1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

what happens when someone gets drafted goes back to school?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by MykTek, Jun 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. MykTek

MykTek Member

so, i see in some mock drafts we are gonna pick Ike Diogu....he has yet to hire an agent, so he can go back to school....so what happens if we do pick him...and after the draft he goes back to school...do we get another pick the following yr at the same spot? or is there a point of no return....? b/c i remember a pg from cincy that came out early and got drafted in the 2nd round...and he went back to school.... i don't remember what happened?.... anyone remember/know?

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

We retain his rights until 1 year after his senior year. I've seen two newspapers write this explanation for highschoolers.

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

If I'm not mistakes, there is a deadline that the draftees have to withdraw their name for consideration. If they don't pull their name out by that deadline, there's no going back no matter if they have an agent or not.

I believe that deadline was last week some time.

4. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

^^^
    that's not the case. as long as amatuer doesn't sign an agent he can go back to school and the team who drafted him retains their rights for either 1 or 2 years i'm not sure. but cj miles who we've talked about on here is in the same situation. if diogu or miles (or any other player without an agent) don't want to play for whatever reason next year in the nba they can go back (or to) school and the team who drafted them retains their rights for at least one year but i believe if they are a first round pick it's longer, between 2 to 3 years.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I thought someone posted that NCAA eligibility rules say that once drafted, you cannot return and play. At least that applies to people currently in school, aka not high schoolers.

6. MykTek

MykTek Member

like i said in my post, i remember a pg from cincy that was drafted in the 2nd round going back to school....and then he got drafted the next yr in the 2nd round again i think.....

7. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Players do not lose their college eligibility by declaring for the draft on the initial date; however, if they stay in the draft at the final declaration date, they lose further college eligibility, whether or not they are drafted.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/history/nbadraft.htm

8. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

then maybe it only applies to high schoolers which doesn't make any sense but when does anything the ncaa does make sense???

9. micah1j

micah1j Member

must only be highschoolers. The things I read applied to CJ Miles going to UT if he was not a first rounder and Andrew Bynum saying he would go to UConn if he was not top 14.

10. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I think that these guys are saying if they are not projected as first round or lottery picks, then they'll go to school. If you put your name in the draft and don't withdraw, then you are in the draft, and are not eligible to play college ball. Otherwise every good high school player in the country would put their name in, just to see if they are drafted.

11. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

^^^
    this was on outside the lines like 2 weeks ago. a high schooler can actually enter the draft like a lot of europeans do, get drafted and not play the next year in the NBA. the team retains the rights until they actually decide to play in the league.