1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Grade do you give the Lou Williams trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Feb 21, 2017.

?

What do Grade do you give this trade?

1. A+

42.7%
  2. A

42.8%
  3. B

12.9%
  4. C

0.9%
  5. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. F

0.7%
  1. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Brewer and Williams are the same age. Both born in 86' and both 30 years old.
    They're both on virtually the same contract both expiry date and $$'s.
    So aside from us giving up a pick (a late pick at that), this deal is excellent when you look at the on court production from Williams compared to Brewer. Not much not to like about this trade.
    Just hope Morey ain't done and gets another rebounding big!

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Williams is most valuable as injury insurance , not that we can contend without one of our big 3 guards.... But , if one happens to miss a few a games then it helps us not slide catastrophicly.

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Unloading Brewer deserves A+, the rest is extra credit. I understand Lakers getting a 1st pick, but I don't get why take Brewer instead of KJ, or Ennis.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the only reason i can't give this an A is because i wish the upgrade was at a position of need like C, SF, or even PF... but he's a hell of a scorer, perfect fit, good contract, and came at a cheap price. so i have to say B or B+.

da_juice likes this.
  5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

We gave up the worst player in the NBA for a 6th man of the year candidate, who was the leading scorer of his team and shoots near 40% from three to a team that shoots a ridiculous amount of three's every one of our players but the centers can now shoot above average at 3. That's an A+. My biggest criticism of Morey is that he transitioned us into a 3 point team without having the shooters or coach. Well he has that. My only problem with him is that we didn't get a real center this past summer. But I think overall Morey deserves an A+ for this trade at least. We have work to do still but we plugged up a sewer hole with this one. :)

Fawkward and smoothie like this.
  6. Newlin

Newlin Member

They took what we offered. Highly unlikely we offered KJ or Ennis. Morey desperately wanted to move Brewer, and he did. Hey Lakers, you want our first round pick? You have to take Brewer off our hands.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

great trade, i agree, but my point is that we still have holes at SF and C to address. but i guess you gotta take a good deal when you see one, regardless of what holes you still have to plug. IMO if we got a great deal AND filled a need at SF or C it would've been an A. getting a great deal at a position you didn't really need is a B+.

either way, we made a great trade!

da_juice and Rodman23 like this.
  8. Remlap

Remlap Member

Short article on Dream Shake

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2017/2...de-deadline-corey-brewer-magic-johnson-lakers

I ESPECIALLY loved the closing of this article:
    "For the Lakers, it seems like there could have been better deals floating around the league. Washington and Charlotte both expressed interest in Williams and have better draft picks to offer.

If this trade is any indication of the next phase of the Lakers organization with Magic Johnson calling the shots, I’d be pretty concerned if I was a Laker fan.

Johnson has been around the league for more 30 years, but he is fresh meat to veteran general managers like Daryl Morey.

Morey just stole the new kid’s lunch money on his first day of school"

MajorSeanBond likes this.
  9. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

This is an A. Brewer was one the worst players in the NBA and while the 1st round pick is valuable, 18 points per game valuable, not in many trades. I do believe Houston has a few more tricks up their sleeve, but either way they are a better team now than they were a day ago.

Remlap likes this.
  10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think guard was a much bigger need over a center.

I know we want one of those (myself included) but we needed guard depth badly.

We are three guys who had to play 96min at pg/sg and 2 of them get dinged up and miss games from time to time.

I did want a wing player but honestly from a talent standpoint we weren't getting a better player than Lou Williams for brewer and a late pick.

I wonder if there is any chance Andrew bogut gets bought out?

That would make this team legit and imo the 2nd best team out west and very close to the Cavs team.

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400900077

12. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Did not vote in poll. Jury is still out until I see them work together on the court.

Just removing Brewer is at least a B by itself. I'm not to happy the 1st wasn't used for a position
    of greater need (Rim protecting Center/SF-Wing.....imo)

I like some stats provided by this article and Adam Wexler tweet.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ockets-lakers-receive-corey-brewer-draft-pick

Lou Williams: Catch-n-Shoot 3's: 39.6%
    Pull Up Shooting: 37.4%
    Iso: 1.07 ppp (86.1 NBA percentile)
    4th Quarter Scoring: 5Th in NBA
    Adam Wexler tweet: Lou Williams is 50.9% on corner 3's
    Good contract

Grade of B can/will improve upon results of collaboration on the court. Many would have given the
    Ty Lawson trade a grade of A+ originally for its potential....until it failed. So the Rockets currently
    have PG/SG positions secure with rotation of: Harden/Bev/Gordon/L-Will. I don't need Ariza to
    help out as backup SG unless we face a big SG like Butler.

Hopefully Morey can address SF & Center depth w/remaining assets of Chinanu/KJ/Ennis/Wiltjer
    & rights to foreign players & future draft picks. This is a good sign Morey may decide to go all in.
    After saying he probably wouldn't use a first rd pick until the offseason, to now pulling the trigger.
    It never made sense to me to use the first rd pick to move Brewer after the season rather than now.
    I'm sure it was verbiage as a negotiation tactic.

Edited Later: Lou Williams 51.3% (Lt corner 3 on 0.8 3PA/gm).....55.0% (Rt corner 3 on 0.4 3PA/gm)
    35.2% (above the break 3 on 4.4 3PA/gm)

http://stats.nba.com/players/shooting/#!?Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular Season&DistanceRange=By Zone

Brewer minus 0% everywhere.

#72 Jatman20, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  13. caneks

caneks Rookie

My question for this trade is how many points Lou Williams will score? with how many FGA? Brewer had only 3.9 per game, meaning the offensive impact from this trade is limited. I do not think this trade would improve the defense of this team, either. Considering the first round pick, I am not a fan for this trade.

Jatman20 likes this.
  14. abaker28

abaker28 Member

I didn't think we'd have anyone taking Brewer, so any trade this period I expected to be KJ, Ennis, Harrell or Dekker.
    To get an upgrade on Brewer and adding depth, I think we still have enough in the cupboard to trade for a center.
    Certainly not expecting a starter like a Cousins, Drummond type, but someone to add depth and hopefully strength to at least compete for rebounds.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A

Our first round pick would not be near as good for years, especially picking around 26, and getting rid of Brewer and his contract for next year....HUGE.

DD

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I give this trade and A+

TheMystery008 likes this.
  17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

A++++++++++

18. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

The Rockets turned a 27th first round pick and Corey Brewer into Lou Williams. I'm inclined to give this trade a B grade because it didn't address any of our most critical needs, but I upgrade it to an A because we no longer have Brewer and Williams is a team friendly contract and will be easy to package up and deal if things go south or if a better player comes available next year. It also means that Williams is now off the board and won't be going to Utah or Memphis, which would have really sucked for us.

da_juice, TheMystery008 and Jatman20 like this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Whatever he does he will add much more than Brewer ever did. Brewer would also pass up a lot of potential open shots because he was afraid to shoot which would screw up the offense. Sure Lou won't get as many FG attempts in Houston, but he will contribute a ton. He is already used to a backup role and he doesn't need the ball in his hands either. I don't understand how you could think swapping a very non-productive player for a very productive player that fits seemlessly is a bad thing. Morey was even able to save a bit too.

MajorSeanBond likes this.
  20. raining threes