1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What makes Patrick Mahomes better than Deshaun Watson?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not just better players - which several have already mentioned - but unique players. There really aren't any other players in the NFL quite like Kelce and Hill, which makes scheming a defense to stop them virtually impossible.

And, yes - Andy Reid is awesome. He has limitations as a *head* coach; but in terms of offensive minds, he's one of the best in the entire history of the NFL.

Jake Tower and plutoblue11 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

crazy part is he’s doing it this year without Hill

plutoblue11 and Hey Now! like this.
  3. edwardc

edwardc Member

A better o-line that is all the difference.

red5rocket and Fulgore like this.
  4. Mashing

Mashing Member

Looks like Watson is going to be the better QB this week at least. ;)

jcf, vince and plutoblue11 like this.
  5. Mr. Space City

I guess all qb's have stinkers from time to time, even the good ones.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL....you should head over to Chiefs Planet and see all the b****ing about Andy Reid, his timeout usage, his lack of awareness that his Oline needs help to protect Mahomes (and got him hurt).....lol.

They also want to trade for Trent Williams......lol.

plutoblue11 and Fulgore like this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Whew. Good thing CF definitely doesn't do any of that, right?

raining threes likes this.
  8. vince

vince Member

Well the real comparisons might be more visible in a few more weeks. The Texans offensive line is starting to gel!!! So right now is not the best time to compare objectively.

Watson has been scrambling because of a weak OL throughout his career, and he’s gotten into bad habits.

But that OL was a beast against the Falcons. And Watson seemed more in control of his emotions and scrambled smarter.

Texans looked real good on offense.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True. He ha gotten much smarter with the ball this year. He is using his options so much better.

vince likes this.
  10. meh

meh Contributing Member

You know why they complain? Because thats a fanbase that want to win a title.

You know why Texans apologists hate people complaining about BOB, because they believe 9-7 is the pinnacle of what a football team should strive to be

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I completely get the hate for BOB, I don’t think he’s the guy. But complaining after this last game is just annoying.

vince likes this.
  12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I have and will always support Watson after a good or bad game because I think he's a great QB until he proves otherwise. I have and will dislike BOB after a good or bad game because I think he's a mediocre at best coach with no chance to take this team to the Super Bowl, unless he proves he can improve the way he coaches.

If you just talk badly about a coach after a loss, then essentially his defenders will always have the excuse of saying you're a reactionist and just piling on after a loss. This last win doesn't change how I feel about Watson or BOB compared to last week or last year even.

plutoblue11 and DatRocketFan like this.
  13. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Watson has more heart than maholmes

14. blackistan

blackistan Member

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe he does. Maybe he doesn't. That isn't anything you or anyone else can debate.

#115 deb4rockets, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  16. vince

vince Member

I think we all kind of see that Watson has that “IT” factor. He has that magic that made Elway, Manning, Brady, etc so special.

But we only have a feeling because it’s about winning when you are supposed to, against those elite teams and defenses.

Now we are going to see what this is all about. I said at the beginning of the season, the OL needed 4 games to get some steam going. Hence, I don’t think they are going to be the laughing stock of the NFL Internet trolls any longer. With receivers a plenty, a decent showing at RB, and an ever improving OL, it’s time for Watson to work his magic!!

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean the OL is improving... but it's a little early, imo, to be gung-ho about that unit - or more specifically about that unit combined with Watson's tendency to hold the ball too long.

Most of the positive feel here is based on one week against a horrible defense. Much bigger tests coming up for the team as a whole, but the OL as well.

Still, you are supposed to dominate bad defenses, and they did.

red5rocket likes this.
  18. vince

vince Member

Yes I agree, it’s a bit too early to go hog wild, but that was an impressive performance last week. It’s one of those performances that lets you dream of how good they can get!

now let’s sit back and see if they are ready to take their destiny into their own hands.

19. showa13

showa13 Member

While the Texans oline seems to be trending up the chiefs oline is trending down. Mahomes has shown to struggle with pressure, as against Detroit and Sunday night against the colts they were able to get to him and throw his game off. Deshaun dominates with great oline play, but has shown to put up great numbers even with poor oline play. It’ll be interesting to see if the chiefs line hinders him. Sunday will be a good test.

20. Mr. Space City

Dont mind me, I'm just passing through....

BigShasta, jcf and Sooty like this.