1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What homecourt advantage looks like

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Apr 14, 2018.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Relocate it to Shanghai, Spain, Lithuania, anywhere where Basketball is watched, full house.

Go global!

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Throw a dollar hot dog night during the playoffs and watch the city burn! Bet it fills up early.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So true. I think the vibe was fine but unimpressive.

That’s so true though about third quarter people being in lines still for food. Nutso

I was Lower bowl and my whole role was empty five minutes into the third quarter except me and the two guys next to me

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I would not consider a Sunday night game as a weekend. A 'weekend' game would be one in which there was no school or work the next day.

You can't punish the season ticket holders for not attending regular season games. They are the backbone of your ticket base. My wife and I own Twins season tickets. That's 81 games. We swap with the guy next to us so we end up with 4 tickets to 40 games. We probably attend 15. We donate the remaining 25 or so games to charitable organizations. Using your logic, we should be punished.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yep this is typical. If I'm hungry, I'll usually get up about the 2 minute mark before the second quarter ends and the place is a ghost town. Usually, I'm back on my seat when there is about 10 minutes left for the 2nd half to start.

People in this thread need to understand that we just don't have the die-hard fan base we think we have. I don't know if Tilman cares if the corporate people are drinking wine all night long if he is getting a lot of money for these seats. If the Rockets were truly hurting, I could see them lowering the price to sell tickets, but I don't see anyone caring. Suck it up posters and just pay premium prices for seats or stop b****ing. For the record, I am upset that they did away with bidding on flash seats, total bs.

justtxyank likes this.
  6. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

I wonder what the average ticket price is compared to other teams? I'm priced out of the lower bowl. Those tickets are so expensive and I get a better view on my big TV than the rafters. We are so good, I am sure people would rather see the 2nd round, maybe they're holding out for that? We're supposed to go through the first round team like tissue paper so I can understand people not wanting to fork out so much for this series, but it looks like Minnesota is going to be a tough out. Should be some good games.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

You wouldn't get punished necessarily- and while I may not agree with the basketball and baseball comparison (Nearly double the games and the timing of baseball games in the afternoon during the week etc) if you are giving the tickets away to friends or charity - someone is still attending the game with your tickets. I think the Rockets do give a small gift for Season Ticket holders for attending every game - even if they do not their account's tickets get scanned. What I am talking about the companies or people who do not give the tickets away and no one shows up to the game at all. These are empty seats.

If they gave them away to folks/charities that do attend then that will still count as them attending and wouldn't hurt their chances of getting playoff tickets. Again this was just a possible solution I put out there, its not effecting sales for the Rockets of course, but it is effecting the perception and branding for the team. Tilman as a businessman should care more for that (especially after he just bought it for 2B) so I am hoping he implements some sort of strategy to make up for the poor way the TC was built.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I will guarantee that the vast majority of companies give the tickets to someone. Now, whether or not that someone chooses to go is another story.

Once the tickets are out of my hand, I have no control if someone is physically at that game.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So you're saying you're not a real fan. Real fans go to games and don't make excuses because their too poor or too good to sit in the upper level.

ElPigto likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

dont lookup tix for GS. you might faint

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

And that's when the Timberwolves went on a 9-0 run to take the lead. I'm telling ya man! When the team has sluggish starts to the games....sluggish starts to the half....getting to the game and getting in your seat to be loud really matters.

That's why I really liked back when Tom Herman was UH's football coach, and he put the whole city & Coog Nation on blast, essentially saying to 'do better, get to the game, support our team.' It worked. The fans rallied and attendance went up. Of course now I hate Tom cause he coaches some other team in Austin, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm a competitive person. I don't want Red Nation to be outdone by ANY other fan base, let alone the obnoxious friggen Dub Nation. That said, and I said this last night in the game thread, I'm super proud of the home crowd last night. Yeah there were some empty seats at tip off, but not nearly as bad as it has been in the past. And everyone was loud and on their feet right from the get go. I can't wait to do the same Wednesday night. Hopefully I will still have a voice Thursday.

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I think someone last year paid over $100,000 for a courtside seat during one of the Finals games at the Oracle.

I've been to the Oracle once. It has Summit vibes, being an old small arena. Lots of people drive to the game from a spread out area. Like for us it was from San Jose, which was well over an hour. And btw, I'm not a Warriors fan. I have family out there. I got a brother-in-law I borderline almost stopped talking to cause he lived the championship years having grown up in Houston, and now that he lives in the Bay Area, he turncoated to the Dubs. And I'm going to give him so much s**t when we beat the Warriors and go all the way.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

and their season ticket waiting list has actually gone over the number of actual seats at oracle

14. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

I think part has to be that people believe the Rockets will roll the T-Wolves (it is 1 vs 8) and that attendance and promptness will be there for rounds 2, WCF and Finals

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

Then how do you explain game 6 against the spurs last post season?

16. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

we still weren't expected to win it all, this year is different

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

It was very solid, crowd was into it and they were loud.

18. justtxyank

So attendance is only expected when we are favored to win the whole thing AND only during the actual WCF and Finals?

Why don't other teams have this problem?

mario_v likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

the place was like 30-40% full at tip in both the upper and lower bowls, but it did fill out as the game went on

I thought the crowd was good and got pretty loud at times...however, a ton of people in the lower bowl started heading out with 2 minutes left in the game

ryano2009 likes this.
  20. justtxyank

Yeah somehow I've been cast as ragging on the crowd last night and I'm not. It was fine. Like I said, fine, not impressive.

The exodus did start early. I'm glad though, made it easier to get out when the game ended.

ryano2009 likes this.