1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think about Watson?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Apr 27, 2017.

?

How will watson turn out?

Poll closed May 27, 2017.
  1. Goat

12.6%
  2. Great

54.8%
  3. Average

22.2%
  4. below average

5.9%
  5. Terrible

4.4%
  1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

More derogatoriests (pending trademark):

...Morris, now SMU's coach but Clemson's offensive coordinator at the time, says he told Swinney. "But this kid Deshaun Watson is better than Vince Young.""

"How the heck did that just happen?" recalls senior guard Eric Mac Lain. "I watched [former Clemson All-America QB] Tajh Boyd for four years. I never saw him make a play like that. This kid just stepped on campus and was phenomenal."

Deshaun Watsonā€¸Verified account @DeshaunWatson4 29 Apr 201 Happy Birthday to my Beautiful Mother! I'm proud to say I'm 1 of your kids!...

"A few months later, Watson and Davis met with Monroe Free, the executive director of Habitat for Humanity in Greenville, and hatched a plan for how Watson could become the face of the organization in South Carolina. Watson shared his story with Free and said he wanted to reach out to other kids who'd grown up in Habitat houses. When the meeting was over, Free returned home and gushed to his wife: "He's a kid that you say, 'I hope our kids grow up like that.'""

"A few days later, Free was on the phone with the directors of Habitat International.
    "We've got a kid here who'll be a terrific spokesman for us for years to come," he told them."

the shark likes this.
  2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Trump

Phillyrocket and FLASH21 like this.
  3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Bobrek is desperately trying to save face. Bless your heart. Just take your loss and move on, son.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

5. Buck Turgidson

Jesus, now he's patronizing old people. Will it ever stop?

6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

There is no perfect scheme in drafting any player in any round. They all come with some risks.

I'm just saying there isn't much difference in grade between the Watson/Peterman....imo
    Watson with *weapons Clemson has, make him look better than he is......grade 87
    Watson as Pitt Panthers QB score...............................................................grade 84 (hypothetical)
    (*Weapons: walterfootball rated: Williams #1 WR, Leggett #7 TE, Gallman #12 RB)
    Pittsburgh: James Conner #17 RB. I don't see others rated. Note the WR or TE if you see them.

Peterman as Pitt QB score.......................................................................grade 83
    Peterman as Clemson QB........................................................................grade 86 (hypothetical)

Tom Brady probably had a grade of 74 or worse coming out of college.

People can like him or hate him.....that's their prerogative. Me on the other hand I will give Watson
    a break the first yr as I know he will struggle.....but going into the second year if he is still struggling
    with the pro game; I'm going to blast him.

I'm told he just has minor flaws that can be easily worked out. The NFL quarterback graveyard is littered
    with so many corpses of guys who had minor flaws that were easy to correct. David Carr was drafted
    by Houston and had a minor flaw of throwing passes too close to the heads of the line of scrimmage.
    Houston set up ladders to try to help him get some loft and learn throwing lanes. Did not help.

Kaepernick supposedly doesn't look down field when rolling left.....so every team knows to flush him left.
    Easy fix in practice is having a guy 30 or 40 yds down field holding a card with a word for Kaepernick to have
    to identify. If he can tell what the word is......it's not visual. If he can't tell you what the word or color is.....
    then it's vision....or inability to turn or open his hips/shoulders to throw while rolling. Easy fix.....yet hasn't
    fixed the flaw 4 or 5 years after his rookie/super bowl run.

#106 Jatman20, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Watson threw 32 INTs in 1,207 attempts at Clemson.

Jamis Winston threw 28 in 851 attempts; Winston would've throw 40 if he'd maintained his NCAA pace across 1,207 attempts.

Cam Newton only threw 280 passes at Auburn - but his pace (7 INTs) was right in line with Watson's (30 if 1,207 attempts).

Matt Ryan threw 37 picks at BC (1,347 attempts), a slightly higher pace than Watson's.

So, a) he didn't throw a TONNNNNNNNNNNN of picks; b) non-system guys who were likely asked to carry more of their team (so, for instance, not Marcus Mariota) tend to throw more picks because they're trying to make things happen.

I don't think it's a huge deal.

mikol13, sammy, Fyreball and 3 others like this.
  8. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I'm not disappointed in fans wanting the QB's pushed by the media.
    If the fans want Watson....more power to them.

I just dislike people/media pushing for a top end drafted QB......only wanting to discard them a year or
    two later. The media wants a new QB every two years like my ex wife wanted a new car every two years.

#108 Jatman20, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Charlie Ward had all of the intangibles and won the Heisman Trophy and wasn't even drafted. Watson is the next Charlie Ward.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But, wait... Watson *was* drafted. How is he the next Charlie Ward? Does he play basketball?

The NFL of 2017 is light years different from the NFL of 1994. Charlie Ward would be drafted if he had played in this era.

11. bobrek

Just keep telling yourself that.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Let's find any Black QB without looking at their game, and compare Watson to. LOL.

macho87, Joshfast and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Somehow he's Mike Vick *and* Charlie Ward.

Haven't seen Cunningham mentioned yet.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yeah...let's ignore the 83 TDs he threw....along with the 9,000+ yards...lol.

Sooty and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  15. bobrek

Article in the Chronicle today with Swinney comparing Watson to Jordan:

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...Watson-Michael-Jordan-comparison-11107333.php

A relevant paragraph from an AFC scouting director:

"Michael Jordan was someone who always wanted to take the last shot with the game on the line and had the confidence and skill that he would generally win the game for his team," an AFC scouting director said when asked about Watson. "I see what Dabo was saying in regards to Watson. He always believes that he will make that critical play, whether it's a tough throw you have to have or scramble out of something to get you in position to fight again.

"His coaches believe in him. His teammates believe in him. When you talk to the people at his school and you watch this kid play, you can see why Dabo said that. He does have that Michael Jordan kind of quality that you can't teach. It's an undeniable thing."

16. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

well you should pay better attention, trailer-trash. watson to the chiefs (andy reid) was speculated for just that comp.

17. Mr. Space City

can ya'll take this race bullshit somewhere else and let us talk about football?

18. basketballholic

Reminds me most of Joe Montana.

19. liveguy

liveguy Member

Charlie Ward wasn't drafted because the NFL back then was EXTREMELY racist when it came to black QB's.

Charlie played in the NBA instead.

...lmao @ comparing him to a upper tier dual-sport athlete like Ward as if that's a bad thing...even though Ward and Watson are NOTHING alike in any way to begin with, other than being black.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think we have a situation he can successfully in and be great... But I hope he doesn't get rushed before he is ready