1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the cost in draft picks to move up to top 10 for QB?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hemingway, Feb 9, 2017.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I agree.. Draft a overvalued QB (Mahomes) and an undervalued one later (Jerod Evans) and let them compete for backup QB.. Start Savage and let's go!

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you're suggesting they carry 4 QB's this year? Bold.

houstonstime likes this.
  3. edwardc

edwardc Member

I see the point that your making but 4 qb's your taking a big chance doing that.

javal_lon likes this.
  4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If it's a possibility why not? I'm by no means an expert on the cap but it wouldnt hurt IMO.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It means that you'd be cutting one extra player that can help the team just to carry an extra QB. Roster spots are valuable, I wouldn't suggest wasting them like that. Some only carry 2 QB's to keep an extra spot available so they don't end up cutting a valuable player.

javal_lon likes this.
  6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I understand that bro.. I really do. BUT that extra player that can help this team may be a QB to inject some life in this offense. But I'm thinking of our current QB situation, not if we address it beforehand. Just an idea..lol

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No offense, but this is not bold just stupid. We did it once before, remember Derek Carr and then a wasted 3rd round pick on a louisville qb that never worked out. Savage is your starter, Asswiper your backup, unless ONE drafted quarterback (Watson for me) works out. They need to address OL with multiple picks not QB with multiple picks.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If we need a 4th string QB to inject some life into our offense, we will have much bigger issues like looking for a new GM and HC.

With that said, I don't mind taking a flyer near the end of the draft to stash on the practice squad.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

If you draft more than one QB be willing to let one of them (or Savage or Brock) go before the season starts. Not enough roster spots.

javal_lon likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree if I had any faith in their picking a QB to take the place of Savage or Brock. That being said, I think they need 2 picks to get it right, and whoever loses out competing for the team can go to the practice squad. I do agree we need to address the OL in this draft, and use a couple of our top 5 picks on it.

11. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Why not wait for the second pick?
    Take your tackle in the first and you may only need a second from next year to move up for Mahomes or a 2018 2nd + 2017 3rd to move up and perhaps get lucky if Kizer falls to the end of the first or into the second.
    A lot cheaper!

#31 Wattafan, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very true. I mean, we're not talking about any really good prospects at QB in this class, so why trade up for one of them? If the team wants to, they can pick up one and hope for a miracle to happen rather than wasting picks in order to trade up and hope for a miracle to happen.

Wattafan likes this.
  13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I think it makes sense for exactly the reasons we have cited.
    He most likely will not be ready to start until next year anyway unless he just lights it up in pre season and training camp which is not likely in Bill's system.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would put Rick Smith's first round picks up against any other GM's during his tenure ('07-'16); he's annually nails the first round.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The last 9 are still on the team. That includes 5 Pro Bowlers, 3 All-Pros, a 3-time DPOY, and a defensive ROY.

Amobi Okoye is currently the lone bust (who, incidentally, is still playing football in the CFL for Saskatchewan after surviving a bout with anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis and had been placed in a medically induced coma to stabilize recurring seizures). Will Fuller remains to be seen.

Hey Now! likes this.
  16. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Only Vlade Divac would be stupid enough to trade into the top 10 for a QB. There's not a can't miss QB prospect out there worth it.

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was talking about their quarterback picks in the draft and from other teams.

#37 deb4rockets, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017