1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if the Lakers sign Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BEAT LA, May 14, 2011.

1. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Do you think he would make them contenders again? He would fit in nicely next to Kobe, and Odom who have no trouble dribbling the ball. Defenses wouldn't focus on him, so he would have no trouble playing well for them. Do you see him taking less money to play in LA?

Bynum
    Gasol / Odom
    Artest / Barnes
    Kobe / Brown
    Brooks / Blake

Fisher is 37 and he can't keep up with the point guards in NBA. I don't think they should bring him back. They would be smart if they traded him, and a first for a Chuck Hayes type center.

It would be interesting if they hired Rick Adelman. Props to Adelman for wanting to come back and coach the Rockets.:)

2. DJ

DJ Member

I think it's a good fit. Brooks wouldn't have to do as much ball-handling and can focus on what he likes to do: shooting open shots off of double teams.

3. AnthonyJFranks

That would be sick..

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Is he too much of a ball hog to fit in next to Kobe? Or would Artest keep him in check?

5. clippy

clippy Member

How do the Fakers sign anyone? They don't have any cap room. And if the CBA introduces a hard cap, they are completely screwed. Of course, Stern will probably find a loophole to keep his golden goose franchise contending when by all realistic measures they should be rebuilding now.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Would be a good move, regardless of what coach they bring in. Keep Fisher to mentor and get rid of Blake. I would not be surprised if they are targeting him after what he did to them in the playoffs. Same reason they're targeting Rick I'm sure.

7. NMS is the Best

Exactly. Not to mention Brooks is a restricted free agent. So I fully expect the Suns to match any MLE offer the Lakers make...

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Kobe would be good for Brooks.
    I know it sounds . . . strange but . .
    Kobe would reign in Brooks from some of his worse habits.

I think it would make Brooks better.
    I think that is a benefit of having a solid star . . .a lead horse
    Here Brooks tried to be the Leader . . . he was not ready yet

As a rocket fan . . . Would not like. . .

Rocket River

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

First of all, I think the chances of this are < 1%

But saying that happens, im wondering if Kobe wants to throw him under a bus or make the adjustment to handling the ball less. I say this cause sharing the ball isnt one of Kobe's strengths, and it isnt one of AB's either. If AB shoots a high percentage and dishes enough....I can see the Lakers benefiting. Otherwise, not so sure.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a great idea. That would be a KILLER upgrade for the Lakers

And I might become a fan of my most despised team in the league!

11. thething

thething Contributing Member

If he plays the same way he did for the Rockets this past season, then he would not help the Lakers.

If he plays like he has in previous seasons, it would be a huge upgrade for the Lakers.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Despite my hate for Brook's playing style, I agree he would fit and complement the Laker's current roster well. However, their backcourt defense will still be an issue what with Kobe's aging. But there will be a huge improvement in the offense.

13. showtang043

showtang043 Member

lakers win because of defense, brooks has horrible D. I don't see how he would be of use unless an off the bench scorer

14. lionaire

lionaire Member

I'd be really happy for Brooks if this happened.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have talked about that in other threads, but it would be a great signing by LA, and then bring in Adelman....yeah, they would be right there again.

DD

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

they make their defensive hole at PG even just bigger.

#16 REEKO_HTOWN, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't think the Lakers are in rebuilding mode for at least another year or two. You just have to move one of the three bigs for a more athletic player. Bynum or Pau for Iggy would probably make them a lot better team. They could also do Bynum for Howard and be set for a while. People expecting the Lakers to allow themselves to go into full rebuilding mode anytime soon are going to be very disappointed.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm all for it because it would make them worse.

Taking shot away from Kobe. Where do I sign?

19. DragonGirl

DragonGirl Member

I would suggest Brooks to accept qualifying offer from Suns if he feels he can earn more than MLE contract after a year to play in good health. From what I read around here, Brooks must have been your hero star player at one time who would get much more than MLE. But I still watched Suns games because I love Steve Nash and Grant Hill, and Brooks was terrible in Phoenix.

Suns will match MLE offer from Lakers just to not give Brooks to a division rival. But if Brooks takes one year qualifying offer from Suns, he can play for better contract and then go to whatever team for starting position he prefers.

20. Roxs-Redemption

Good for Brooks.