1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What if Wilt had been a Celtic?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by giddyup, Feb 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I was watching one of those ESPN Sports Century stories on Bill Russell. Miserable guy; great basketball player though.

If somehow Wilt had been a Celtic and Russell a Warrior/Laker, would Wilt have won all those titles or would Russell still have won them... and why?

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Don't buy the miserable guy bit.

Good question about swapped unis. Wilt was obdurate. Russ was the consummate winner. I could imagine both winning championships, but ultimately Wilt wearing out his welcome.

3. giddyup

Hard to tell. He was surly as hell, but he had close friends for a lifetime-- including Wilt.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The Celtics organization shaped more players than they simply 'found'

Wilt would have been in line and winning with defense, or he would have been gone.

Put Russell on a selfish team, and I don't know if he gets a ring.

Evan

5. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Russell didn't have :eek: numbers, but he was the heart and
    soul of the Celtics. He won 5 MVPs.

His many "HOF" teammates had comparable numbers to Wilt's
    teammates. The rings made them "HOF".

6. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Snowmt01, you might want to review Russell's numbers. If 15.1 points, 22.5 rebounds and 4.3 assists aren't ":eek: " I don't know what is.

7. giddyup

Can you check and see what Wilt's numbers were?

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IIRC Wilt (Don't call me Stilt) C had a # ... 1. One championship. What other #s matter in this discussion?

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I think he had 2

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He won one with Philly and one with Lakes. I believe you're right.

11. giddyup

Well, I think that WIlt's career PPG, RPG and BPG were probably similar to Russell's.

If that be the case, I'm looking for some reasonable argument why Wilt would <b>not</b> have won all those championships that Russell did had Wilt been the Celt instead of Russell.

The draft rights to Russell were acquired for a couple of veteran players and some commmitment dates on The Ice Capades in St. Louis-- not as good as the Babe Ruth trade but still pretty colorful!

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They played before my time, but the numbers certainly don't bear that out, at least points-wise. Russell never averaged 19+ ppg; Wilt averaged 20+ the first 12 years of his career, including the 50 ppg year, and ended up averaging over 30 for his career.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if russell would have been on a selfish team of scrubs he still would've won many championships.

basketball being a team sport means that the team who plays together the best has the best shot a winning, no matter who plays. bill would've led by example. i doubt anyone can be selfish for long playing with russell.

wilt on the other hand might have made those players selfish...after all, he was.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Easy to win all those championships surrounded by great talent. Russell won with a million hall of fame teammates. He shot poorly from the field and the line, and his rebounding was made easier by not shouldering much of an offensive load. He was basically a cross between Dikembe Mutombo and Dennis Rodman, if those guys had played with Hall of Famers like Cousy and Havilcek and Sharman and Heinsonn and Ramsey and Sam Jones and KC Jones.

15. Cesar^Geronimo

50 ppg average !!!!

100 points in a single game !!!!

No other player could even dream of doing that.

16. lwong

lwong Contributing Member

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Wilts second championship team was a bunch of rag tags. But they won it all. His first team had been trying hard for years to dethrone the celts. They finally beat 'em. I think one year they had it won but Havlicek stole the ball! Of course I didn't know any of this, until last week, watching the nba channel, I learned a lot.