1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is your favorite food?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hcw128, Jan 10, 2019.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I have never been able to find anything ethnic thats gonna blow your mind in the dfw area. I recently laughed at some friends from dallas that thought they were eating really good "Asian food" at a place called Alice- a pretentious, fake Asian food joint (all glamour and no substance).

2. TAB

TAB Member

ceviche

potstickers

ribs

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The fried chicken at uchiko, uchi, and loro just tastes better

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Whats a good spot for some ceviche? Preferably with fish and scallop.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'll second this question..........really good, fresh ceviche is SO awesome. I know it's good when my ten year old is eating it too, and then he's fighting me to drink the juice left in the bowl.

6. Buck Turgidson

You just said 3 places.....which is best?

7. rockbox

They are owned by the same people but Loro is probably the least expensive.

8. Buck Turgidson

Right on. I'm not going to a Japanese place to eat fried chicken anyway, but I'll check it out.

9. rockbox

Loro isnt japanese. It a joint venture between owner of uchi and Franklin's

10. Buck Turgidson

I know, it's Tex/Jap. Like I said, similar concept to Kemuri, I just haven't had a chance to go there yet. Thanks for the heads up, I will in fact eat fried chicken there the first time I go.

11. TAB

TAB Member

Man, I wish I had a good answer for ya'll. I just get it when I can at whatever Mexican/TexMex place I happen to be at. I've never seen a scallops option, it's either shrimp/fish or both and I prefer shrimp. Also, not down w/ the saltines served with it. Give me the tostadas.

12. Buck Turgidson

Campechana de Mariscos at Goode Co Seafood. Hugo's, Caracol.

13. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I just tried out my Anova for the first time on some boneless chicken breast. 150 for 1 hour. I can not believe how moist and tender it came out. I'm hooked. I have about 45 minutes until my ribeyes come out. I also bought some torch tips to sear the steak when they're done.
    Thanks to all that informed me about sous vide.

VooDooPope and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Falcons Talon

You rang? I made these last night.

Attached Files:

arkoe likes this.
  15. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

That looks good, how did you make those? Every time I have tried they end up sucking and don't look that good.

16. Falcons Talon

I'd be glad to help.

These look and taste delicious, and this for is a plate of 6 enchiladas which I make for myself almost every other day doing an OMAD intermittent fast.
    I get everything at Wal Mart.

You'll need to buy:
    Corn tortillas ( I prefer Mission yellow corn extra thin)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mission-Extra-Thin-Yellow-Corn-Tortillas-24-Count/10309354

Ground turkey 97% (seasoned with Knorrs Beef Boullion jar...no cubes, garlic powder, and some dried onion flakes)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shadybrook-Farms-Fresh-97-Lean-Ground-White-Turkey-1-25-lbs/45618190
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Knorr-Seasoning-Granulated-Beef-Bouillon-35-3-oz/38414814

Gebhardt Enchilada sauce (one can per 6 enchiladas)

Velveeta cheese slices

Great Value Fiesta Blend shredded cheese

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Reduced-Fat-Fiesta-Blend-Shredded-16-Oz/870692427

Great Value Italian Style finely shredded cheese
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Finely-Shredded-Italian-Style-Cheese-16-oz/34186949

La Vaquita Queso Fresco (small)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/La-Vaquita-Queso-Fresco-Mexicano-24-Oz/146087768

Onion

La Costena Jalapenos
    (sliced or nacho style)

-To cook the ground turkey. I pour some water in a pan and premix the beef flavoring and the garlic powder. Then drop in a pound of ground turkey and some dried onion flakes. I use 97% turkey for the lower calories. The lower the lean percent, the tastier the meat.

-While the turkey is cooking, I put the can of enchilada sauce in a glass bowl and add another half can of water. The sauce straight out of the can is too thick for me. Nuke the sauce until the sauce is steaming.

-While that's going on, start dicing up your onion and jalapeno.

-When the meat is cooked up, nuke the corn tortillas to get them soft. I have a tortilla warmer that I use and it takes exactly one minute. Separate the tortillas immediately or they will stick together and lay out 1/3 of a slice of Velveeta on each tortilla. (Trust me on the Velveeta cheese portion. I tried it with a half slice and it overpowered the entire meal)

-Lay a tortilla on a large dinner plate.

-Spoon in the meat, add both fiesta cheese and italian blend cheese. Spoon in 3 spoons of enchilada sauce and then roll it up. Not too tight or you will tear the tortilla. Repeat for all six. (You can do the same thing for a cake pan full of enchiladas. I've made 36 at a time when I want to feed the whole family.)

-After rolling your 6 enchiladas, pour the remainder of the sauce over the enchiladas. Be careful not to over flow your plate with sauce.

-Sprinke some more shredded cheese on top.

-Then crumble the queso fresco on top (I cut the queso fresco into 8 wedges and usually use two wedges for this meal).

-Add the diced onion and jalapeno

-Cover the plate and nuke for 4 minutes.

I hope you get to try this soon. It's one of my favorite meals.

#116 Falcons Talon, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Blatz likes this.
  17. rockbox

There are some good Korean places in Korea town and Saigon Block has some legit vietnamese broiled fish. The best I've had at a restaurant.

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Those look awesome! Nice Job. I cannot cook to save my life, how do you like your Anova, thinking about trying that. Do you sear the meat after you take it out of the bag? Just a normal pan on high to get the charred texture?

Falcons Talon likes this.
  19. Falcons Talon

The chicken breast was amazing. Moist, tender, juicy,..but I need to find a better seasoning for it. I used McCormicks Montreal Chicken seasoning and wasn't particularly happy.

After the chicken came out, I cooled down the water to 129 for the ribeyes. I got a little nervous when the ribeys looked uncooked with 15 minutes left and turned up the temp to 139 and left it 15 minutes past the hour. Big mistake in that my ribeye went more towards medium than medium rare. But I see it happening in a big way soon. I just need the right seasoning and to put my trust in the Anova.

I bought a torch tip on amazon and charred it with that. Overall, I love it. I can't wait to try it again.

Attached Files:

#119 Falcons Talon, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Carne asada burritos with cheese and cabbage. Also sonoran hot dogs. God I'm so happy to be back in AZ.