1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if Jordan was available for trade?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hottoddie, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

What teams would step up & what would they offer that would be acceptable to Washington? After all, Jordan is showing that he still has his skills & would most definitely push a team, that needs that one extra piece, over the top. To top it off, he only costs $1 mill towards the cap, which would make him easy to trade, unlike Malone's $17.5 million. Toronto has stated that they'd definitely be interested (see article below). Washington has reportedly been trying to trade Jahidi White & this would be a great opportunity to include him in any deal with Jordan.

Since, Jordan can't carry the team by himself & it appears that the younger players are just standing around watching him, accepting a trade would be another way that Jordan could help rebuild the Wizards. After all, he's got a vested interest in the team improving.

I would have to assume that the Wizards would want a combination of promising young talent & draft picks in any trade, while dumping White. Here's a couple of trades & even one that would involve Houston, which there is no way I'd do. I didn't try any multi-team trades, which would probably be the eventual deal (assuming that Washington really wanted to trade him). Anyone have some better scenarios?

Trade #1

Toronto trades: Dell Curry $2,100,000 to Washington
    Toronto trades: Morris Peterson $966,000 to Washington
    Toronto trades: Keon Clark $1,971,116 to Washington
    TOTAL: $5,037,116

Washington trades: Michael Jordan $1,000,000 to Toronto
    Washington trades: Jahidi White $4,413,375 to Toronto (BYC Value $3,310,031)
    TOTAL: $5,413,375

TRADE ACCEPTED

Trade #2

Orlando trades: Mike Miller $2,494,080 to Washington
    Orlando trades: Troy Hudson $590,850 to Washington
    Orlando trades: Steven Hunter $1,244,880 to Washington
    TOTAL: $4,329,810

Washington trades: Jahidi White $4,413,375 to Orlando (BYC Value $3,310,031)
    Washington trades: Michael Jordan $1,000,000 to Orlando

TRADE ACCEPTED

Trade #3 No way I do this deal!

Houston trades: Oscar Torres $332,817 to Washington
    Houston trades: Jason Collier $1,280,040 to Washington
    Houston trades: Terence Morris $490,000 to Washington
    Houston trades: Eddie Griffin $2,011,080 to Washington
    Houston trades: Kenny Thomas $946,920 to Washington
    TOTAL: $5,060,857

Washington trades: Michael Jordan $1,000,000 to Houston
    Washington trades: Jahidi White $4,413,375 to Houston (BYC Value $3,310,031)

TRADE ACCEPTED

Orlando could offer several #1 picks, since they are loaded with them. Any other ideas? Portland, Sacramento, Dallas or whomever? Here's the article that gave me the idea of this thread.

http://insidedenver.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_899003,00.html

Raptors would like to acquire Jordan

By The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The Toronto Raptors already have All-Star forward Vince Carter, who's often touted as the next Michael Jordan. Now Raptors president Richard Peddie wouldn't mind adding the original Jordan.
    If the Wizards ever consider trading Jordan, whose return to the NBA hasn't helped Washington end its losing ways, Peddie wants first crack at the five-time Most Valuable Player.

"Of course you take Michael," Peddie said during a recent interview at his Air Canada Centre office. "For a million bucks, that's a heck of a deal."

Jordan signed a two-year contract with the Wizards for about $1.2 million a year, making him the NBA's best bargain, said New Jersey Nets president Rod Thorn. Jordan made $33 million during his final season with the Chicago Bulls, the team he led to six NBA titles.

Peddie isn't the only NBA executive who said he'd jump at the chance to acquire Jordan, 38, who is still capable of dominating a game.

"I imagine there'd be quite a bit of interest in Michael," said Orlando Magic general manager John Gabriel.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

There is no way. He revitalized a sagging franchise. That's how committed he was to getting this team back on the map. Trade?No way. He wants to play here. The owner wants him here.

3. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

That's actually a good and fair trade.

4. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Actually his desire to improve the franchise is the biggest reason he should be traded. Jordan is not going to get the Wizards to the finals or even the playoffs in the next two years. If, however, he were traded for a couple of good young players then the team would be helped much more when they need it.

I would be surprised if Jordan is not traded this year.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If the Rockets traded Griffin for Jordan I would cease being a Rocket fan.

6. Hottoddie

I would definitely question their sanity. I was just using us an example of what Washington would want for Jordan.

7. Hottoddie

Phi,

I have to somewhat disagree with you. He hasn't revitalized the team. He's just revitalized his fans. People are just coming out to see him play this year for one last time. I'd be willing to bet that next year, the attendance around the league drops back to their normal levels, even though he'll still be playing.

If he really wants to put the Wizards back on the map & into the playoffs, then accepting a trade to a contending team would do just that. If he ever wants to be considered a great executive, then he's going to have to make the tough decisions & the first one is to trade himself.

The notion that he wants to teach the players is a bunch of bull to me. He could've done that as the head coach or an assistant coach, without having to give up his share of the team (I think that's right, but I'm not sure what the league rules are on that matter).

So, it comes down to two things, either he's playing again so that he can be traded to help the team or he's playing again for his own personal desire to be back in the limelight.

Jordan can't carry the team by himself, so there is no way that I can see him helping this team long term, except through a trade. With a multi-team trade the Wizards could load up on good young talent & draft picks to rebuild their team with, similar to the way the Clippers have. But, then again, this makes too much sense to me, so it'll probably not happen.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I think you make some valid points. The comments about teaching the younger teammates is a cover for simply wanting to play again. We agree. He loves the game. And he knows it. I don't think he wanted the limelight at all. He could have gotten the limelight in Chicago. He could have gotten that in New York. Instead, he came to Washington. Perhaps he felt an obligation to the team he owned. Perhaps not. Personally, I think he wanted a Challenge. So Mike chose Washington, but he didn't come back for the sparkle. No. Not at all. The point is made by observing Sir Charles. Barkely is always asking the media to get off Mike's back. Do you think Charles is just saying that? Not likely. That is coming from Michael himself. Barkely is simply an instrument for what Michael want's to say. He doesn't want the coverage. He just wants to play ball, but his comeback was about much more than that.

Although it would appear that Michael is holding the kids back. That's not true. Those kids are learning from him. Night and Day. On and off the court. Winning is mental. All the players have talent, but what he is teaching them is more important than driving to the basket, and shooting jumpers. He is showing them how to win. You can't teach that. You must feel it. You must experience it. And even the great hottodie must admit, the wizards are going to win more games than last year. Richard and Kwame will learn from that. Even if they don't realize it.

You were right about the fans. He revitalized them. But that's all part of it. That's how you revitalize the players and the franchise. Losing is a habit. It's a habit for the players, the fans, and the city. The fans have brought a great deal of energy to the team because of Mike. The kids are learning from that. And they are learning how to deal with the problems the fan's can bring. They are learning how to play in hostile environments. It's all coming together nicely. It will take some time, but we have momentum. The players have it. The city has it. The fans have it. And that type of momentum can snowball very quickly if you let it.

As far as a trade, yes, that would help the Wizards aquire some talent. No doubt, but they can aquire much more than that if they learn how to win. Michael brings that. The new atmosphere was very much needed. Great players will look at Washington and say, hey, they've got some fans and they've got some energy. It might be a fun place to play.

Yes. Players will come here. Indeed. They will come here and they will play to win. All because a guy named Michael revitalized a franchise.

#8 PhiSlammaJamma, Dec 7, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2001
  9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I know. I was just stating my feeling if that trade was to actually take place.