1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if Ariza becomes a poor man's TMAC? (that can play D)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch City1993, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What if Ariza becomes a poor man's Horry? (that can play D) fixed*

He's only 24....

Morey isn't dumb. We all know he has an eye for talent (brooks, landry, possibly JT next season).

This dude gots alot of upside and he's going into a great offensive system with no ball stoppers.

That's just my guess...I think this is the biggest amount Morey has signed a player for thus far...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4fqDqY0bPrE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4fqDqY0bPrE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8mAajbn6O_M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8mAajbn6O_M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Kobe: ''It's like losing my little brother.''

#1 Clutch City1993, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he has ZERO playmaking skills. he'll be a way better version of shane battier though.

3. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

McGrady had a jumpshot off the dribble, had unlimited range, could handle the ball and initiate the offense, had a back to he basket game, and could score on isolation plays back when he was 24 years old. Let me know when ariza develops half of those skills. i'll give him till he's 29, when his contract with the rockets is over (assuming he's still here).

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

God. There's few things more annoying than when people just assume players can develop ball handling skills like McGrady's over a few years. It happens every year in the draft with a wide variety of raw, athletic wings.

Tracy McGrady came into the NBA handling the basketball like a point guard. He was starting at point guard by the 2nd half of his last year with Toronto.

Please stop underestimating that.

5. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

No he's not and never will be.
    He could be an upgrade over Battier though.

6. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had no idea.....

And no he can't dribble like Tracy but he makes up for it with his D. Im not saying he's a similar player in sense of form.......just somebody who could help with the offensive load.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

He'll do his share by spotting up or scoring easy baskets in transition. He can also slash at times.

But forget about him ever doing anything like Tracy McGrady, meaning pulling up in his man's face in either direction, hitting turnarounds from 19 feet out, doing basically anything he wanted off the dribble, whenever he wanted....

Not to single you out, but people just assume that young players can just suddenly develop ball handling abilities with just a little bit of practice when I have yet to see even one example of this in the entire NBA. Generally speaking, if you're a wing player and you can't create your own shot off the dribble by the time you come into the NBA, it's never going to happen.

8. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

nah, he's not even a panhandler's version.........if you makes up for something with his D then that makes him less like tmac doesnt it?

he's just a bigger more athletic version of bruce bowen.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...I think the likelihood of that is the same as if he were to bulk up and become a poor man's Shaq. You should spend more time studying Ariza's game and determining where his strengths are and less trying to make a case for him becoming someone he will never become.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tmac and poor man don't go together.

Ariza is a role player. I'm still waiting for the big one to happen.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Ariza was wide open against the Nuggets, because they were focused on Kobe.

If he depends on another player being Kobe/T-Mac for his offense, he is not the next T-Mac.

12. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

So true, Can Trevor thrive without having an All star attracting double teams? Can He create his own shot knowing that He is probably going to be the first option and the defense would be focused on stopping him?

13. Pringles

Pringles Member

Tracy was a great defensive player when he was with Toronto.

His length and athleticism made it easy for him to defend well.

Of course, he started getting bad habits, like not fully defending the cutters or not putting your hands up while closing on a shooter.

14. FR0497

FR0497 Member

And despite popular opinion, T-Mac CAN play very good D when inspired (though very very rare that this is the case).

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The only comparison between the two is that both when they both played for Orlando they wore number 1 and can throw down some hard dunks. It stops there. I'd be very surprised if he became a poor mans Tmac.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ariza is very much like a young James Posey. T-Mac is actually the poor mans version of T-Mac. :D Good T-Mac played defense, checkout the Dallas series.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Is it just me, or does Trevor Ariza look sort of like Jamie Foxx?

I don't know why, but every time I see him, I get that Jamie Foxx look in my head.

18. bjshot

bjshot Member

He's a poor man Horry.

19. tomato

tomato Member

I remember a year or two ago there was a thread called something like Trevor Ariza - The Next T-Mac

20. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

Sad thing is, Ariza wasnt a shooter before the Lakers. He was a slasher throughout most of his career.