1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What kind of offensive scheme does Steve need to excel?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by subtomic, Feb 4, 2004.

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Forget the Yao vs. Steve arguments. Forget the missed airplane incident.

Pretend it's 2000 and you are the new coach/GM of a team that has Steve Francis as its only star player (no Mobley, no Hakeem, no anybody that can create his own offense). This team currently has just enough cap room and expiring contracts to "revamp" its roster around Steve. So you can pretty much surround Steve with your choice of strong starters and role players, but you can't get any additional All-Stars (no Shaq, no Duncan, etc.).

In order to determine how you would go about assembling this team, answer these questions.

1) What (in your opinion) are Steve Francis' strengths as a player? What are his weaknesses?

2) What type of offense would you run to maximize Steve Francis' strengths?

3) What would you do to minimize Steve Francis's weaknesses (offensive and defensive)?

4) What type of players would you sign to play with Steve Francis? How would these players complement Steve's strengths and minimize his weaknesses?

5) Finally, (and be honest here) do you think this team could realistically compete for a championship?

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Steve needs to be a starting 2.

And a back-up at the 1.

End of discussion.

3. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

He will excel on ANY playground around the world. Especially in situations where 4 others players stand around and watch him iso and iso.

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Its QUITE simple. he needs to start hitting his freaking shots. The dude is in a slump on a lifetime. Thats it. Its not the offense. He is still taking the middle distance shot. He is WIDE open for some 3 pointers that he drained last year. He is just off. That it. Once he gets his shot back, its on. So start practicing more, stop skipping work, and get your team to the 6th seed Steve. its right there for the taking. Otherwise u will not survive the summer in Houston. :cool:

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I want to see the pick-and-roll ran to perfection. Yao has a sweet outside J that would make defenders stay with him, and Steve has the driving ability to make defenders try to stay with him. We ran it so many times against L.A., and looked what happened, they weren't sure how to stop it.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Subtomic, I think it's a great question; it's too bad so many responses declined to answer it. I don't know if I can offer a better answer, really, but I'll give it a shot.

Offensively, Francis' strength is in slashing to the basket. And, this season aside, I think he has the talent to be a good jump shooter as well. He's a good passer for a shooting guard. Plus he's a strong rebounder. On the other side, he's turnover prone. I don't fault him for his defense since he has the physical tools to get it done; with those, you can mold him into a good defender. He lacks some height, but his athleticism compensates (at least until he's older).

Likely, I'd want to run a drive-and-dish system, much like what he's been playing for us. I'd want some teammates who could shoot the jumper well, especially from mid-range. I'd want a bruiser center or power forward that can create a pocket under the basket for Francis. I'd probably run a lot of picks to brush off Francis' initial defender to force help to come over and open up shooters. I wouldn't play him at point guard though you'd probably have to live with most of the turnovers.

I say this, but I'm more than certain that his actual coaches can and have devised better systems for him than I could, even with personnel restraints. Though I never really understood it, I've always been intrigued by Rudy's faux-iso and his attempt to create holes in the defense by dribbling to various spots on the floor instead of passing it.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think Steve would excel in any offense where he (1) is the SG, not the PG and (2) is not put in the leadership position.

Despite some of his lack of instinctual passing, I think he makes a team like Dallas, New Jersey, or Sacremento, both predicated on fast, up-tempo, quick passing schemes, better, assuming he is a PG and not the guy in charge of creating that mentality.

Any kind of offense that makes Steve the finisher and not the creator.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm of the opinion that Sieve Francis needs to set his jumper up with the dribble, as opposed to a catch and shoot sort of thing.

So, crossover, crossover, between the legs, juke left, back right, POP.

As opposed to Yao passes out of the post to Cat, Cat swings to Sieve as he's open on the wing, and (no dribble) launch.

I don't think he's at all fomfotable with the 2nd case. I think he could be with a great deal of practice however. Right now, he likes the rhythym of setting up his own shot.

10. runninhorns

runninhorns Rookie

he'd do great in the And1 video

11. haven

haven Member

Good question.

If I wanted to design a team around Francis, this is what I'd want:

A. A jump shooting big man (Jason Collier was our attempt at this); this clears up the lane, and provides a great outlet for Francis to get the ball to if he doesn't have a good shot after penetration; moreover, it draws the opposing C's out... or gets the C a good look

B. A SF who could really hit the 3 (Dan Langhi, anyone?); for kick outs

C. A 2 guard with ball handling abilities (protect it); If Francis' penetration doesn't immediately work, he's having an off day... or he's having trouble getting into the lane, we need someone who can handle the ball and initiate another play

D. An enforcer PF (obviously, qualities of C and PF could flip-flop); tempted to put two shooting big men in there, but you need this guy for defense.

IMO, the Rockets tried to assemple this squad. Drafting and signings show it - but the guys they got failed. Cato was never the defensive force we hoped, Collier flopped, Langhi flopped. Mo T was probably an opportunity signing, but could have hopefully clearned the lane as Collier was intended to... but was either hurt or not as good as advertized.

12. haven

haven Member

Oh, and for Steve himself:

he'd have to cut out the dribbling around a bit. But he's best when he has the ball. I'd mainly try to get him to start his move sooner, whether it's penetration or just to free himself up for a jumper.

Steve has a great midrange jumper and drives well. Let him do that and create for the rest of the team.

13. JayZ750

If we're talking about changing Steve's game (i.e. - dribble less), then I think the one thing that would make Steve 50% better than he currently is, would be to watch how a player like Steve Nash penetrates the lane. Specifically, recognize that there is no rule that says just because you are 5 feet from the rim you have to either jump and try an impossible layup or jump and try an impossible pass. It is perfectly acceptable to recognize that you have nothing and keep dribbling back out of the lane, creating even more passing opportunities and scoring opportunities for yourself in the future.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The kind of offensive system Steve needs is one that can get him to practice on time, one that can get him to team meetings on time, one that can allow him to make team flights.

In other words, it is ALL up to Steve...when he chooses to get on board it will be a lot easier for him.

DD

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Where he'll constantly get outscored by opposing twos due to his size and other defensive shortcomings.

16. JayZ750

Steve's biggest defensive problem seems to be lateral quickness. For the most part, I'd argue that the 2's in this league are not nearly as quick as the ones. Granted, there are still many quick ones (A.I. as the best example) and a lot more bigger two's, but I'd rather see Steve use his decent size/frame defensively (especially given that the use of posting up by guards has decreased drastically over the years) than continue to get beat defensively by PG that blow right by him.

17. Nero

Nero Member

Um, have you ever heard of Allen Iverson?

18. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I agree alot with what Haven said.. but to relate that to the team we have now I would make some adjustments find a tall atheltic Small Forward (again I hope Bokie can develop into this position)and have JJ handle the ball as the starting SG and let SF3 run around and do his thing.

I think we have been focused on getting Yao involved and letting SF3 fall to the wayside but with the pick up MJ SF3 was spending more time at the 2.

I think we are a good SF away from being a really good team.

J

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

1) What (in your opinion) are Steve Francis' strengths as a player? What are his weaknesses?

Strengths: jumping and jumping related activities (eg dunking, rebounding)
    Weaknesses: non-jumping activities (eg passing, shooting, dribbling)

2) What type of offense would you run to maximize Steve Francis' strengths?

The only time he touches the ball is on a rebound or an ally-oop.

3) What would you do to minimize Steve Francis's weaknesses (offensive and defensive)?

To minimize his offensive weaknesses, see above.
    Defensively, I would exempt him from helping and rotation. The other four players can play help defense and rotate, but Steve must stay with his man, because he always seems to provide unneccessary help, is slow to rotate, and loses his man for wide open jumpshots.

4) What type of players would you sign to play with Steve Francis? How would these players complement Steve's strengths and minimize his weaknesses?

I think it is a losing proposition to try to tailor a team to fit Steve Francis, so it doesn't really matter who you sign. I guess you would want a smart ball-handler, a good post player, solid shooters and good defenders (sound familiar?).

5) Finally, (and be honest here) do you think this team could realistically compete for a championship?

Almost certainly not.

20. pchan

pchan Member

Steve just need a brain transplant and a heart transplant, then he can strive with any system, any player, at any time.

As for now, he is best playing with big guys who are good at setting pick then fade back to the top for a spot up jumper... and other people standing around the 3 pt line at the weak side for him to pass to.
    He almost never pass to people near the basketl.. steve always pass to people outside.
    The last player should be one who can jump real high to finish off any kind of alley opp pass.

Steve is at his best when he can control the basketball... and everyone else wait for him.