bed

1 person likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Domantis Sabonis.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Unless he would net a top 5 pick (which I highly doubt) or something I wouldn't trade him, the risk of trading Capela who is a productive player with potential for a bust is one I wouldn't take with the Rockets right now.

Simmons or Ingram are the only sure fire players is feel totally comfortable packaging Capela for, i haven't followed this draft much but outside of the top 2 is a big drop off in talent I believe.

From the few players iv looked into I like Kormaz and Luwawu, wouldnt trade Capela for either. Maybe for both(two mid first).

I feel like Capela would net a pick in the 15-10 range based off of value, but not sure what teams hold those picks and if they have a need at center or not.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

How about Kris Dunn.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Clint Capela (as is) were in the draft, he'd be a top 5 pick. He turned 22 a couple of weeks ago having played basically one regular season. As a bonus he has played 4 playoff series (including 2 against the Warriors), he's been advised by Olajuwon, coached by McHale, practiced against Dwight, in an organization with extremely rich big man culture. He's incredibly likely to add strength to his frame, his athleticism is PERFECT for today's NBA, and if the game slows down for him and he practices his FT's we'll be pleasantly surprised. I have my fingers crossed.

However, the top 5 picks in the draft have higher ceilings albeit some of them with a lower likelihood of getting to their ceiling (you know at least some of what you have in Capela). Obviously you would trade Capela for a top 3 pick, but no GM would even entertain that phone call, including Morey.

I'd trade him for a top 8, maybe a top 10 pick and that's to re-package the pick with our 2nd rounders and Brewer for a very very good veteran. We don't have time for can-kicking. We have Harden for only 2 more guaranteed seasons, these types of players don't come along very often.

Capela has fantastic potential as a 5 in this league for the next 10 years, and probably a full blown starter from 2017 onwards. We're going to have to accept some rough patches this coming season, though I can see D'Antoni's offense benefitting him a lot. Unless someone is calling us about Capela, we'd be total morons to be spending any time on finding a Capela trade.

1 person likes this.
  8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

People wanna trade Clint they already forgot how good a defender inside and on the perimeter he is. People sleepin on him

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

What is Capela's future?

This is from February so his opinion may have changed but Clutch said he would consider selling high.

Is he supplanting Dwight [on a full-time basis]? All the talk of Horford & Whiteside & Noah & others...are you looking for a starting center? Or are you looking for someone to split time with Capela [like say a Mahinmi or Aldrich or Pachulia]?

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Tyson Chandler & DeAndre Jordan didnt play 30 mpg and average double-digit rebounds until their SIXTH YEAR in the league.

Capela wont reach their potential probably, though he could be a notch below which is plenty servicable in today's NBA. Gotta give him a little more time though. Centers dont really need a high IQ to be contributors (Lets not pretend that Dwight Howard, D Jordan, Whiteside or Drummond are the cerebral types). Its not that Capela is a super keeper, its actually who ELSE is a reasonable alternative at the 5 position? And who in the draft will be a sure contributor and wont Sam Dekker it out his 1st year?

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'd trade him for the #2 pick.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think Capela can yield us anything more than the 20th pick, even in this relatively weak draft. He needs to work extremely hard over this off season. If he doesn't, he might be out of the league in 2-3 years.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Funny how opinions differ so widely on Capela.

"He's Christ."

"He's crap."

Having already lost two years on his rookie deal, but on the other hand, some decent team liking what they see and thinking he can be (if I may quote Dwight) "better"? I'd vote for a pick between #9 (if Toronto can't afford to keep Bismack Biyombo; being Swiss, Capela might not mind the move, due to the city's international flavor) and #15.

Otherwise, you don't even entertain the idea. Not a very deep draft, although Morey would not want the pick to keep but to trade.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

With all due respect, this is fantasy. The guy can't shoot and is too damn skinny to bang with the 5s. He also has a narrow frame and isn't likely to "fill out" as some other skinny guys have.

15. basketballholic

Interesting question. I, personally, would not do that. I would, however, trade Capela and even include another asset to get Jamal Murray.

16. GottaHaveHeart

you don't trade him. Period!!! Dude has crazy upside

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That's what people said about Terrence Jones when he started 71 games as a 2nd year player.

18. basketballholic

It's dangerous when Carl and I agree.

19. basketballholic

Players in this draft I'd trade Capella for: Simmons, Ingram, Murray, Qi.

If I could get a top 15 pick for him and Murray was still on the board at #6 I'd offer the pick plus another asset to get him.

If I couldn't get Murray but Qi was still on the board at the pick number I could get for Capela then I'd make that trade too.

20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Terrance jones proved that his upside was extremely limited in the first 10 games of that season. He hadn't improved as a rebounder or defender in every college season and his rookie season, there was no reason to believe he'd improve further. History shows us that this was true.

There isn't a season Capella has had where he hasn't improved. Totally different players in totally different situations.

Then again, until his back injury, DMo had also improved every year. You never truly know, but we can at least maximize our chances.