1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Do You Think of the Sports Writers at the Houston Chronicle?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by solid, Nov 25, 2013.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I find the posts on ClutchFans much superior. I can't imagine that they have many signed up as paying customers. I am especially surprised that Harvey can make a living writing. Several posters on this board including Clutch are much, much better. What do you think?

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Feigen is alright. Everyone else is meh.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chronicle beat writers are usually good at reporting the facts. The writers that do opinion pieces tend to be bad.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

Feigen is my favorite rockets writer, he is as unbiassed as any KNOWN rockets sports writer & always comes with the info first that is usually converted to threads here after he releases info here

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Feigen does solid, straight-forward fact reporting. His twitter can be pretty funny (in a snarky way).

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Feigan is cool. He has a surprisingly witty Twitter account and knows his stuff.

7. Solaris

Solaris Member

I liked Jason Friedman's articles during the summer. haven't seen him write that much anymore though.

8. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Jason Friedman works for the Rockets, not the Chronicle. He writes a story for every game, and sometimes filler inbetween, available at Rockets.com.

He's suprisingly objective, considering he is a Rockets employee.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Generally pretty unimpressed with Solomon and McLain (sp.?)....Brain Smith is good though

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Feigen is okay.

Richard Justice was pretty good, but like all the other top guys, he left for new media.

Randy Harvey is the worst. Zero insights. He just regurgitates whatever the beat writer wrote and tries to make it funny without any success. Maybe he was a good reporter at one time, but I'm fairly certain that anyone with an English degree could do his job.

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Dial is ok but Feigan is good.Solomon is opponiated but most of the time he is wrong.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Solomon is awful.

13. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Feigen is good. Solomon just likes to cause controversy, his writing is ok. His show at noon on 97.5 is pretty funny but that's mostly because of Dave Tepper's racism.

14. fv court

fv court Member

I respectfully disagree. I think Feigan is completely without passion for the sport. There are only 30 beat writers for NBA teams, so it is a dream job. Aside from writing a lackluster game report, and a beginning of the season article, he does little else. Where are the Chron reader Q&As like John Mcclain does with the Texans?.....and he is hardly ever on the radio. As little as he does, I am surprised they needed to hire another writer. Other than that, he seems like a nice fellow.

15. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

I’d rather read Jonathan Feigan’s tweets than read his articles. He does give highlights of the Rockets post game interviews, but I’d rather watch them myself. Someone at Chronicle should conduct a survey to see if Solomon should continue to be employed. He is just an awful writer; I guess he has some dirt on a higher up editor. I’m undecided on Jenny Dial. Am I the only one that hates to see her RT Feigan, or he RT her? It is like they are sitting side by side retweeting each other all the time.

Jason Friedman had some good input and insight in his articles. I think he has been “restrained” since the Rockets were fined during free agency. His articles about the free agents were really good. I thought he is pretty good considering he is paid by the team.

Now, that said – I’ve seen the best opinions and writing here on ClutchFans. No doubt.

#15 OldYelllowDog, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed:grin:

17. tomato

tomato Member

Can somebody please post the photoshop some Chinese fans did with Feigen's face on a Chinese warrior? It's part of a series where a bunch of Rocket faces were put on those same guys that make up the whole Three Kingdoms stuff.

18. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoy Feigen, he's a good writer and funny on twitter.

Solomon is absolutely terrible.