1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what is going on with people in the Toyota center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlefish_220, Feb 23, 2004.

1. littlefish_220

Quote:
    "Sunday night's attendance was 10,952. By the third overtime, nearly half of the fans had left. "

I am really confused of this. You guys have a chance to watch a 3-OT thriller, and half of you just left before the end of game. (yes, it is almost midnight) But come on, I mean how many people in Toyota center are really rox fans? I bet some of them just get a free ticket to watch a game that they don't realy care about.

Not a good feeling.

-Littlefish

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I would be at every game if I could afford it.

3. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

I also noticed that too. You would think that most people would want to stay to watch the exciting conclusion. I been to a lot of Astros games in the past that went to extra innings and half of the crowd had left by the time the game ended.

4. MattM

MattM Member

fans don't go to the games...most of the season ticketholders are corporations...the 'normal' fan has a hard time shelling out $100 for a good seat.

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I saw one guy on TV jumping up and down and pointing a finger to the opposite court whenever Atlanta threw the ball out of bounds:)

6. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

More than half of the people, are over 50 and have alot of money. They go their to entertain their clients, then leave for dinner. All the broke people are uptop in the 10 dollar seats. You cant even notice them there cause they are up so high.

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

How do Home game prices in the bottom section compare to lets say a similar team like Denver or Memphis or a similar city as in Chicago

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

much less to mention that alot of people had to go to work this morning.

getting out of TC and making their way home after te game was over would have put alot of them home well after midnight...

believe it or not...not every person that shows up at the games are diehard fans like most of us.

geesh..

we have so many broken records goin on around here...the noise is deafening.

9. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

i was at the game last night and the saddest thing that i noticed was that the crowd would get WAYYY pumped during time-outs and 'breaks' in the game, but when game would start back up it'd get silent again. has anyone else noticed this?

my friends jokingly said, "it seems like houston fans really come to the game to see Clutch, try to get on the big screen or win free stuff."

oh, and there were NOT 10,000 people there last night. it was a sea of rocket red... rocket red seats.

10. ckahlich001

ckahlich001 Member

damn!
    why on earth would people miss the altanta hawks coming to town?!! are they nuts?! best game OF ALLLL TIIIYEEEEM!!

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It doesn't have anything to do with age. Now, the cost of tickets along with corporate/season ticket holders not showing up is a factor. But I think R2K had an excellent point concerning the people who were there... it was a Monday night with work the next day.

Of course, if I'd been there, I wouldn't have left. (I'm sure R2K wouldn't have either!) I stayed for all of that 20+ inning game the Astros had ages ago. (bless you, Dad. :))

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

R2K, who is the source of the Rudy quote in your sig.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm not sure this is accurate. Tim, care to chime in on this one?

14. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

it is all about Product quality and winning....

the quality is low grade for sure. fun to watch Ming and Steve though.

It all comes down to the 4 Is: improve the play, improve the product, increase the wins and increase attendance!

basic concepts in business....

and sunday night versus atlanta, thought the game was fun to watch, atlanta means nothing to fans of a team that has not been to the playoffs in 4 years....

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I dont remember....it was someone on here.

In one of the many b****fests about VG...someone said that...and since I agree on both points(RT and SC)...I had to use it.

Damn straight!

It wouldnt have been the first time I went to work on only a couple hours sleep...used to go to work on zero hours sleep when I was younger...:D;)

16. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

The good thing about these games, you can actually buy a 10.00 seats, and sit in the 100.00 seats. Call me cheap, but I know damn well you wouldnt think twice about doing this.

17. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Those securities will check your tickets when you go to the lower bowl, especially if you are African-american or Asian.

18. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Being a season ticket holder I have to admit I went into the season thinking I would do this just like I did last year. However this year it is much more difficult. They have people standing at every entry to the seats and at a majority of them you have to show your ticket to get in. Your only chance at moving would be to slip by while the person isn't looking. Of course the best seats are impossible to get to because there are only a couple of doors on opposite sides of the court that you have to go through to get down there. I wish I could agree with your statement, but unfortunately that isn't currently the case.

Pugs

19. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

True.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's from the Houston Chronicle's Mickey Herskowitz. Here's the article ...
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2393707

16th paragraph:
    He came with the franchise 33 years ago, and some of us still haven't come to grips with the fact it all ended when his battle with bladder cancer led to his resignation. He is winning that battle, but trying to accept the Rockets without Rudy T is like trying to accept someone other than Sean Connery as 007.