1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think about Watson?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Apr 27, 2017.

?

How will watson turn out?

Poll closed May 27, 2017.
  1. Goat

12.6%
  2. Great

54.8%
  3. Average

22.2%
  4. below average

5.9%
  5. Terrible

4.4%
  1. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

OK, now I get it, and it's true about players becoming successful elsewhere after they leave the Texans... wasn't reading it that way (though that's pretty much exactly what he wrote)... was blinded by the JJ Watt trolling.

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I really wanted Mahomes, but also realize he would most likely need a year or more development. KC spoiled that dream, but we got D. Watson, who has rare intangibles and competitiveness. I think two things are key to his and our success...
    1. Billy OB willingness to give Watson some time to develop, but also design some plays that take advantage of his strengths.
    2. Watson working his butt off and developing the skills to play pro ball, both mentally and physically.
    I really like the odds on #2, I hope #1 happens as well. I would love to see Watson get to run a few plays each game in certain situations as he's developing his feel for the game.

3. Fantasma Negro

Earliest thanksgiving, latest Christmas

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Okay, now I'm a little concerned.
    First off as you all know I wanted the Texans to go after Mahomes. So this whole time I have been watching his videos, dissecting his game and all for like 2-3 months now. This whole time I had never really paid too much attention to the other QB'S . Just a video here , a video there.
    Since we've drafted Watson I have been doing the same with his videos and I've noticed that velocity thing that everyone spoke of. From wind up to throw it just looks underwhelming. It scares the crap out of me.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Sports Science studies Watson, Kizer, and Trubisky.

Watson has the quickest release of the 3...and his velocity was clocked at 53.5 (I know the combine said 49, but Ive heard other sources say that he can throw it faster than that). Sports Science says its slower than the other two due to his flat footed stance when he throws. Im guessing with some technique improvement, he can throw the ball 2-3 mph faster. They also said that even though Kizer has the strongest arm of the 3, due to the way he plants his feet, it actually leads to more inaccuracy. Taking account release time, velocity, and mechanics, Watson was the highest graded of the 3 QBs, in their opinion.

I think the velocity thing is overblown. Accuracy is a much more important variable for success.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

High Praise

Rocket River

7. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

It's the accuracy that scare me. He sees over the top and has a decent release. And he's smart. Basically, he has everything,

except,

the ability to throw the ball where it needs to be thrown.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

What if the Texans trade Savage for a primo offensive lineman and start Watson. Wouldn't that be wild? If I am Savage, I would be thrilled to be in a place where I am seen as the savior instead of a placeholder.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I doubt anyone will give us a good ol for savage

Besides, I'd rather have another potentially good qb

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He completed 67% of his 1,200 passes in college, averaging 8.4 YPA. Last year, he ranked 10th in completion % among all CFB while finishing 9th in pass attempts.

Why are people suddenly inventing an issue with accuracy? He's consistently been one of the more accurate passers in college football for three years.

#150 Hey Now!, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    zeeshan2 likes this.
  11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Please be good!!! I love you bro

Nimo likes this.
  12. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Because people cant fathom that we really did get the best qb in the draft. They have to invent things like, "panic move", or "slow release"....

Just let them keep thinking that, then sundays this fall we start counting those "justwinz"

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think we should deem him the new "Primetime". I'm sure Sanders won't mind.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Under BOB's offense? Who knows. I'm hoping for great, but you know what they say about nice guys. Ask Brock. Oh, all sarcasm aside, lets hope he will be great, even under BOB's amazing offense.