1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think will happen when PBev is back?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jan 11, 2014.

1. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

Just like Harden coming off the bench Thabo. Respect to both players but Lin is clearly the better player. Which makes him more valuable to the the 2nd unit than Beverly.

2. Neped

Neped Member

Patrick Beverley should start. His energy and defense is what the starting lineup needs. He's a great defender against those PNR offenses and Lin is a good playmaker which is needed for the second unit.

3. Crunchyball

Crunchyball Rookie

what will happen if lin starts when beg comes back?

4. FTW

FTW Member

open your eyes and watch the games. hate is not good for you, son.

5. visible

visible Member

Lin should be in starting lineup. He is way better than PB.

6. kastuul

kastuul Member

Lin's D is pretty the same as Bev., but he makes the offense better.

Howard need Lin to pass the ball in low post.
    Lin has good chemistry with Parsons, including fast-break and leading pass.

Bev. and Harden is undersized in their position respectively. They can't handle outside shooter.

7. lomahtw

lomahtw Member

IMO Mahale still prefers Bev over Lin. When Bev returns, he may come off the bench in his first couple of games or so, then eventually he will start on regardless of how Lin plays.

It seems that Lin will be traded or leave the Rockets inevitably. They will trade Lin when opportunities come out this year. If not, they will let him go after end of his contract for sure.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about who is better between Bev and Lin. Therefore I don't want to waste time to argue about it here. Time will tell sooner or later. What I want to say is that if Lin is played the way he is supposed to play, he should or will do a great job in the team. The good example is the game against Wizards a couple of days. He was played as the PG in the team and did what he was supposed to. It reminded us of how he was played when he was with the Knicks (plenty of videos online if you want to refresh your memory). Bare in mind that if Lin is played how he is supposed to play, it will not mean he will always help the team win (in reality it can't happen). However one thing for sure is that that will help the team win a lot more games and make the teamwork much better and smoother. In the game against Wizards, He has 8 assist when he played the PG. Please tell me when was the last time the Rockets had more than 8 assist from our PGs.

For extreme Lin fans, Lin haters and trolls here, there is no point arguing with them whether Lin is good or bad. On the other hand, for the Rocket fans and basket fans, we can/should take a moment to objectively think of whether Lin is good or bad. When you do so, it doesn't matter it is good or bad, it should all be understood and accepted.(like it or not) One more thing many other elite PGs in the league did take their first few years to develop to become one. Tony Parker, Steven Nash, even Chris Paul and more you name it.

8. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

False dichotomy. Even during this bad stretch of games Lin has played as good or better than Beverely has played all season.

It is true that the Rockets have missed Beverly, and Asik and Parsons. But to say the Rockets need Beverly on the team and are a better team with him is not the same as saying the Rockets need him to start.

Lastly, you are deliberately trolling to try and incite Lin fans. Beverely is a bench player, and if you were as objective as you claim to be, it would be obvious to you.

9. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Bev plays harder when he's off the bench. Lin plays harder when he's a starter.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets were playing better when Beverly started and Lin came off the bench. With Beverly hurt, Lin has done nothing to assert his right to the starting job. Therefore there is no reason to believe Beverly will not regain the starting job. The Rockets need Lin's offense off the bench.

It isn't about whether Lin or Beverly is a better player, it is about what is better for the Rockets. Stating reality is not trolling. As stated earlier, neither Lin nor Beverly are anything special as starters, Beverly just fits better starting on the Rockets.

11. ff1e08

ff1e08 Member

Why this tread turned to be Jlin vs PBev? They first thing come up in my mind is we will do much better with him back, I miss the time with Jlin as SG and PBev as PG.

12. AVoiceInACrowd

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to be able to express it. But the truth is that your opinion is just your opinion. The "reality" is that the Rockets are 12-6 when Lin starts and 6-4 when he comes off the bench. The Rockets are 15-9 when Beverley starts and 1-0 when he comes off the bench. The Rockets are 3-1 when Lin and Beverley start together.
    http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=201976
    http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html?PlayerID=202391

Even though the Rockets have a better record when Lin starts compared to when he comes off the bench, it doesn't prove that the Rockets are better with him as the starter (too many variables and too small a sample size). But, what it does prove is that it's not "reality" that it's better for the Rockets to have Beverley as the starter. It's only your opinion.

My opinion is that Beverley will regain the starting position. But, I feel that the Rockets would win more games with Lin as the starter. But, that's just my opinion.

13. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

We need a spark off the bench, that is why Bev will get the starting job back, and Lin will come off the bench

14. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

Even if Lin is a better player than Beverly, it make sense for Beverly to take the lions share of minutes. Due to his contract, Lin is not a long term option for the Rockets and will be traded, released or signed to another team as a free agent. It doesn't make sense to develop Lin anymore because he will likely be playing for the competition when his contract is finished or when he is traded.

The optimal way to use Lin off the bench, let him showcase his offense but don't let him build too much of a chemistry with the starters. He isn't going to be here after this season or next so he is basically like a Ronin, on his own.

15. makio9

makio9 Member

Although this view may not be McHales,

I think having Lin play the back up SG role is integral right now to this team.

That requires him coming off the bench and being a PG/SG.

If you know rotations you know why that's the only way!

16. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

It's apples and oranges.

You are comparing a situation when Beverely was starting and Lin was on the bench to when Lin is starting and Beverly is not playing. You need beverely on the bench and Lin starting to make a true comparison. You also need Parsons playing. He is the key missing ingredient, much more than Bev.

I agree with you that Lin hasn't made the most of his opportunity. However, that being said, his defense has been on par with Beverly's this season and he is the better offensive option.

Lin on the bench is only a good idea if you want Harden to be the primary point guard on the team. This is not a good option for the Rockets. I'm going to re-post what I said in another thread on this topic and why I believe Lin is a better FIT, but ONLY if he's going to play as the main PG.

If you're just going to hand it off to harden and spot up and be required to play defense, then there isn't much difference between Lin and Beverely in those roles, though Beverly has been shooting very poorly this season. Lin's shot has regressed also the last few games, but he has elite speed to attack the basket and can offer a threat where Beverely can not at the moment.

On the issue of why Lin starting is better for the team, this is my opinon:

Lin as the starting Point guard is what we saw vs the Wizards. Harden was playing much more off the ball. I think the team plays better basketball that way and Howard was also getting fed a lot. Beverly cannot do this.

1 person likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bev starts, and Lin assumes role as super 6 man.

Lin and Harden together = too many turnovers.

DD

18. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

You're using Lin as a back up shooting/combo guard in that role and while he is okay at it and will produce points for the team, I don't think it's the most effective way to use him.

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

When Beverley comes back Harden will continue to be the PG!...:mad:

20. ILoveWhiteGirls

bev come back, we go on 12 game winning streak. Rockets are dangerous team once again because we have everyone healthy back including Parsons. WATCH OUT NBA!!