1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you guys think of this Mexican fan's comment ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cenbo416, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

This is a Mexican fan's comment on Fran Blinebury's writing on Yao. Is this about black players' pride ?

Original writing by Blinebury:

Yao Now
    So I'm flipping through a recent issue of The Sporting News and come across this comment from one of their basketball experts:

"We're finally seeing the Yao Ming we were promised back in 2002."

Finally? Is this guy kidding? Or just ignorant?

Yao has improved exponentially in each of his five seasons in the NBA. His scoring has gone from 13.5 to 17.5 to 18.3 to 22.3 to his current 25.6 a game. He's averaging a hair under 10 rebounds and 2.5 blocked shots.

What's more, we're seeing this season a more confident, aggressive Yao who wants the ball in the low post and knows what to do with it. He blocked eight shots in a game against the Knicks, four against Cleveland on Saturday night and already is third on the all-time Rockets list for rejections.

Offensively, yes, he benefits from Tracy McGrady's passing. But he is also carrying himself with the attitude and demeanor of an elite player who knows his place.

Nobody with half an ounce of intelligence expected -- and surely no one promised -- that Yao would walk into the NBA as a rookie and dominate. Even at 7-6, there was so much to learn. His experience was strictly playing against inferior competition in the Chinese Basketball Association and with the national team in international competition. He had to learn the language, the culture, the environment of the NBA. He had to learn what it meant, how it felt, to bang in the paint against Shaq and Ben Wallace, to comprehend the nuances of a Tim Duncan, the sheer skills of Dirk Nowitzki.

Yao is 26 and emerging as the best center in the NBA and moving toward becoming an MVP candidate.

In other words, he's right on schedule.

Comment by this fan:

Two things I hate hearing from people. Don't you wish you all had picked amare instead of Yao? and from sports analysts "Yeah Yao is doing great but he'll never be an oneal or olajuwon or one of the great centers." I think Yao gets a hard time because he is Chinese. I'm not playing a race card here by any means, but I think that when black athletes see someone of another race do great in a sport they dominated, they don't like it. I don't think is racism, I think is their pride. I'm Mexican and I don't like it when I see a white american playing soccer, notice I said American, because I think European whites are great soccer players. I just don't like people that have not shown a passion for the game try to play the game. Now back to Yao. I think it was funny how after Yao spanked Curry the rev. J. Jackson gave him a pick me up talk. To be a fly on the wall of that room, hu? I wouldn't be surprised if he said, "you can't let a chinese do that to you."
    When I hear Barkley talk of Yao as if he is no big deal, All I hear is hurt pride. I think It cost Yao the rookie of the year award, and will cost him the mvp. Yao and amare had very similar stats in their rookie year, and Yao did a great job considering his circumstances, ones amare did not have to face. Yao sold out arenas, made basketball popular in china, was voted to the allstar. Made Millions and still making millions for the NBA, and they couldn't make him rookie of the year? For what he has done for the NBA, not just the Rockets and Houston, If you were to compare it to a company in the USA, he should be the CEO, or made partner in a law firm. Awards are like performance bonuses, Yao should be the face of the NBA. Imagine that a Chinese. Who do you think would oppose that?

2. kingkow

kingkow Member

its not about being racist or anything. Its just that people had different expectations of different versions of Yao. This fan obviously wanted Yao to join the dunk competition or having 40 inches of vertical. They are clearly unaware of what Yao can do and what he cannot do. What Yao cannot do doesn't necessarily mean we are not going to win any games.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i think the comment is right on the mark.

4. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

I read this comment last night on the Chronicle blog and it stood out to me as well. I am glad somebody else noticed it too.

To sum it up, I think his comments are ridiculous. He has some issues and I if I was the Chronicle, I wouldn't publish unfounded hypothetical comments like that which are inflammatory without any factual basis.

The NBA loves milking Yao. It's the general public that hasn't gravitated towards him yet. The race argument against Yao could be better made for the fans than the NBA.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think it may have something to do with expectations and pre-conceived notions.. but not because of his race. I think people think he should have always been able to do _______ if he was "good" because of his height. And then people also expect him to act a certain way, but his personality is different, and people aren't used to that. His personality may be like that b/c of where he was brought up, but that's not b/c his race is making him be like that..

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A fairly accurate observation. It could be used to explain Kenny and Sir Charles and their very demeaning attitude towards Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets,
    which one would not expect from exrockets players.

7. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

I'm sorry I don't think you get what he said. It's not about race. The question is: Is it about pride ?

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

:confused:

Nah, saying you "don't like it" when you see " a white american playing soccer" has nothing to do with pride. It is racism...

This guy has to deal with his own problems before he starts criticizing others.

9. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I think there were many inflated expectations for Yao when he first came to the NBA. Like it or not there was a huge amount of hype around him the first year and even before he came to the court. Like any big trend there is going to be a fair amount of counter reaction to hype and the fact that Yao stumbled in his first few games only added to that negative hype.

Looking back in hind sight its obvious that Yao's development would be longterm but our culture and media is too often focussed on the short term. On top of that the multiple sports media formats, blogs and other forums means that hyperbole and snap decisions are way more likely as analysts try to outdo each other in definative opinions. The sports media these days isn't geared towards patience.

I'm leery of the racism angle but I think there might be some level of it there. I would be very hesitant to consider that a big motivator of negative coverage of Yao. Less than racism though nationalism might play a bigger factor. Politicians on both the PRC and the US side have for years been fostering a rivalry between the two nations. Unfortunately for Yao he has in many ways become a symbol of national pride for the PRC and conversely a threat to many Americans.

10. rocketsmetalspd

I don't believe race has anything to do with the bias Yao gets. Maybe because he is not an American. I remember when Dream was around Robinson and Ewing were the centers more likely to be great back in those days. Olajuwon's name was not mentioned as much till his game started kicking ass day in and day out.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Race certainly is an issue when talking about Yao.......this guy was 100% right on the money.

DD

12. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

IMO, race is definitely a big factor in the bias towards Yao, and yet nobody is going to admit it because of the sensitivity of the issue.

13. Irfan

Irfan Member

I think in our society, as in most in the world, race is always an issue. I am not sure how significant of an issue it is when applied to how Yao is perceived by the general public, but it would be foolish to say that it plays no role at all.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think it was a very well thought out post and the author makes some very good points.

When Magic and Larry played you never heard anyone say that the only reason Magic received so much attention was because he was black. But some people...Isiah Thomas for example did claim that Larry Byrd was no big deal and the only reason people thought he was so great was because he was white.

The Mavericks of the Dirk, Nash, MF4 era was consistantly called soft and people like CB4 were always saying that they could never make it to the championship because they were so soft. Was it because so few on those Mavs teams were black? That is what it seemed they were implying. We never heard that about teams like the Kings or Trailblazers and yet they did not accomplish anymore than the Mavs if they accomplished as much.

Now we hear from CB4 and the TNT crew how 26 pts and 10 rebounds can be averaged and yet not be dominate. Yao Ming has been a better defensive player than Amare since he entered the league. With the exception of 2 years ago Yao's yearly averages have either been on par or better than Amare's averages. Dwight Howard's PPG has yet to even come close to Yao and yet both of those players are seen as better in the eyes of guys like CB4 and Kenny Smith. Even when Yao out scores, out rebounds and all around out plays the Deisil when no one else has ever spanked him like Yao...and yet it still was not a dominate performance according to the TNT guys.

I think it's clear that Yao does in fact suffer from some of the same stereotypical comments that Larry Byrd had to put up with when he played. I truely beleive there will always be a group that will refuse to acknowledge his greatness because of his skin color and nationality.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Ming has still not been fully accepted into the exclusive "fraterity" called the NBA. Come on people, the All Star game is like a "hip hop" festival. What are the dress codes, no head band rules about? Downplay of the "gangsta" image? Mean ole Jewish commisioner! Do you think many PGA player are just tickled "white" about Tiger? Black hockey players anyone? Race and sports, they go together like socks and feet.

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Yeah, those black people, they're such racists.

Next.

17. crash5179

I couldn't disagree more.

Yes there was a ton of hype surounding Yao when he was first drafted but almost all of the so called media experts including CB4 said Yao would be a bust. He was consistantly compared to Shawn Bradley and his ceiling as a player was said to be Rik Smits at best. CB 4 once said Yao would never score 20pts in a game which is why he kissed the Donkey on the ass.

If anything Yao has over acheived if you are going by the origanal media expert predictions which are the same group that are now acting like Yao 26 and 10 are not dominate enough.

18. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

This fan supports the idea that people who see racism under every rock are usually racists themselves.

19. crash5179

Dream kicked ass day in and day out from day one. He as seen as the next great center by his second year. Ewing was rated higher than Dream because he was a better college player and played his pro career in New York. I think only people in SA rated Robinson better than Dream. All in all I don't think anyone ever accused Dream of not being dominate.

20. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

lol..you have to be joking. this is the most twisted view of sports I have ever read. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.