1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What has been Morey's biggest mistakes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Mar 22, 2012.

1. SugarLandDream8

I know a lot of people think Morey can do no wrong - in Morey we trust. But he hs made some BIG errors. Here are a few that come to mind. Add more if I missed any. In no particular order.

1. He gave a washed up Steve Francis a decent contract. Morey said himself this was a big mistake.

2. He gave David Andersen a decent contract.

3. He cut Lin.

4. He didn't keep JL3

5. He didn't get Les to hire Coach Thibs.

6. He called his players "assets" which had a big backlash

7. His strategy to land a free agent in the summer of 2010 was a complete failure.

8. He didn't draft Iman Shumpert.

9. He doesn't want to tank (debatable if it is a mistake) the last 3 seasons.

Is Morey the great GM some of us think he is or is he over-rated?

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Shumpert? Shumpert might be the worst offensive starting guard in the NBA. He's a scrub.

3. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

I think he's a fantastic GM, but that doesn't mean he hasn't made mistakes. The way I see it, I don't see any better alternatives.

4. SugarLandDream8

Iman is one of the best defender in the league against 1 and 2 guards. He's also one of the best dunker in the NBA and many believe he will take over Landry Field's starting spot very soon. Shump is a key rotation guy for NY.

While Marcus Morris doesn't play at all for Hou.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

You are so correct. If only Morey had your 20/20 hindsight, the Rockets would have hoisted several championships now with our mighty PG duo of Lin and JL3.

And who could forget how Brooks, Landry, Ariza, etc. all became all-stars after shedding their label as assets under Morey.

1 person likes this.
  6. King901

King901 Member

The 1st rounder for Twill should be in there somewhere

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It is a credit to DM that those are the worst things you can come up with. David Anderson's contract, not keeping JL3, calling players assets ; these things are so insignificant.

To your list I might add the Bonzi Wells or Ariza signing, but again those things ended up not making much difference.

8. SugarLandDream8

J-Lin's avg the last 24 games

19.21 PPG, 45.11 FG%

7.96 APG

3.88 RPG

2.08 STLPG

4.5 TOPG

You think Lin would not get any PO with Lowry hurt and Dragic being the only PG on the team? Many people in the league thinks Lin is better than both Dragic and Lowry

9. SugarLandDream8

If J-Lin becomes a superstar which is a possibility will you still say it's insignifcant? If DRose is hurt in the PO and JL3 is the Bulls PG and plays a key role in a Chicago deep playoff run or title will it still be insignificant?

10. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Even those who are successful make mistakes...

He took some gambles with the 09ers... some of their issues could have been scouted better...but that is why they call it a gamble.

In general, we probably couldn't do better for a GM

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't care how good his defense is or how high he can jump. He's a huge liability in every area of his game other than 1 on 1 defense. He's like Courtney Lee, if Courtney Lee shot like Chuck Hayes and jacked up way more shots to boot.

I am so, so glad we didn't draft him.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

if if if......

Rose going down and the Bulls still make a deep playoff run? cmon.

13. poing

poing Member

I call shenanigans. Cite your sources or don't make such vague generalized claims.

Also, despite the fact that Lin is now thriving with the Knicks, Morey's move was 100% not a mistake considering all factors at the time he was cut. Claiming it as a mistake in hindsight is being incredibly result oriented. You go through life making the best choices possible based on information available to you in the moment. Just because you didn't get the best result doesn't mean you didn't make the best decision.

14. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

only blatant mistake IMO... Dorsey over Jordan pick was another brought up but T-Will was a chance worth the risk at the time...desperate to find a star in the rough... i completely agree w this assessment below

Originally Posted by SugarLandDream8
    I know a lot of people think Morey can do no wrong - in Morey we trust. But he hs made some BIG errors. Here are a few that come to mind. Add more if I missed any. In no particular order.

1. He gave a washed up Steve Francis a decent contract. Morey said himself this was a big mistake.

might have been some organizational pressure there. he got what, bi annual exception? and he did have some ok games. it was a risk.

2. He gave David Andersen a decent contract.

again, took a risk on a international big that could stretch the floor. we needed bigs then too.

3. He cut Lin.

flynn had a huge contract, plus lin is not anywhere near better than lowry or dragic. he STILL would not be playing.

4. He didn't keep JL3

he kept him longer than anyone else before he settle in chicago. he was on rgv forever. and he was not very impressive in limited minutes in a rockets uniform.

5. He didn't get Les to hire Coach Thibs.

agree here... but I think les has as much to do with this as anyone. maybe Thibs didn't want to come back here.

6. He called his players "assets" which had a big backlash

overblown.. do you know how many GMs have called players assets before? its not even a bad term. its used in businesses referring to people ALL THE TIME. the backlash was r****ded, and not his fault.

7. His strategy to land a free agent in the summer of 2010 was a complete failure.

who wants to come to houston? for real?

8. He didn't draft Iman Shumpert.

Vuvecic I get. Faried I get. but Shumpert? a PG? seriously?

9. He doesn't want to tank (debatable if it is a mistake) the last 3 seasons.

organizational pressure. this is completely Les' doing.

Is Morey the great GM some of us think he is or is he over-rated?

15. BHannes2BHonest

Who needs Shumperts D when we got Parsons?

Also, Marcus has a bigger development curve... his time will come

16. BHannes2BHonest

and Courtney Lee's D against 2's... you must be SugarLand Dreamin... Shumpert...:rolleyes:

17. SugarLandDream8

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/02/13/players-of-the-week/index.html

Please show me where Dragic won NBA player of the week. Also does Dragic or Lowry have the stats Lin has put up since he started getting playing time.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Isn't Shumpert starting before them both?? :p

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Was he the gm that traded rudy gay? or was he not out gm at the time? but if that was him then that and Jlin, but you really can't blame him for those.

20. SugarLandDream8

Ok I guess most Rockets fans think Morey is great and has hardly made any mistakes or insignificant ones. Got my answer. Thanks.

In Morey we Trust it is.