1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if an NBA team played video game style?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Feb 4, 2017.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

A lot of us here play basketball simulators, especially NBA 2k17. It ends up being super high scoring with chucking tons of shots and usually using a fraction of the 24sec shot clock and not much defense.

So I was wondering, what if an NBA team tried to play video game style? Would it work somewhat? Which coach or team has attempted to play this way?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I always play completely the opposite against computers, by playing ultra slow, eating as much clock as possible and scoring at the last possible second, then making sure I have the ball last. Computers are bad at clock management. They are programmed to score when they can. This works especially well in football.

Humans don't get it either. But sometimes figure it out after watching me.

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

most people either drive and kick for open shots or try tear the rim off right. Defense is an afterthought. Sounds like Houston to me. Hp's method is too well thought out and calculated. He wouldn't stand a chance against all the 15 yr olds on Xbox live :)

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nah, it can work if you do it right. Had 40+ game winning streaks on Xbox 360 (think NBA 2k12 or 11) and won vs. top 5 players (this was with Memphis, I've been a huge beast back with them back in the day).
    Have also been world top 200 with the kick and drive approach though, this was with the Rockets in earlier 2ks.

Stopped playing 2k after 2k15, jacking up 3s got out of control online and the manual defense became too unresponsive.

#4 Yung-T, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Jontro and CallMeTheDream like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

flopping hardly ever worked in 2k. so i quit after like 2k15

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I remember it being out of control one year, people would basically full-court charge all game and it'd be very successful.

It was a nice way of punishing guys that tried to mindlessly run&gun each play tho.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Watch the Nuggets of late 80s / early 90s and that's as closest to it from teams I've seen.