1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is with all the 'jinx, curse, luck' posts?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by theimpossibles1, Nov 4, 2017.

1. theimpossibles1

It's getting to the point where any time someone says anything positive or congratulatory about our teams and/or players someone feels the need to say it is a jinx. I assume this is because people are fearful of the unknown and winning somehow makes them uncomfortable.
    Then when things go wrong, which is a natural part of sports, people blame it on someone or something else jinxing it. I assume they do this because it makes them feel better about a bad situation because they get an 'I told you so' feeling.
    When Deshaun got injured, many people immediately resorted to blaming other people. Guess what? Sh*t happens.
    Every time you make a post or comment about 'houston sports gods' or luck etc etc, all you are doing is feeding negative energy to the situation.
    It works both ways. Many people were saying the Astros were cursed in LA and we couldn't win. Guess what? We won.
    Just enjoy it when something good happens. Talk about it and make bold predictions for the future. This is why we are fans. Don't deny yourself of enjoyment by looking at everything in terms of jinxes and luck.
    Here's the truth: the only thing that makes jinxes and curses real is YOU BELIEVING IN THEM. If you do, that is a personal problem, and you should keep it that way.

We love Houston sports and we all want the best for our teams and players. When something bad happens we should just accept it so we can move on and not fixate and point fingers, and we shouldn't feel inhibited about rejoicing or congratulating when something good happens. I realize sometimes it is said in a humorous way and I am all for that. The problem is the growing number of posters who clearly believe in jinxes and curses and that somehow the posts of random strangers determines the outcome of our games and seasons.

I realize this will always happen, I just hope I can help some people see things more clearly.

Thanks for reading, have a wonderful day.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Deshaun Watson, Texans, Astros...

Boy, I'm glad you didn't mention the Rockets or else you might have cursed/jinxed them.

Speaking of, mods need to delete that "1st place through first 10 games" thread. Have we not learned our lesson yet? "No real contenders, first place!, best bench, etc., etc." That **** ALWAYS comes back to bite us in the ass! STOP! Stop making those threads!

;)

4. theimpossibles1

Born and raised and living here now.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

In before the jinx...

Houstunna likes this.
  6. theimpossibles1

Maybe this thread will jinx jinxes. Of course by saying that I unjinxed the original jinx jinxing. And by saying that I jinxed the unjinxing of jinx jinxing. And so on...

7. BamBam

[​IMG]

You've officially jinx the whole planet with that post...:eek:

8. theimpossibles1

Nah bro, the whole universe. There is no escaping my divine influence.

9. BamBam

[​IMG]

fba34 and theimpossibles1 like this.
  10. theimpossibles1

I LoLd. Self defenestration FTW!

BamBam likes this.
  11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Serious post:
    You're taking this BBS tad too seriously. BTW TL,DR

Not-so serious post:
    Season ending injury in 5, 4, 3, ......... :(

BamBam likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For each jinx there should be an anti-jinx.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Like 69 or the O of life. :confused:

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Main reason - most people are weak-minded to begin with, so blaming others happens.

Next - HOU's sports history

An Astros Dynasty would do wonders.

DeShaun should return near 100 and win multiple Bowls too.

Let's do this !!!

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Because after suffering a devastating loss the first person that ticks you off is the guy that was naively optimistic.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Like Final Destination

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't ever talk about the "i" word. Bad juju!!

[​IMG]

18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Yep lol.

Always happens to me. People like going off on me after a tough loss if i was “annoyingly positive” before the game.

RedRedemption likes this.
  19. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Its several things. First our minds are incredible at pattern recognition. Which can trick us, because we often see patterns that don't really exist.
    Second, if you ever played sports, ritual is a big part of it. You dribble three time and spin the ball before shooting a free throw. Hit your cleats with the bat and adjust your cap before stepping into the batters box, etc. This is because muscle memory needs to take over and the rituals clear your mind.
    And lastly as a fan you invest a lot of emotion into your team, but have zero control over the outcome. Due to all these factors, we invent little things to make us believe we have an effect on the outcome. The last two times Altuve got a hit, I was standing up. So now I'm going to stand up every time Altuve is at bat.

I don't think most people actually believe in jinxes or that their little rituals have an effect on the game, but its just a fun, stupid way to stay involved. So lighten up :)

20. Buck Turgidson

Your first sentence explains it. People either understand it, or they don't.

I won't step on the chalk as I walk away from this thread.