1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What player improvements/regressions have you noticed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

So more than 50 games into the season, what improvements/regressions have you noticed out of our players?

My take so far on the main rotation players:

Patrick Beverly
    - Better at attacking the basket
    - Regressed as a shooter (Slump? Injury?)
    - Defense and hustle seem the same

Overall: I like his intensity and hustle as a player. Offensively, he makes some dumb mistakes, but he's young and learning. I may get some heat for this, but I think his defense isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be (Elite etc etc.) He tends to make some dumb mistakes (fouls, bad gambling on steals, rotations)

James Harden
    - This might be debatable, but I think his defense has been better this season. He's putting in more effort, but he is still limited by bad fundamentals.
    - He's been shooting poorly from 3 this season, but I expect it to improve by seasons end. (He was shooting just as poor start of last year)
    - His decision making seems to be getting better and better. He still seems to force it too much instead of just relying on teammates.
    - His mid-range game seems much improved. Still not the level you want it to be for him, but the improvement is a great sign of optimism on that end.
    - Still isolates the ball way too much, but is somewhat better at it
    - Clutcher?

Overall: His stats are down across the board, but I think he has shown some progression in the areas we want in a player. His decision making will improve over time. He's still learning what he can and can't do.I believe he can be that true superstar player we always hoped he can be next season.

Chandler Parsons
    - His ball handing has improved way more then I ever expected it.
    - He attacks the basket a lot better then last season.
    - Mid range game has improved
    - His defense IMO has regressed. His on ball defense has been solid (was borderline elite IMO rookie year), but his team defense is getting worse.

Overall: It's the same story since his rookie season. He's improved offensively beyond what any of us could've expected (His TS% almost at 60% now). If his defense goes back to rookie season level, he will be that third star on this team.

Terrence Jones
    - Wow
    - He has improved in every single facet of his game, except for outside shooting since last year.
    - I've read reports of a much more improved work ethic this off-season. Hopefully this new found work ethic stays and blossoms even more.

Overall: I have very very high expectations for him. I may be a homer, but I see stardom in this guy's future (actual all-star berth will be very tough though with Davis and Cousins out there). He has all the makeup you want to see in a star PF (gets to the line decently, finishes very well, rebounds, blocks shots). His biggest need of improvement is an outside shot and continued improvement in help defense. If he can develop those two things, he is a true star.

Dwight Howard
    - His post moves are much better then what I was led to believe. It's still very robotic, but it gets the job done.
    - Free throw shooting is better (Albeit he had a bad stretch in January)
    - He's everything I hoped for on defense. He's not getting the shot blocking numbers he's accustomed to, but his impact as a help defender is still elite nonetheless.
    - Healthier and more athletic then last season

Overall: He's the best player on this team for me. He has had some bad moments in the post early on, but has been on a roll as the rest of the teams have been adjusting their games to help Howard.

Jeremy Lin
    - His efficiency has skyrocketed this season. (53.8% TS last season to 58.8% this season.
    - He's shooting basically the same from three last season, but I think it will get better as the season goes along. His form looks improved.
    - Defense has been somewhat suspect throughout the season, but has had lots of great moments against some good point guards (Tony Parker, Jrue Holiday, etc.)

Overall: He's still adjusting to his new role as a sixth man. His 3 point shooting and defensive consistency is the biggest problem with him (Hell you can say that about half the team). Regardless of the views of the LOF, this new role has helped him become more efficient as a player.

Francisco Garcia
    - Regressed in almost every single way so far this season

Overall: If he played anywhere like he did last season, he would've been a good signing. But he's shooting atrociously for his role on this team (Maybe because of that knee injury he was playing through?)

Omri Casspi
    - He's having his best year in terms of efficiency (TS% wise)

Overall: I haven't cared to pay attention to him last season to judge his improvements. He's an OK piece coming off the bench, but for what the Rockets had to offer for FA it's a solid signing.

Donatas Motiejunas
    - Much improved help defender
    - His man defense is still suspect, but he's young
    - Shooting hasn't improved much
    - Rocket's don't use him in the post enough to judge if he's improved or not

Overall: I like him as the backup power forward, not the center.

Omer Asik
    - Lol

4 people like this.
  2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

very inconsistent team to say if players have straight up regressed or improved.

but i guess tjones against weaker opponents has defended okay, but i still worry against anyone who has a post game against him, his offence speaks for itself ATM, however perhaps playing dwight has allowed him to get alot more space and the oppositions have focused on boxing out dwight that tjones stats maybe are inflated.

3. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

DMo has shown flashes but he still has a looong way to go.

Jones is looking like a top 5 pick in the 2012 draft.

Howard is getting his beast mode on.

Asik jumped off a cliff.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Garcia is at the age where injuries and Father Time have a good chance of causing a significant regression.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Very good analysis, I can't find much to disagree with. Lin is inconsistent. Some games he looks really zoned in and others he seems like he is in a fog. Hard to explain. Other times he starts in a fog and then comes around. Goes from tentative to aggressive in the same game. I can't figure him out.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No Aaron Brooks? Hard to compare to last season since he didn't play much for the Rockets, but compare to his the past few seasons playing for other teams, he gain back his shooting touch, seems to be as fast as ever, same great handle, maybe a bit better defensively.

2 people like this.
  7. SeabrookMiglla

I agree with a lot of your post. I think that tjones has really been carrying this team, and he brings it night in and night out. Hes consistent, thats something to be prized. Overall the team is getting better i feel.

One huge regression: free throws

Those freethrow points stack up, and it makes you wonder how many games didnt have to be as close as they were.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rep for you. Aaron is very underrated.

9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

thanks for the analysis, helps for us people that don't have CSN and survive on just highlights.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I knew I forgot somebody important

11. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

one question though: Do they ever run plays strictly for Jones? Seen some great highlights of him making moves or nice passes, but sometimes hard to tell if the play was designed to get him a touch or he was a secondary option.

12. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Stream?

13. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

He's usually a dump off for Jeremy Lin.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The whole team in three point shooting has regressed.

Defense as a whole is slightly above last year's.

Our record improved against the Spurs.

Record has regressed against other teams.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Occasionally. He'll sometimes get the ball in the paint on a dish from one of the guards(Lin had a great feed to him last night). He gets a ton of points in transition. And once in a while, he'll camp out on the perimeter and knock down an outside shot.

But they don't really run specific post-up plays for him since Dwight and even James now are getting those called for them. T-Jones is really more of a garbage points kind of player. He reminds me a little of Ced Ceballos in the way he can score 15-20 points so easily without ever needing a play drawn up for him.

16. buddyboy

buddyboy Member

I thought DMo's 1-on-1 defense was not bad at all, it's his help defense that's sub-par. His man defense particularly shines against bigger guys (despite the stigma that he's soft)

1 person likes this.
  17. j3i

j3i Member

Sometimes it will look like they drew up the play for him. But usually it's because our offense is "read and react" and he just happens to get a mismatch alone on one side of the court after a handoff or pnr.

18. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

These players are too young to regress. Garcia is the exception. Still got to give him credit for sticking with the Rockets when he had better offers because he believed in the team.

19. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

Pretty accurate description.... Although I've never had a problem with an occasional mistake out of being aggressive. If Bevs can stay out of foul trouble, he'll be fine.

Harden's defense seems to have improved greatly in the past month.... I think Harden's problem late in games is the other players think he's going to ISO, and stop moving away from the ball.... I don't think it's a Harden thing as much as a "trust" thing..... He's gotten double digit assists, I don't think he's the "ball hog" some have accused him of being. (I think Harden always had a good midrange game... The coaches are now letting him utilize it.)

Parsons is the best on the team at finding seams in the defense. His regression on defense is very similar to Lin's regression on defense. I don't think the coaches are doing a good job in regard to handling screens. (Could be because we set so few of them.)

The guy has natural intelligence in regard to picking up the game. What amazes me with TJones is he's become a very versatile player. He's going to be a solid starter for years to come, and maybe make a few All-Star teams.

Dwight has been a pleasant surprise... I was opposed to acquiring him, mainly because I was big on Omer Asik, and thought it wouldn't be much of an upgrade.... But Dwight has returned to his Orlando form, and seems to have worked very hard on improving his FT shooting..... Unlike last season, where the Rox stole a game from the Lakers playing "Hack-a-Dwight", the tactic this season has not worked once. Not once. Bravo.

Several weeks ago, I thought Jeremy Lin's confidence was so shot, I thought he'd have a hard time getting another decent game with this team/coaches, and had to be traded as soon as possible. Jeremy has proven me wrong. His will should never be underestimated.

The most encouraging thing about Lin is McHale and company now seem to trust him late in games, even when he plays poorly earlier on. This could be huge. Lin's number one asset is making plays when it really matters.

The big negative with Lin is his defense has regressed. I don't know if he's getting bad advice from the coaches, but I once thought he was borderline elite as a defender.... It seems like Jeremy has been declawed as a defender. I'd personally rather see him try to create havoc and risking an open three by his jumping into the paint than play passive off the ball, often caught in no-man's land. Lin was once at the top of the league in steals.... But not anymore.

I think father time might be taking over.... Not everybody is Ray Allen, when it comes to conditioning.

When he was in Cleveland, he was mainly a rebounder and spot shooter.... With the Rox, his all-around game has surfaced. If he can get stronger physically, he could really become something special.

DMo's footwork has VASTLY improved.... I do think he might have a deadly midrange jumper, if only the system would let him use it.... That would just open up the pick-and-roll options with him. He has gotten a lot stronger physically, and it's making a world of difference.

I was once a HUGE Asik fan.... I just hope he hasn't become "Royce White Lite"............

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Not really going to evaluate Harden until after the all-star break.

He has played with injuries the entire season so far, especially with his foot and ankle.

His 3 point percentage is steadily increasing however, along with his FG%, so that's a good sign.