1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Minny's number two pick worth - what would be a fair offer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jun 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Raven

Raven Member

If, theoretically, Morey wanted that pick, what would be a fair deal for both sides?

And who should we select with that pick if we got it?

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we don't have anything that's worth the #2 pick except for maybe lowry + #14 or maybe kmart straight up.

either way this draft is too weak to pay the cost for a #2 pick since you won't get the same value in return.

1 person likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Scola, the 14th pick and New York's 1st rounder next season.

4. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

sadly, i think you're right. that seems like a lot to give up for a top pick in a weak draft.

5. arjun

arjun Member

um yea...i would do that in a heart beat, but i doubt that is enough

6. PeppermintCandy

Lowry + Martin + 14th pick could maybe get it done. Houston also takes back a bad contract or two.

I know people will say that's too much, but it is the 2nd pick of the draft and I'm thinking about the fact that Minny previously refused Morey's poorer but similar offer of Brooks/Battier for a lower lottery pick in Rubio (#5 pick).

Morey of course only does it if he really believes he could get a potential superstar in return.

Kahn does it because he really believes this is a weak draft. And seeing as the Clippers have Minny's draft pick the following season, he has no incentive to tank. Lowry and Martin could help them make a real playoff push.

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Hmmmm..... Pat2 and Williams. Intriguing.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

The depth of this draft is weak, but the top end talent seems to be there.

If we're moving up to #2, you've got to think it's for Kanter. What is a potential elite center worth?

I'd say Martin + 2011 14th pick + Lottery protected 2013 pick. Anything more and you're gutting the potential of this team. I WOULD NOT offer either 2012 pick.

9. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

We already traded our 2012 1st (lottery protected) to NJ for T-Will.

10. Houston_Rockets

So wrong.

The depth of this draft is strong, but the top end talent seems to not be there.

PeAcE

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Interesting tidbit on how the deal would have to be done:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/122924848.html

As the schedule stands now -- and pre-draft workouts always are subject to change -- the Wolves have set up a big day on June 16, when Turkish center Enes Kanter is supposed to work out for them in the morning followed by Arizona forward Derrick Williams in the afternoon.

Expect Williams, projected as the No. 2 overall pick, to work out only for the Wolves and lottery winner Cleveland unless it appears certain the Wolves will trade the pick.

But remember: They can't trade the pick outright now because they owe the Clippers their 2012 pick and NBA rules prohibit trading first-round picks in consecutive years, so if they do trade the pick they'll have to select Williams and trade him on draft night or thereafter.

12. redao

redao Member

Rockets have nothing to trade for a #2 pick.

Lowry + 14 pick + whatever is a crap offer.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but the parameters of the trade can be agreed upon by the teams before the draft, with the actual trade being announced during or immediately after the draft. The lockout would likely have little to no impact on a trade involving that #2 pick.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Can't see what we would seriously offer unless we take back a crap contract. Which is possible.

Minnesota will be below the cap after this month, but until then, we'd have to more evenly match salaries. So even if we wanted to send them Kevin Martin for the #2 (hypothetically), we'd have to take back, say, Martell Webster and whatever else.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Whoever we draft with the pick, hopefully it was worth hiring McHale.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think there is any chance that Martin (and probably not Lowry either, for that matter - though he's more likely) gets dealt for the #2 in this year's draft. Not unless Derrick Williams is there and Morey and company peg him as a superstar. I just have a hard time seeing them trade KM, even if it means acquiring a good center.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

With Kevin Love as a cornerstone, Minnesota is likely to have no interest in Luis Scola. If I had to guess, the two guys they'd want would be Martin and Lowry (though not necessarily both).

18. vick

vick Member

Put the pipe down, and run

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree. But there would be other teams interested in Scola. A three team deal involving Scola would be possible.

20. karmapolice119

I'd trade lowry + kmart + 14th pick for Rubio and the 2nd. (throw in a bad contract to make the salaries work).

Draft either Williams or kanter. We'd be terrible but that means high draft pick next year when they'll be lots of potential stars. And we'd have young talent to build on.