1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does it take to trade for young aces with years of control?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by #TheBeard, Jul 7, 2015.

1. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

I was just wondering because I am relatively knew to baseball and was wondering what it would take to get a pitcher like Sonny Gray as opposed to going for a 1 year rental of Cueto or Kazmir.

I know about the rule 5 draft and thought that the best avenue would be to sell a big part of the farm to pick up a pitcher like Sonny Gray while still having enough prospects in the farm to round out the roster?

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'd imagine the answer is only slightly less than whatever you think it'd take for another team to get Correa.

3. Buck Turgidson

Hell, you never know, the chowds traded Babe Ruth for a Broadway musical.

4. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

5. Dankush

Dankush Member

Its Billy Beane, you can get him on the cheap the year before he is arbitration eligible

6. awc713

awc713 Member

Gray is a little more complicated because we're in the same division. I'd venture to say: Appel, Velazquez, Santana, Reed with one or two young guns like Bostick and/or Martes

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Young aces, no.... but young pitchers can possibly be had.

Luhnow was blown away from an offer for Cosart... Dan Haren was once traded by the Cardinals to get an "established" pitcher (Mulder).

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Cards traded Shelby Miller for Jason Heyward. He wasn't an ace but a very talented young pitcher. It happens but not often.

9. Major

Major Member

Yup - as Nick said, young pitchers but not young aces. What it would take for the Astros to have traded Keuchel last year (when the team sucked)? You trade young pitchers with potential, but almost never trade them after they've proven themselves.

10. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Kazmir , Cueto, Hamels are easier to get than Gray due to Kazmir & Cueto being rentals. Hamels is signed long term but hefty price. Gray is a beast with being young & cheap.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There is one potential caveat... When teams sign young pitchers to big deals and the team falls off a cliff... the suddenly cost-prohibitive ace can, sometimes, be available. I'm looking at you, Chicago White Sox.........

12. raining threes

What I would give up to get Sale? Appel/VV/Phillips/Kemp/Singleton.

He's probably not available though since he's signed to a reasonable longterm contract.

BTW, A catcher that can handle a staff, play decent defense and hit .250 would be a huge upgrade.

13. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Yeah, in 1919!! :rolleyes: