1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you guys think of Uber's threat to leave Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Brando2101, Apr 29, 2016.

?

How do you feel about the regulation complaints Uber has against the City of Houston?

1. I support Uber. Ease regulations.

51.9%
  2. I support the city even if Uber decides to leave Houston

48.1%
  1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What exactly is there to hate?

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Do you hate Lyft too or just Uber?

What about getme? Lol

Are there any other apps you can tell us your irrational hatred for?

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I hate it so no one should be allowed to use it

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i dont use uber/lyft and had no plans to vote, but their misleading, confusing and deceptive ad campaign pissed me off. i got at least 10 mailers from them (i had three in one day last week!) and a half dozen people coming to my door (and that was just when i was home...no telling how many actually stopped by). they paid our former mayor $50,000 "consulting fee" to advocate for prop 1 and featured him in more misleading ads claiming that it was actually the city who was being misleading.

$9 million spent and they lost! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

if they had been honest about it and not spammed the people of austin so hard for the last month they probably would have won. most people i know were like me and totally turned off by the way they campaigned.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't use Uber, therefore no one should
    -Austin suburbanite

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

As a driver I like Lyft better than Uber.

Uber misleads drivers into thinking part of what they pay drivers in their fare is also allocated in tips but that's not true either. Uber removed the tip function and won't implement it again which sucks. Lyft has tipping open which is good for drivers and it's optional the way it should be.

Lyft also has a setup for drivers who work a certain number of hours and at peak times when passenger demand is high where they'll only take 10% or 0% of your total earnings for the week. They also have instant pay once you've earned $50 minimum.

So for instance if you work 30 hours a week and work 10 peak hours where passenger demand is high, Lyft will only take 10% of their cut.

If you work I believe 50 hours and work the 10 peak hours (it's a part of the 50 hours) where demand is high, then you take home 100% of your earnings. So they reward their drivers better for putting in longer hours.

And you need that extra 10 or 20% in your paycheck because most people around Austin use Uber so your pay check before each company takes their cut is generally smaller.

I only ever exclusively used one app over the other when guarantees for one were significantly better. Otherwise I'd just have both apps online and would wait for a ping. I think most drivers do that and work stuff like Favor and Postmates when rider demand is slower but delivery is high.

So Pros with Lyft over Uber:

Potential to keep 90% or 100% of your earnings.
    Tip function enabled
    Generally better fares for drivers than with Uber although not significant.
    Much better version of instant pay.

Cons with Lyft over Uber:

Less rider demand.
    Their version of surge caps at 300% whereas I've seen Uber get upwards of 6x the normal fare.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Let them get the F out or play by your rules. Stop letting these businesses run your lives, and stop letting wide eyed consumers fall for their crap.

It's a great service, but not more great than the potential $$$ out of your pockets.

9. Commodore

Or you could just, you know, not use them.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Austin suburbanites did not get to vote because they don't live in Austin.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not really. Business this size tends to begin infringing on your freedoms and civil liberties. From the early symptoms not only in Austin but across the globe, Uber is trying to buy off people in charge and weaken consumer protection as well as get favorable deals that are objectively horrendous deals for the communities they operate in.

Also has a huge impact on other government services, especially public transport.

We don't live in that theoretical world where a business' influence on you is limited to your interaction with them. Today's uber is tomorrow's goldman sachs, gotta keep a leash on these "people".

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Uber is the new Wal-mart imo. They don't care about their employees and are willing to strong arm local governments to get their way.

That's a horrible model that I don't support. I didn't with Wal-mart and I won't do it now.

13. Major

Major Member

From what I've heard, the proposed background checks cost about $50. So the money spent on this campaign would have more than paid for background checks for all their drivers nationwide.

I think this is a huge point. I know a ton of people in the same situation - people like Uber, but they hate the "take my ball or go home" childish attitude.

14. Commodore

I thought the left did not like employee background checks? That they are discriminatory.

This is more about them not liking independent alternatives to public transportation and their need to control/regulate anything that moves. Background checks are just a pretense.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

Would you trust you're wife and kid in a car with a stranger who's boss doesn't do his due diligence making sure he isn't a criminal?

16. Commodore

that would be wise, but I wouldn't presume to impose my levels of risk taking on anyone else

17. REEKO_HTOWN

So you don't think high standards when it comes to public safety shouldn't be you're government's responsibility

18. Major

Major Member

Public safety is kind of a big part of local government. And citizens tend to support it. "The left" strongly supports employee background checks when it comes to safety of the public (schools, childcare, etc). The fact that you can't differentiate between issues is kind of sad.

19. Mr. Clutch

They are protecting the taxi special interests

20. Mr. Clutch

It's weird that there's only like 3 cities that care about safety and require fingerprinting for ride sharing