1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is your dream scenario for tomorrow?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sydmill, Jun 22, 2016.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Mine:

Trade Ariza to Philly for Carl Landry and #24
    Rockets acquire pick 56 from Denver for cash considerations

#24: Demetrius Jackson: bench scorer behind Pat
    #37: Pascal Siakam: backup 4 with Serge Ibaka potential
    #43: Malcolm Brogdon: 2/3, glue guy, Brewer replacement splitting minutes with KJ
    #56: Joel Bolomboy: another 4 with prototype size and athleticism for the modern NBA. Maybe we get him a spot on a team overseas for a year or 2?

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don't want that many Rookies on the team. We have 2 from last year who barely played.

Ariza for a #24 pick is pretty bad in my opinion. He is worth at least a top 15.

Now if you say Brewer for the 29th pick, I'm cool. haha

I feel we can package those 2 draft picks and get anything from 25-30th pick. I want a shooter. I don't care what position.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't get why people think Ariza can get you a high middling 1st rounder. I just don't see a team giving up that much for him.

4. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Maker drops to us in the second round. We use our other pick on Kay Felder. Works for me. Taurean Prince drops in the second round and we snag him, too.

Maker/Felder/Prince haul would be a dream.

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

My though was his contract is a bargain and Philadelphia needs help on the wings and they need a veteran with all their youth (Simmons, Sakic, Noel, etc). For us, Landry helps us at the 4 and the pick nets us a backup 1.

6. Normalus

Normalus Member

Brogdon is actually 2/1 & I hope we get him. But it seems Hornets are very interested in him.

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

Yeah, I agree that Brogdon is a 1/2 for the most part. However, I do not know if I'd want him at the 1 and with James at the 2 he would not see many minutes. I am curious as to whether he can play the 3 as a reserve. His length is only 4 inches shorter than KJ's (who he outweighs significantly from when the were drafted). Also, his speed at the 1/2 is not the asset it could be at the 3.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

We free a lot of cap space because Durant already told Harden he's coming here.

:(

9. Lightsnowaction

Trading Brewer for a 2nd and also trading Ariza for a late 1st and 2nd.
    Draft Zhou Qi or Denzel Valentine, Gary Payton II, and Yabusele or Juan Hernangomez

10. Normalus

Normalus Member

What about Harden as 1, and Brogdon as 2? Defensively, Brogdon can take the bigger threat. But there's no way he falls to us. I have a feeling he even gets into 1st round.

11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

I'm a big Kris Dunn fan. Great defender, long, floor general type, and can score. I think he would be great with Harden.

So here's a trade idea:

Rockets get 3rd overall pick from Celtics

Celtics get Trevor Ariza, KJ McDaniels, Clint Capela, and 2017 1st round pick

Then we sign Al Horford, Harrison Barnes, Jared Dudley, back up center, and resign DMo.

Dunn/Beverley
    Harden/Dudley
    Barnes/Dekker
    DMo/Beasley
    Horford/Backup center

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

I could live with James running the 1 and Brogdon the 2, cross matching on D. The more I read about Brogdon the more I like him so it does not shock me to think his intangibles could push him into the 1st. Hopefully not though.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Be sure to enable Trade Override before proposing that trade to Boston.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I actually have 2 scenarios and they both involve trading Harden and drafting Hield.

1st Harden and Ariza to Boston for #3, #16, #23 and Crowder, # 16 and Dmo to move up to #13.
    Draft Hield, Sabonis and Valentine

Scenario #2

Harden and DMo to Philly for #1, #24, Okafor and Wood.
    Draft Hield and Valentine.
    If you are able to keep your 2nd rounders then draft as I did in my sig.

Harden's scoring can be replaced almost immediately.

15. Ranny

Ranny Member

Since we are dreaming my dream scenario would be Brewer for #1 :grin:

if that cant be done I would be ok with Brewer for #60 :cool:

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

I want to end up with Sabonis some how some way. We need passionate players who actually give a ****. If we can snag the 12 from ATL, and use it to move up to around 8 for Sabonis, i will go into July 1's with a smile on my face. Keeping guys like DMO and adding Sabonis gives high motor, high passion players that we severely lack around Harden. Then we will out with high IQ players the rest of the summer.

17. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Why do people think Brewer is worth anything? You gotta pay someone at least a 2nd rounder to take Brewer and his ridiculous contract off your hands.

18. Lightsnowaction

That is why it is considered a "Dream".

19. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think Deyonta Davis is going to be a stud, compares favorably to Derrick Favors coming out of school. If he slips like some are projecting (to the late teens or #20), we should do what we can to move up.

He's a great athlete with the ability to play either big spot, can protect the rim at a high level, is fluid, can play small-ball 5 or big-lineup 4 (6'11" 237 with a 7'3" wingspan). He has a great stroke that he didn't get to showcase at MSU, but under Izzo he's developed good habits inside.

At #37 and #43, if we keep them, my top targets are:

- Patrick McCaw | SG/SF | 6'6" 181 (6'10" WS) | UNLV | 20 (Soph.)
    - Caris LeVert | SG/SF | 6'7" 191 (6'11" WS) | Michigan | 21 (Jr.)
    - Chinanu Onuaku | C/PF | 6'10" 245 (7'3" WS) | Louisville | 19 (Soph.)
    - Georgios Papagiannis | C | 7'2" 270 (7'6" WS) | Greece | 19 (Intl.)

McCaw and LeVert are versatile wings who can handle, defend and knock down the open shot. I think both would complement Harden well. Onuaku is a strong defender who can do dirty work and still has growing to do. Papagiannis is huge and has quite a bit of upside on both ends (and is under the radar for whatever reason right now).

I'd also be happy with:

- Isaiah Whitehead | SG/PG | 6'4" 210 (6'9" WS) | Seton Hall | 21 (Jr.)
    - Cat Barber | PG | 6'3" 173 (6'6" WS) | North Carolina State | 21 (Jr.)
    - Gary Payton II | PG | 6'3" 184 (6'8" WS) | Oregon State | 22 (Sr.)
    - Malcolm Brogdon | SG/SF | 6'5" 223 | Virginia | 23 (Sr.)
    - Thon Maker | C/PF | 7'1" 216 (7'3" WS) | Sudan | 19 (Intl.)
    - Petr Cornelie | PF/C | 7'1" 220 (7'2" WS) | France | 20 (Intl.)
    - Cheick Diallo | PF/C | 6'9" 219 (7'5" WS) | Kansas | 19 (Fr.)

Barber and Whitehead can create their shots at a high level and can be good backups/change-ups to PatBev. Payton can bring much of what Beverley brings. Brogdon is an off-ball 3/D winner. Maker will likely be gone, but I think he's worth the risk where we're picking if he does slip. Same with Diallo, who's like a rawer, more explosive Onuaku. Cornelie is not unlike Channing Frye, and there's always a place for guys like that.

I don't want any of these guys, whether it's in the 2nd or by trading up:

- Domantas Sabonis | PF | 6'10" 235 (6'11" WS) | Gonzaga | 20 (Soph.)
    - Dejounte Murray | PG/SG | 6'5" 170 (6'10" WS) | Washington | 19 (Fr.)
    - Diamond Stone | C | 6'10" 254 (7'3" WS) | Maryland | 19 (Fr.)
    - Tyler Ulis | PG | 5'10" 149 (6'2" WS) | Kentucky | 20 (Soph.)
    - Jake Layman | SF/PF | 6'9" 209 (6'10" WS) | Maryland | 22 (Sr.)
    - Zhou Qi | C | 7'2" 218 (7'8" WS) | China | 20 (Intl.)
    - Jared Uthoff | PF/SF | 6'10" 214 (6'11" WS) | Iowa | 23 (Sr.)
    - Brice Johnson | PF | 6'10" 209" (7'0" WS) | North Carolina | 22 (Sr.)

Sabonis and Johnson are good players, but have very little use in today's NBA, without shot-creating ability, 3-point range, rim-protecting ability or positional versatility on D. Stone is also outdated as a post-player without much athleticism or defensive chops. I like Ulis, but his size is too much of a red-flag. Layman is a poor man's Dekker. Uthoff is also outdated, but he has range (but Sabonis and Johnson are superior players). Qi is too much of a project.

1 person likes this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is your dream scenario?