1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Jobs are in high demand right now in Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by larsv8, Jun 27, 2018.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

My wife is wrapping up her baby making, and with the new children, comes new costs. I am trying to find a way for her to earn more money.

She never went to college, spent alot of time in AmeriCorp and as a Flight Attendant.

I was considering sending her to school, but am unsure what is in demand right now. We live in Katy, and have a lot of Medical facilities, so my first thought was maybe Sonography, but got mixed results on whether that job market was saturated or not.

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Any of the medical certs would be in demand. Sister in law did one (can't remember which), and had a job right after.

3. body slam

body slam Member

class A CDL truck driver

Buc-ee's, HEB, Lowes, Home Depot

KingCheetah likes this.
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It seems live every restaurant and store has a help wanted sign.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

start her very own online shop.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nursing is ALWAYS in demand

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

What Os said. Try to find a field in healthcare. Not only is job security really good, but jobs are always in demand.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

have you thought about asking her what she might be happy doing?

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My wife is wrapping up her baby making, and with the new children, comes new costs.

I'm trying to figure out if that means you impregnated her last night and it's time for her to get to work to pay for the costs of the new children on the way. If so, damn.

And you live in Katy, you say? Might I suggest evacuating before deciding on your next course of action?

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It may mean that nobody ever taught our friend where babies come from and he thinks his wife makes them on her own. :oops:

#10 B-Bob, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Uprising and Sajan like this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

No one's going to ask for photos of the wife?

Clutchfans, yall slipping.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

skip education, reviewing video games on YouTube pays millions, a women going through labor and playing a game is an instant hit

ramotadab likes this.
  13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Insurance sales, registered rep/financial planning; considering she has housing and transportation expenses covered while she can learn sales and build a client base on a commission-based job.

Separately, a lot of crude oil and natural gas companies are beefing up their commercial staffing: measurement, pipeline control, dispatch, treasury/settlements, crude oil ticketing might be good functions to look at.

I would try to talk to any staffing agencies that specialize in Finance, Accounting with oil and gas companies.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

long haul trucking. don't laugh, big article in WaPo today about the shortage of drivers

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...c19e12-7595-11e8-b4b7-308400242c2e_story.html

America’s severe trucker shortage could undermine the prosperous economy

by Heather Long June 28 at 11:22 AM Email the author
    [​IMG]
    Rick Halt, an instructor at TDDS, explains a lesson to students in the truck driving program on June 12. (Dustin Franz/For The Washington Post)

LAKE MILTON, Ohio — Bob Blocksom, an 87-year-old former insurance salesman, needs a job. He hasn’t saved enough money for his retirement. And trucking companies, desperate for workers, are willing to give him one.

Age didn’t matter, they said. If Blocksom could get his “CDL” — commercial driver’s license — they would hire him for a $50,000 job. One even offered to pay his tuition for driver training school, but there was a catch: Blocksom had to commit to driving an 18-wheel truck all over America for a year.

So far, that has been too big of an ask for Blocksom, who doesn’t want to spend long stretches of time away from his wife of 60 years. “The more I think about it, it would be tough to be on the road Monday through Friday,” he said.

As the nation faces a historically low level of unemployment, trucking companies are doing what economists have said firms need to do to attract and retain workers: They’re hiking pay significantly, offering bonuses and even recruiting people they previously wouldn’t have considered.

But it’s not working. The industry reports a growing labor shortage — 63,000 open positions this year, a number expected to more than double in coming years — that could have wide-ranging impacts on the American economy.
    more at the link

Houstunna and B-Bob like this.
  15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Self driving to the rescue?

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Does she not want a career? You find something you like and monetize it. If you just like making money, then learn business and do that as a career.

17. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Harden just won MVP, so I'm sure there will be an increase demand in one occupation.

Kidding of course.

Sajan likes this.
  18. Garner

Garner Member