1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What makes Stan Van Gundy better than Rick Adelman?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Apr 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Anyone know?

For those who don't know (or just conveniently ignore), in his first year as coach, his "rebuilding team" was 42-40. That team included Odom, Wade, and Caron Butler (ages 24, 22, 23). Stan played Eddie Jones (age 32) 37 minutes a game for 81 games, Rafer Alson (age 27) 32 minutes a game for 82 games, and Brian Grant (age 31) 30 minutes a game for 76 games (way more minutes than Udonis Haslem, age 23).

You might notice that this team had a lot more talent than the Rockets this year, who happened to win more games than Stan's team did.

This is also when SVG was at his YOUNGEST and HUNGRIEST.

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Who the hell said SVG is better than Adelman?

3. Houston_Rockets

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Are you asking what makes him better, or what does he do better as a coach?

He holds people more accountable on the defensive end. On the flip side, his constant screaming may wear thin on players, whereas Adelman's calm demeanor made him a favorite amongst his players.

5. TheFreak

The Rockets are reportedly interested in him, so they must think he's better for the job than Rick. Simple question.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

That man standing next to me in that pic three above.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

Dam cant edit.

8. durvasa

I think the Rockets are intending to make big changes in the roster, and Adelman was not on board with that. A new coach, less accustomed to the existing players and looking for a different mix of players to suit his style, may be more ok with it.

9. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is not necessarily true. He my just be different from Adelman. Morey himself has already said this is not about better coach than better fit for a different building plan.

Anyway, can we respect Adelman's own agency in what is a mutual parting of the ways? I am not seeing any reports that Adelman was just dying to keep this job.

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I don't think he'll get fired and even if he did, Morey wants his guy and SVG doesn't fit that mold. Les would make this hire not Morey.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Does Howard like Stan? If he is considering Houston, it oculd be worthwihle to try to woo him w/ van gundy.

12. durvasa

Best way to attract Dwight Howard was to go after Deron Williams, which is what the Rockets were doing at the trade deadline. I don't think a coach will make a difference if the roster isn't attractive.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

This just wouldn't make any sense. If anything I would think Stan Van Gundy would be even more of a curmudgeon that Rick Adelman in regards to analytics, developing players, etc.

If this lateral move happens, it would lead me to believe that Les was behind all of this more than Morey.

14. TheFreak

Let's look at Mike Brown (a Pop assistant just like Budenholzer) when he was YOUNG and HUNGRY in his 1st year:

Big Z - 30 yo, 29 mpg
    Larry Hughes - 27 yo, 36 mpg
    Donyell Marshall - 32 yo, 26 mpg
    Damon Jones - 29 yo, 26 mpg
    Eric Snow - 32 yo, 29 mpg

It seems the YOUNG and HUNGRY coaches also like the fat and happy vets. Even Brad Miller only played 17 mpg for the Rockets.

15. rolandvpro

rolandvpro Member

What makes Stan Van Gundy better than Rick Adelman? Stan would eat 10 racks of ribs in one sitting before game... and Rick would fall asleep watching him, and Jeff would only drink a six pack of coke during the game with no food. this is confusing but Stan eating bbq ribs gotta be the best choice but i am not sure. maybe someone can out do him by eating 10lbs of brisket?

16. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

have no clue why svg is better than jvg.

17. rolandvpro

rolandvpro Member

look one post up you got the answer

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

what makes stan better than adelman? nothing. but its a moot point anyway considering that adelman is already gone and stan still has a job elsewhere.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

One reason I think this line of thought has merit is that SVG, allegedly, was the one NBA coach at the NBA Analytics/Numerology/Phrenology conference that Morey is so fond of.

I've read that in another thread.

But yeah, I think it's worse than lateral. SVG has had some amazing talent the last many years but he doesn't seem to make good adjustments in a 7-game series. Just you watch.

20. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I've watched a lot of Magic games during SVG's tenure (around 80%), as well as pre- and postgame interviews and read quite a bit of local coverage of the Magic, so I'd say I've got a decent feel for this.

Van Gundy is one of the better coaches in this league, though purely as a coach SVG isn't an upgrade over Adelman.

His offense is very predictable and he doesn't make a whole lot of adjustments on offense.
    His playbook for the most part consists of simple pick&roll or pick&pop plays, with Howard usually diving to the rim. It's basically the Rudy T offense without any kind of cutting. They also run some basic postups, again without much movement and from time to time some pindown and isolation sets.

The plays he runs out of timeouts are pretty simple, though usually effective.

The defensive scheme SVG preaches totally differs from what the Rockets did with Adelman. The roations are more complicated and the bigs are required to help more. The Magic's defensive efficiency numbers have been very good under Van Gundy, though it's hard to say how effective it would be without Dwight Howard.

One thing is sure though. He preaches defense. Pretty much all he talks about in training camp and pre-season is defense. He gets on their players if they don't play defense and will sit them down if they don't try or aren't paying attention to the game plan/scouting report.

Van Gundy is very into numbers. I can't find the link, but I belive that when the Magic hired him he convinced them to hire some stat guys. He knows the exact percentages of pretty much any players on his team. He knows what the league average is for pretty much any important stat. He has studied what stats correlate to winning, etc.

He's also an NBA lifer. The guy seriously knows every NBA player from 1-15 by name. He's always studying tape and/or reading scouting reports. He knows pretty much anybodys strength and weaknesses and of course their averages.
    He knows every teams strength and weaknesses, by numbers, in and out. He knows every coach, their assistant coaches and the assistant of the assistant coach.

He's also very keen on practice and developing players. He puts a LOT of time in the gym and is very demanding, though understanding.
    He's very personal and honest and usually develops very good relationships with his players.
    He has the mobile numbers of every Magic players and is said to often exchange texts with those guys.
    Last summer, during the off-season, he flew to France to spend a few days with Mickael Pietrus and get him to know a little better.

That said, he often is a little too honest. Too critical of his players. The 'Master of Panic' nickname Shaq gave him is pretty fitting.
    He's very outgoing, not hiding his emotions from anybody, which can be hard on the players anytime they're having a rough stretch.
    He's stubborn and mentally weak. He just can't help himself when things don't go his way. He'll put all the blame on himself, but his bodylanguage (during the game) can be seriously bad.

Overall I could see him and Morey being a pretty good fit, meshing well together, though I'm not sure how Van Gundy would handle all these trades, as he likes to have stability, partly because it takes a while to get used to his defensive schemes.
    He's a smart guy though, understanding this is a business and the goal is to win it all, so I definitely could see this working out.

3 people like this.